News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV to obihai/attached phone - considered forwarding?

Started by JuliettOscar, April 18, 2018, 03:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuliettOscar

I looked into using a Google Voice number so a federal inmate can make cheaper calls to a local number, but having a GV number forward to another cell phone or landline is a no-no.

Is it considered forwarding when a GV number rings a phone attached to an obihai device?

drgeoff

Quote from: JuliettOscar on April 18, 2018, 03:54:39 PM
I looked into using a Google Voice number so a federal inmate can make cheaper calls to a local number, but having a GV number forward to another cell phone or landline is a no-no.

Is it considered forwarding when a GV number rings a phone attached to an obihai device?

1. Who says that "having a GV number forward to another cell phone or landline is no-no"?

2.  Technically speaking an OBi behaves as a Google Chat client and you tick a box as in the attached screenshot.  Whether that is considered forwarding depends on the judger's definition of "forwarding".

JuliettOscar

Quote from: drgeoff on April 18, 2018, 04:50:31 PM
1. Who says that "having a GV number forward to another cell phone or landline is no-no"?

Federal Bureau of Prisons. They don't allow forwarding technology.

I wish I understood more about the technology used. I don't want to break any rules and have this inmate lose privileges. 

SteveInWA

Google Voice is not a way to reduce prison phone call costs.  The prison will block the calls.  Don't even waste your time with this.

There is apparently "prison lore" about using Google Voice for inmate calls, in that we've seen this question for years, thousands of times.

At one point a few years ago, the FCC was considering forcing the contractors who supply inmate calling service to not charge exorbitant calling rates (i.e. charge no more than the prevailing rate for the public to make a call, plus some fixed fee for the prison infrastructure).  One of the largest inmate calling companies lobbied so hard that the FCC apparently gave up.  Blame the evil parasites who are ripping off vulnerable families of inmates.

JuliettOscar

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 18, 2018, 06:30:57 PMOne of the largest inmate calling companies lobbied so hard that the FCC apparently gave up.  Blame the evil parasites who are ripping off vulnerable families of inmates.

Oh, I do.

I do think GV works in some places though. I don't think its banned across the board. I'm considering callcentric too, which I've been told does not use forwarding technology (assume GV might be the same?) and wouldn't violate FBOP rules. Google was just my first choice, obviously, because its free. Callcentric is pretty cheap too. I have an obi202 I was hoping to put to use for this.

SteveInWA

Callcentric would work.  voip.ms is cheaper, and it should work for your purpose.  $4.25/month for unlimited inbound calling.

JuliettOscar