News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't make or receive calls using GVoice since this morning

Started by ubergoober, May 05, 2018, 02:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paintedjaguar

I have been using an OBi202 with Google Voice through a Netgear C3700-100NAS Modem/Router since Dec2016 and have never had a problem until today (Dec 8, 2019). When I tried to make a call today I got this error message:

"The number you dialed has not received a response from the service provider."

Connecting with the OBi202 device thru browser/IP address showed a good connection with my router, but no response from Google Voice. The LEDs on the OBi indicated power and router connection, but no phone service.

After finding this thread, I followed the reset procedure posted by SteveInWA and successfully restored my phone service. I noted that after the reset, the OBi firmware had been updated from 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX) to 3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX).

Thanks, SteveInWA.

Connie1031

I followed your directions explicitly & my phone rings busy. I called several times & it still rings buys.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Connie1031 on January 23, 2020, 03:45:38 PM
I followed your directions explicitly & my phone rings busy. I called several times & it still rings buys.

IF you in fact performed all of the steps listed here:  https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076, then unplug the device from power.

Call your Google Voice number from some other, unrelated, non-Google Voice number. What happens, exactly, in detail?

magicwine

Hi Steve and other readers here,

If indeed this issue is caused by my original DVE 12 Volt DC 1 Amp Switching Adapter Power Supply DSA-12PFT-12 FUS 120100 which came with the obi200, am I best purchasing another brand with the same specs, or should I only buy another DVE?

The ones with the same specs, so are only 1 amp, others go up to 2A. Which should I buy and why?

Thanks
Bob

drgeoff

Quote from: magicwine on March 23, 2020, 12:23:23 PM
Hi Steve and other readers here,

If indeed this issue is caused by my original DVE 12 Volt DC 1 Amp Switching Adapter Power Supply DSA-12PFT-12 FUS 120100 which came with the obi200, am I best purchasing another brand with the same specs, or should I only buy another DVE?

The ones with the same specs, so are only 1 amp, others go up to 2A. Which should I buy and why?

Thanks
Bob
Not sure what your issue is.

Can you make a successful call to the echo test number **9 222 222 222 ? If yes there is nothing amiss with the external power unit.

If not, if the power LED on your OBi is steady green it is unlikely the external power unit is faulty.

magicwine

My issues are:

1. For some companies, when placed on hold, I get a loud whooshing sound ie white noise. They can hear me, I can't hear them. Sometimes this occurs when I choose a numbered option.
The above issue happens at least 50% of the time, if not more.

2. After a longer call, get disconnected. Happens maybe 20% of the time.

3. My google voice number is forwarding to my cell phone. When I have my cell on, sometimes I hear it ring, but my cordless phone working via the obi200 doesn't ring at the same time, which it usually does.

When I unplug the power adapter, wait about 5 minutes and replug it in, this sometimes fixes this issues. For how long, I am not sure.

I read a topic here where replacing the power adapter fixed at least one of the above issues. Figured an inexpensive and easy fix - so now knowing this, refer back to  my initial question:

Whether replacing with the same model power adapter or another one with the same specs but up to 2amps and 24 watts - which version would be more likely than not to fix this issue if it can be fixed by a replacement power adapter?

Thanks for your help.

Bob

drgeoff

A 2 amp power unit will offer precisely the same chance of a cure as a 1 amp one so if you are determined to try a replacement the choice is yours.

However I doubt that the external power unit is responsible. Suggest you try a simple diagnostic test.  Next time you cannot make a call using GV, before doing anything else immediately dial the echo test number **9 222 222 222.  Report back here if that succeeds or the exact error message if it fails.

magicwine

I don't have any issue with not being able to make calls. Only the ones I listed in my prior message.

Does your reply change based on this as well as getting the original OEM power adapter or a generic one with the same specs, up to 2A?

Thanks.
Bob

SteveInWA

You posted this issue already, in 2018.  

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=22889;sa=showPosts

It is unlikely to be caused by the power adapter.  Geoff has patiently answered today, but understand basic electricity:  a AC/DC power supply produces a designed voltage (e.g. 12VDC) at some designed maximum current, before becoming unstable, overheated, dead, etc.  Whatever you connect to that power supply (e.g. an OBiTALK device) requires power at some designed voltage (12VDC), and it consumes some quantity of power (in Watts, which is Volts x Amps).  As long as the power supply can put out sufficient current to satisfy the demand of the load (the OBi), then it doesn't matter if the power supply can safely put out 1A or 2A or 100A.  It won't make the device run any better.  The OBi 20x series requires 1A.  The early OBi IP phones needed more power.  Think of the device like a water pump, that can draw one gallon per minute.  It doesn't matter whether it is pumping from a bathtub, or the Hoover dam; it still only needs one gallon per minute.

If you want to simply satisfy your curiosity, you can buy a replacement power supply.  I have this one, purchased from Amazon, and it works just fine:  amazon.com/gp/product/B07HNL5D56.  It's ten bucks.

Given all your problems, perhaps you'd be better off using some other telephone service.

magicwine

These issues started in 2018, I believe because while out of the country, a tree hit the power line connected to my home. Perhaps it did some damage to the power supply.

At the time, I couldn't figure out how to troubleshoot as someone here told me they didn't think a replacement obi200 would solve it - perhaps they thought it was a GV issue at the time.

And last week I saw someone with similar problems advising a new power supply fixed their issues.  And since the problems do improve for some time when I unplug the power supply from the wall for 5 minutes, I am thinking it might be relative to the power supply. Previously I was keeping it plugged into the wall, but unplugging it from the back of the obi, which didn't help at all or for as long. Never thinking it was the actual adapter.

So I'll make the inexpensive choice to buy a replacement. The reason I asked whether to buy the exact same one or a different brand was because I thought perhaps the OEM adapter had some issues.

Thanks for your help. If it works I will report back here!

Bob

SteveInWA

OK.  The product I linked is a 12V, 2A supply, so it has plenty of reserve capacity.  I ran one of my OBiTALK devices with it for several months as a test, and it was fine.

magicwine

I just found an old adapter at home mfg date April 2009.

Input .5A Max

Output 12V 1.5A.

Is it safe for me to try this one?

Thank you.

Bob

drgeoff

Quote from: magicwine on March 23, 2020, 06:09:44 PM
I just found an old adapter at home mfg date April 2009.

Input .5A Max

Output 12V 1.5A.

Is it safe for me to try this one?

Thank you.

Bob
1. If you never have a problem to make a call, then the power unit is very unlikely to be the cause of problems with incoming calls. Unless you are using an old type phone with a mechanical bell the power required by the OBi is close to equal at all times.

2. That 12v 1.5A may or may not be safe.

2.1 It must output DC, not AC.

2.2  It should be 12v regulated. An unregulated 12v unit can output significantly more voltage when lightly loaded.

2.3 Positive must be the centre contact of the plug.

2.4 The plug needs to fit the OBi. There are many different sizes of barrel jack.

magicwine

Dr Geoff,

You are very helpful. Thank you very much.

Initially I thought one must use an adapter with the exact same specs. Now that I know otherwise, I checked some adapters from equipment I no longer use.

I have these two. Would one be a better choice over the other?

1. Input 120VAC, 50/60hz, .55A
Output 12VDC 1.5A

2. Input 100-120V~.4A 50-60hz
Output 12V===1.0A  LPS (this one doesn't mention DC)

Both state efficiency level  V

Thank you.

Bob

SteveInWA

JEEEEEEEEZ.  Just spend the ten bucks and buy the new one.  I guarantee that it works just fine.

magicwine

Steve - It's not at all about the $10. It's about I can fix this problem today if I'm told which of the two adapters I already have will work.

I'll immediately buy the new one if neither of these fix the issue.

drgeoff

The only thing I can be sure of is that trying another power unit is the only thing that will convince you that your symptoms are different from what started this thread and your belief that a change of power unit could provide a cure is ill founded.

I cannot and will not say that either of the two units you have will not damage your OBi.

Any power unit that is specified for 100-240 volt 50/60 Hz input and 12 volts output, centre positive will not cause damage.

magicwine

Thanks.

Earlier you stated: It should be 12v regulated. An unregulated 12v unit can output significantly more voltage when lightly loaded.

From the specs I provided, how does one know if either are regulated?

Thank you.

drgeoff

Quote from: magicwine on March 24, 2020, 04:53:52 PM
Thanks.

Earlier you stated: It should be 12v regulated. An unregulated 12v unit can output significantly more voltage when lightly loaded.

From the specs I provided, how does one know if either are regulated?

Thank you.
I can't know without having them in my hands and measuring them. That why I wrote "I cannot and will not say that either of the two units you have will not damage your OBi."