News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

After End-Of-Service -- Way to Use Google Trunk For Outgoing?

Started by VideoHead, May 04, 2023, 10:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VideoHead

After 12-18-2023, Google Voice may stop working on the Obi 200/202. Incoming calls won't be a problem for me as I set it up in the first place to forward to another DID. I'm concerned about outgoing as I've just funded it to be able to call the UK after ridiculous price hikes by both Voip.ms and Callcentric for those routes. (Landlines went from a penny a minute to almost half a buck.)

Other than I assume I'll still be able to place GV calls via a web browser to my DID, will there be any direct way to initiate Google Voice for outgoing by picking up the phone?  Do any other devices support the protocol, or is the protocol itself going away?

Thanks in advance.

psuPete

On the Google Voice webpage, towards the upper right-hand part of the page, you'll see a CALL AS (your GV #) and below that, an input fields that has a type-over of ENTER A NAME OR NUMBER.  Enter the telephone number of your correspondent.  You will get additional prompts to where GV should call YOU and then after you answer that call, it will connect you to your correspondent.

[I noticed that the CallCentric rate to Ireland is quite cheap.  Maybe it is a problem with Brexit? ;-) ]

unmesh

Quote from: psuPete on May 04, 2023, 02:13:25 PMOn the Google Voice webpage, towards the upper right-hand part of the page, you'll see a CALL AS (your GV #) and below that, an input fields that has a type-over of ENTER A NAME OR NUMBER.  Enter the telephone number of your correspondent.  You will get additional prompts to where GV should call YOU and then after you answer that call, it will connect you to your correspondent.

[I noticed that the CallCentric rate to Ireland is quite cheap.  Maybe it is a problem with Brexit? ;-) ]
If I put in an international number in that field, Chrome calls the number right away rather than calling my Obi to bridge the call. Am I missing something?