News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI200 does not work for incoming calls

Started by dongs, April 20, 2018, 05:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dongs

I have been using OBI 100 and google voice for years and just upgraded to OBI 200. I simply plugged in the device just like previously. However, I can place outgoing calls fine, but for the incoming call, my OBI phone does not ring any more. I tried to delete the device and added it back in, and tried to delete google chat on google voice setting (as per instructions found on obitalk.com), and neither resolved problem. Would someone help please? Thanks!

SteveInWA

Hi:

Assuming you are not using the brand-new Google Voice WiFi/4G VoIP calling beta, there are only a few possible reasons that inbound calls don't ring.  The three most common are:  You don't have a check mark to the left of "Chat", you failed to go through the OBiTALK website setup, and/or, when you went through the setup, you didn't notice that you authorized your OBi to use the wrong Google account (an account other than the one that holds your Google Voice number).

Go to the OBiTALK web portal.  Click on the SP1--SP4 slot you used to configure Google Voice.  Look at the Gmail address it displays. That address must be for the Google account that holds your Google Voice phone number.

dongs

Thanks! I have no idea what this Google Voice WiFi/VoIP calling beta is, but I did not change any settings other than removing the old device and adding the new one. Since I the incoming call does not ring, I tried to check and play around with the configurations. I just checked again and I do have "Chat" checked, and the google account is the correct. Although my OBI phone does not ring, the cellphone that I forward my Google Voice number to does ring. Any more suggestions? Thanks a lot!

BillyS

Steve-

What happens if I am using the Google Voice WiFi/4G VoIP calling beta.  (I am using it only from voice.google.com.  Not on a cell phone)

SteveInWA

Quote from: dongs on April 22, 2018, 07:03:23 AM
Thanks! I have no idea what this Google Voice WiFi/VoIP calling beta is, but I did not change any settings other than removing the old device and adding the new one. Since I the incoming call does not ring, I tried to check and play around with the configurations. I just checked again and I do have "Chat" checked, and the google account is the correct. Although my OBI phone does not ring, the cellphone that I forward my Google Voice number to does ring. Any more suggestions? Thanks a lot!

What do you mean by "removing the old device and adding the new one"?  Did you go through the entire Google Voice setup procedure for the new device?   You must do that.

I suspect that, even if you did go through the Google Voice setup, you accidentally authorized OBiTALK to use the wrong Google/Gmail/Google Voice account.  When you do this, and that account has no Google Voice inbound telephone number, you can't receive inbound calls.

Call some other telephone number from this OBi.  Look at the caller ID on the other telephone.  Does it display the correct Google Voice telephone number?

SteveInWA

Quote from: BillyS on April 22, 2018, 11:13:42 PM
Steve-

What happens if I am using the Google Voice WiFi/4G VoIP calling beta.  (I am using it only from voice.google.com.  Not on a cell phone)

See:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13755.msg88331#msg88331

dongs

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 23, 2018, 01:37:29 AM
Quote from: dongs on April 22, 2018, 07:03:23 AM

What do you mean by "removing the old device and adding the new one"?  Did you go through the entire Google Voice setup procedure for the new device?   You must do that.

I suspect that, even if you did go through the Google Voice setup, you accidentally authorized OBiTALK to use the wrong Google/Gmail/Google Voice account.  When you do this, and that account has no Google Voice inbound telephone number, you can't receive inbound calls.

Call some other telephone number from this OBi.  Look at the caller ID on the other telephone.  Does it display the correct Google Voice telephone number?

Steve, thanks again for your message! On the configuration page, I used the "Delete Device" link to delete it, and "Add Device" from dash board to add the device. I did walk through the google voice set up as well. I also tried to call another number from OBI phone and it displayed the correct google voice number. I am completely puzzled... Please help. Thanks!

SteveInWA

Using a laptop or desktop web browser, not a tablet or phone, sign into the correct Google / Gmail account, and go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings.  Click the three horizontal bar, "hamburger" menu icon in the upper left corner, then scroll down and click "Legacy Google Voice."  Then, click the gear icon in the upper right corner, and click "Settings".  On the Settings page, you should see your Google Voice number listed at the top.  If you don't, it is the wrong Google account.  If you do see it, then make sure there is a check mark to the left of the "Google Chat" entry.

dongs

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 23, 2018, 08:19:43 PM
Using a laptop or desktop web browser, not a tablet or phone, sign into the correct Google / Gmail account, and go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings.  Click the three horizontal bar, "hamburger" menu icon in the upper left corner, then scroll down and click "Legacy Google Voice."  Then, click the gear icon in the upper right corner, and click "Settings".  On the Settings page, you should see your Google Voice number listed at the top.  If you don't, it is the wrong Google account.  If you do see it, then make sure there is a check mark to the left of the "Google Chat" entry.

Steve,

Thanks again. I actually have followed these steps (since they are in the FAQ) many times and they did not help. Actually, I also tried to delete "google chat", log out, and log back in and verified "google chat" came back with the check mark on. After doing this, the incoming call rings and appears to work fine, but this is only for 1 call. Later incoming calls do not ring again. I have tried this several times as well, the behavior is consistent.

I thought about starting from "clean", so tried to delete device, and "Add Device" from dashboard, call the number to register/activate the device, and set up google voice. Again, tried this several times and did not get it working. :( Help please. Thanks!

azrobert

Were you using the Simon Telephonics Google Voice Gateway on your OBi100? If you were, you need to disconnect it from your GV account.

Lavarock7

My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

larrylwill

I see this thread has no further activity with no solution. I have the exact problem, and I do mean exact. Ever since I bough the 200 last week. At first it worked but then it stopped, I deleted the account and started over and it worked then it didn't, I have tried every thing I can find on the web and here and NOTHING WORKS, no incoming ring. Reset the Obii, deleted the account, checked and unchecked chat, reset up the account. It just plane doesn't work. Im ready to send it back to amazon and get a paid service.
Maybe it was a bad batch of Obii 200s from Amazon, I don't care, it doesn't work. I used the 100 for years without problems.

Tiembi

I just set up my obi200 today and when i go to google voice, even in legacy mode, the chat option is not there.  Does anyone know how to get that back?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Tiembi on April 25, 2018, 12:51:01 PM
I just set up my obi200 today and when i go to google voice, even in legacy mode, the chat option is not there.  Does anyone know how to get that back?

Post a screenshot of the Legacy settings page, with any personal information blacked out, but leave the last four digits of any phone numbers exposed.

dongs

Quote from: azrobert on April 24, 2018, 08:28:49 AM
Were you using the Simon Telephonics Google Voice Gateway on your OBi100? If you were, you need to disconnect it from your GV account.

Yes, I was using the gateway, but since I have already deleted the OBI100 device, I assume it has been disconnected. Do I need to do anything additionally to disconnect it? Thanks!

dongs

Quote from: larrylwill on April 25, 2018, 10:29:12 AM
I see this thread has no further activity with no solution. I have the exact problem, and I do mean exact. Ever since I bough the 200 last week. At first it worked but then it stopped, I deleted the account and started over and it worked then it didn't, I have tried every thing I can find on the web and here and NOTHING WORKS, no incoming ring. Reset the Obii, deleted the account, checked and unchecked chat, reset up the account. It just plane doesn't work. Im ready to send it back to amazon and get a paid service.
Maybe it was a bad batch of Obii 200s from Amazon, I don't care, it doesn't work. I used the 100 for years without problems.

Finally I am not alone...

drgeoff

Quote from: dongs on April 25, 2018, 06:06:06 PM
Quote from: azrobert on April 24, 2018, 08:28:49 AM

Yes, I was using the gateway, but since I have already deleted the OBI100 device, I assume it has been disconnected. Do I need to do anything additionally to disconnect it? Thanks!
Disconnecting the OBi from the Simonics gateway does not disconnect the gateway from your GV account.

You should log in at simonics.com and click the link "Deauthorize Google Voice connection"

lacakid

:o I have an OBI202 have had for 3 years with 2 google voice #'s configured... Has been fine up until today?  Any ideas? logged into the dashboard everything is green can place calls on both numbers... the unit will not ring either line for incoming calls.  Checked Google and Google Talk has always been selected nothing has changed there...

Would appreciate the help!

Thanks Tom :)

SteveInWA

Quote from: lacakid on April 26, 2018, 08:03:43 PM
:o I have an OBI202 have had for 3 years with 2 google voice #'s configured... Has been fine up until today?  Any ideas? logged into the dashboard everything is green can place calls on both numbers... the unit will not ring either line for incoming calls.  Checked Google and Google Talk has always been selected nothing has changed there...

Would appreciate the help!

Thanks Tom :)

Hi Tom:

Sign into your two Google Voice accounts in a web browser, and go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings

Confirm that you see each account's inbound Google Voice number.  If you don't then the number(s) were either reclaimed or suspended for abuse.

If the numbers are there, then, one account at a time, add at least one US mobile or land line number as a linked, forwarding phone number.  Call the Google Voice number (or have a helper call it), NOT from your other GV number nor from a linked phone number.  The expected behavior is that the linked phone number will ring.  Does it?

Reminding myself to never take anything for granted, you do know that you must have a check-mark next to Google Chat in the old, "Legacy" Google Voice settings, right?  Take a look to confirm.  And, even more of a Homer Simpson mistake, try another telephone.  You may have turned off the ringer on the phone, or it may be broken.