News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't make or receive calls using GVoice since this morning

Started by ubergoober, May 05, 2018, 02:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubergoober

As of this morning, we realized that inbound calls to our OBI202 were not ringing, while they did ring on the laptop computer.  Outbound calls attempts produce a SIT Tone message that says the service provider did not respond. 

Obihai dashboard says that SP1 is connecting to 64.9.240.172.  I'm on the latest firmware 3.2.2.  My GVoice number phones screen shows Google Chat as the destination and we're not screening calls.  Inbound calling worked last night at 10pm when my 89 year old father in law called to check in. 

My SP2 connection works to my Freeswitch system here at the house, so I don't suspect a device failure. 

I've deleted my SP1 provider and re-enrolled without any difference in results.  I've been through the entire OBI202 self guided troubleshooting guide.  It was no help.

Obi202 SYSLOG messages are saying:
TLS-EXT hostname: obihai.telephony.googl..
TCP:Connect OK
Trying to connect SSL..
TC:ssl connected..
REG:hHandleTcpEvent 2;wc-1..
TCP:Broken Connection(spreg) 38-l

Bottom line, it looks like google is ignoring my OBI202.  Any ideas?

Thank you - Tom

SteveInWA

Current as of August 24, 2021.

Poly has pushed out several updates to current model OBi devices to support the new Google Voice SIP-based platform.  If you have done anything to disable OBiTALK provisioning or if you made other attempts to block communications with the OBiTALK network, your device will fail to authenticate to and use Google Voice.

3.2.2 (Build: 8680EX) is the current version, as of August 5, 2021, of the 200/202 firmware that supports Google Voice.

If your device's firmware version is older than 8680EX, then download it here, and install it manually, from the device's local website (its IP address):

https://www.obitalk.com/Downloads/OBi2xx-3-2-2-8680EX.fw

A few possible issues:  it could be that you are looking at two different Google accounts, or you have blocked/disabled remote provisioning and didn't let the system take care of upgrading your device, or that you have made configuration modifications that are incompatible with the new platform, or that your device was partially upgraded, but it is now in some sort of limbo state.

Since there are multiple factors involved, and we do not have a symptom/fix knowledge base, I recommend completely clearing everything out and starting over.

Note:  do not make any of the changes below from the device's own, local web configuration page.  Do everything from the OBiTALK portal.

• Go to your OBiTALK dashboard, https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev. Click the OBiTALK device you want to use.  On the next page, click the blue "Delete Device" icon to remove it completely off of the dashboard.  Wait a few minutes while it resets and removes the device, and the LEDs have stopped blinking (except for the middle LED flickering).
  • Then, unplug the Ethernet and power cables from the device, leaving just the phone cable.  Plug back in only the power cable, and wait for it to boot up.
  • Pick up the phone and key in ***8 then 1 to confirm restore to factory defaults.  Wait for it to go through the blinking lights thing for several minutes.
  • On your browser, go here:  https://myaccount.google.com/security.  In the "Third-party apps with account access" section, click the "Manage third party-access" link, and then delete all telephony apps that have permission to use your account, including Google Voice.
  • Go to the Google Voice settings page:  (https://voice.google.com/settings), make sure you see your inbound Google Voice phone number at the top, under "Account".  If you see it, then scroll down and delete all instances of "OBiTALK device" in the Devices section.
  • Now, plug in the Ethernet cable and go to the OBiTALK dashboard, and click the button to add a device.  Follow the instructions to press **5 xxxx to add your device.
  • After the device is successfully added back, follow the instructions to add Google Voice again.
  • When you get to the step where it will ask your permission to access your Google account, look closely at the Gmail address it displays.  This Gmail address must be the same one that displays your Google Voice phone number, here:  https://voice.google.com/settings, and you must see "Google Voice number" at the top of the Google Voice settings page, with your inbound Google Voice number next to it.  If you not see a Google Voice number, then you are either looking at the wrong Google account, or you don't have a number.

ubergoober

Steve,
Those instructions worked well.  I'm pretty good at not mixing up my accounts, so that was not in play.  I did have restrictions on full management and I suspect others will run into this problem, too.

Thanks for the instructions, the help and all you do in these forums.

Tom Lynn

SteveInWA

Sheffield_Steve

There appears to be a later version of the firmware available now:

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-2-5845EX.fw

SteveInWA

During the transition to the new Google Voice VoIP platform, I strongly advise against any sort of manual firmware upgrades/downgrades.  Let the system figure out when to update your device, and to which level.

glenviewjeff

I'm getting a "Registration Not Required" status after following these steps. Has anyone seen this?

Thanks,
Jeff

SteveInWA

Quote from: glenviewjeff on May 07, 2018, 03:21:47 PM
I'm getting a "Registration Not Required" status after following these steps. Has anyone seen this?

Thanks,
Jeff

Just ignore that message.  If the service isn't working, try rebooting the device (key in ***9 then 1 to reboot).

daninwa

I'm having similar problems.  Incoming calls for GVoice numbers ring
my obi202 device, while incoming calls from t-mobile or comcast do NOT ring.
Outbound calls are not a problem. 

I've followed suggestion and directions from SteveInWa to clear everything
out and start over.  Yet incoming calls from non-Gvoice numbers still do not ring
and problem is not resolved.

Any other suggestions beyond waiting a few more days for a new firmware update
to roll out and hopefully fix the problem?

SteveInWA

Quote from: daninwa on May 07, 2018, 04:19:59 PM
Incoming calls for GVoice numbers ring
my obi202 device, while incoming calls from t-mobile or comcast do NOT ring.
Outbound calls are not a problem. 

Would you please clarify, unambiguously, what you mean?

For example, do you mean:  you have a Google Voice phone number.  When people call that number from their own Google Voice number, their calls forward to your OBiTALK device, but when people call that number from a non-Google Voice number, their calls do not forward?

Do you have a real telephone number linked to your account as a forwarding number?  If not, add and verify one, and test to see if it receives forwarded calls.

daninwa

Thank you, I'll try to clarify unambiguously.

We have a Google Voice phone number forwarded to an obi202 with the latest firmware.  It worked flawlessly for the past 15 months until several days ago.  Now when people call that number from their own Google Voice number or project Fi mobile phones, their calls forward to the obi202 device as before, but when people call that number from a non-Google Voice number, their calls do not forward anymore to the obi202, e.g., the obiTalk device does not ring in those cases.

To verify as you suggested, I linked a real telephone number to my account as a forwarding number. 
Now on testing, the linked phone receives the forwarded calls, while the obiTalk device still does not ring.

Our router is running DD-WRT, which I believe does not provide any SIP-ALG support.

SteveInWA

Please report the firmware build version currently installed on your device.

Please look at the annotated screenshot in my post linked below, and see if it looks similar to yours (specifically, if you see a OBiTALK device entry for your device.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13824.0

Please also confirm that you have NOT disabled OBiTALK provisioning nor Auto Firmware Update for this device.

daninwa

Installed software build version: 3.2.2 (Build: 5845EX)

The calls area in my "new google voice" settings does not
look like your annotated screenshot and I see no OBiTalk device entry.

Auto Firmware Update is NOT enabled.

To the best of my knowledge, OBiTalk provisioning
has NOT been disabled.  Just to be certain of this,
where would I check?

DrewMan

Hi Steve,

I had a similar issue with not able to place outgoing calls.  I followed your instructions and all is well again.  I have not received any firmware update and will hold off until it is provisioned for me (sound advice).

Just wanted to thank you for the detailed instructions.

- Drew

glenviewjeff

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 07, 2018, 03:37:38 PM

Thanks,
Jeff

Just ignore that message.  If the service isn't working, try rebooting the device (key in ***9 then 1 to reboot).

Thanks, just tried rebooting, same message. Can't place calls either. Other thoughts?

SteveInWA

Quote from: glenviewjeff on May 07, 2018, 07:10:27 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 07, 2018, 03:37:38 PM

Thanks,
Jeff

Thanks, just tried rebooting, same message. Can't place calls either. Other thoughts?

You might as well try following the steps I outlined previously on Saturday afternoon to start all over.

tpayne03

@Steve -- ha... told you so, when Grasshopper stopped forward to Google Voice after working for five years.  What a cluster.  Hopefully the OBI's work again with Google Voice someday...

CO_Steve

I have no sound either way on incoming calls. I followed your reset guide with no results. Any other ideas? It worked two days ago.

edit:  It works now. I went to double check the legacy page for chat, not there. I then found there were two identical entries for my device. Apparently when I deleted and re-added it a second entry was created without removing the first. Deleting one fixed the problem.

SteveInWA

Quote from: tpayne03 on May 07, 2018, 08:11:14 PM
@Steve -- ha... told you so, when Grasshopper stopped forward to Google Voice after working for five years.  What a cluster.  Hopefully the OBI's work again with Google Voice someday...

Did you pull that post out of your ass?  What does Grasshopper have to do with this?  And no "cluster", ALL current OBiTALK products support Google Voice NOW, not someday.

tpayne03

Yep... definitely working.  As my Obi is sitting here blinking and is non-functional and forum is lit up with people saying the same thing.  I have $40 of international GVoice credits while I was trying to make a call to China.  My Obi really is toasty now.  You get awfully testy about a $40/box.... what's the deal, take an xanax or something.  

As an embedded engineer, I'm pretty confident most of these problems are very well connected with the Polycom acquisition (which I think, I did mention "out of my ass" a month ago when all these problems started with GVoice).  Now why their boxes can't seem to roll-out a firmware update.  Well that's a f'ing cluster my friend... 

The reality is probably like 0.1% of users "hack" their Obi and somehow aren't accepting automatic updates. The reality is that this is a cluster.

If Steve from WA in a corporate forum is your point person.  That's a f'ing cluster for a company owned by Polycom. Seriously, how many billions is Polycom's market cap?