News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't make or receive calls using GVoice since this morning

Started by ubergoober, May 05, 2018, 02:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toofazt

Still not working for me... My Gmail account is a business account so @business instead of @gmail. Could that have something to do with it?

glenviewjeff

In addition to trying another Google Voice account, I tried my Anveo account. I don't have a current service plan, but my username/password are still functional. This may not be the most useful test, but I wouldn't expect to get "Connect Failed: No Response" in this scenario, which I am.

Chicago_Dave

Hi everyone,

I still cannot get my Obihai 200 to work with Google Voice.  Before May 4th, it was working fine.

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 05, 2018, 04:32:31 PM
3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) is the current version, as of May 8th, of the 200/202 firmware that supports Google Voice.
Confirmed I have the most recent 5859EX firmware version.

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 05, 2018, 04:32:31 PM
If you still see "Google Chat" on the "Legacy" settings page of Google Voice, then your device has not been properly provisioned using the new firmware.  After the conversion, there is no longer a "Chat" entry.  Instead, you'll see an "OBiTALK device" entry for each device you have authenticated to your Google account(s).
Confirmed I still see "Google Chat" on the "Legacy" settings page of Google Voice.

Please can someone help me.  I've followed this direction so many times I lost count.
I have tried:

• leaving the "Google Chat" as it is
  • removing the "Google Chat" before I remove obihai device from admin
  • leaving the Hangout integration in place within Google Voice
  • removing the Hangout integration in place within Google Voice
but somehow everytime I followed the direction, I ended up having the "Google Chat" option back inside the "Legacy" Google Voice settings.

My setup is as vanilla as it gets.  Just trying to use SP1 for Google Voice.
My SP1 status would just say:
Connect Failed: No Response (server=64.9.241.108; retry in 108s)
Sometimes I also saw:
Connect Failed: No Response; Token error (server=64.9.241.108; retry in 108s)

I've also:

• checked the "Disable SIP ALG" checkbox in my D-Link router/gateway
  • placed my obihai into DMZ in my D-Link router/gateway
  • enabled port-forwarding (TCP 5222-5223,6800) and (UDP 5060-5061,10000-11000,16600-16998,19305) as specified on Obihai FAQ

This shouldn't be this hard, and I'm an IT guy with SIP and IP Phone experience a few jobs ago. :(

Please help,

David

drgeoff

@Chicago_Dave.
If your OBi has had the firmware upgrade, then GV should have recognised that and removed Google Chat from the available destinations in the Legacy Settings.

Suggest you see http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13322.msg89615#msg89615, especially the 6th bullet point in that post.

You should not need to put the OBi in the DMZ or do all that port forwarding.

Chicago_Dave

Quote from: drgeoff on May 19, 2018, 01:51:20 PM
Suggest you see http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13322.msg89615#msg89615, especially the 6th bullet point in that post.

I appreciate the help and info, but it's the same as the instructions that I followed in this thread. :(

Anybody with any other ideas?

Thanks,
David

SteveInWA

Quote from: Chicago_Dave on May 19, 2018, 06:40:36 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on May 19, 2018, 01:51:20 PM

I appreciate the help and info, but it's the same as the instructions that I followed in this thread. :(

Anybody with any other ideas?

Thanks,
David

The point of drgeoff's post was that a) no manual futzing with Google Chat will do anything, and b) at this point, all you can do is to methodically follow my instructions to completely start over.  A small number of users' Google Voice configurations are not being updated.  The root cause is unknown.

There is no need, nor any point, to any firewall changes, if you are using a typical residential broadband service with a consumer-class router.

It's great that you have IT and VoIP experience, but ironically, the users who know "enough to be dangerous" are the ones most likely to have previously changed something that is now killing the upgrade.

Follow the steps in my post to completely wipe out everything and start over. 

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

Chicago_Dave

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 19, 2018, 06:56:52 PM
b) at this point, all you can do is to methodically follow my instructions to completely start over.

Oh believe me.  I've done this, and quite a few times.

There is no need, nor any point, to any firewall changes, if you are using a typical residential broadband service with a consumer-class router.

Thanks for confirming that.  I've removed the port customizations.  It's still in DMZ and with SIP-ALG disabled.

It's great that you have IT and VoIP experience, but ironically, the users who know "enough to be dangerous" are the ones most likely to have previously changed something that is now killing the upgrade.
I understand this sentiment, but I can assure you my Obihai200 setup is as vanilla as it gets.  Just one phone and using Google Voice with no special tinkering whatsoever.

I did, and same result.  Should I just call Obihai support?  Should I setup a rsyslog server so I can see logs?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Chicago_Dave on May 20, 2018, 09:23:57 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 19, 2018, 06:56:52 PM
b) at this point, all you can do is to methodically follow my instructions to completely start over.

Oh believe me.  I've done this, and quite a few times.

Thanks for confirming that.  I've removed the port customizations.  It's still in DMZ and with SIP-ALG disabled.

I understand this sentiment, but I can assure you my Obihai200 setup is as vanilla as it gets.  Just one phone and using Google Voice with no special tinkering whatsoever.

I did, and same result.  Should I just call Obihai support?  Should I setup a rsyslog server so I can see logs?

If the device is still under warranty, or you have paid for another year of support, then yes, contact them.

You do NOT need to have the OBi in a DMZ.  It's an unnecessary exposure to the public internet.

Cal29

Having same issue as Chicago_Dave and it started May 5th as well.  Have done SteveinWA's instructions several times over the week but to no avail.  I had submitted a support ticket twice and left several messages on their so-called "support" line but no response. Today I submitted a third ticket form with a not so veiled threat to contact the FCC--they got back to me less than 30 minutes later with: "We are still checking this issue, please wait for another day or so."  Will post If I have any updates from them.

drgeoff

Quote from: Cal29 on May 21, 2018, 11:10:20 AMwith a not so veiled threat to contact the FCC
That is an empty threat.  Neither Obihai/Polycom nor Google operate a telecommunication service over which the FCC has any jurisdiction.

I am no Obihai fanboy.  I think their PR borders on incompetence, at least one of their first-line tech support people should have been shown the door and some business decisions have been "puzzling".  However I remain of the opinion that Obihai ATAs are by far the best currently available in their market segment and that Obihai have some great Engineers. (Note the capital "E").

RFC3261

Quote from: drgeoff on May 21, 2018, 11:40:37 AM
I am no Obihai fanboy.  I think their PR borders on incompetence
As is (all too) typical of (all too) many engineering companies, they apparently decided to not spend money on marketing and customer support, expecting the "if you build it (a great product), they will come".  Which is at least mostly true, in that many real engineers will come and be successful.  Those that are looking for a toaster will have a more mixed experience, especially if they are doing anything even slightly different than the well trodden paths.

It will be interesting to see as Polycom completes the actual integration how the marketing and customer support changes.  The ATAs are (arguably) the justification of the acquisition (it was a noticeable gap in Polycom's offerings), and how they decide to market, and support, those ATAs moving forward will provide some insight about the goals.

Cal29

About an hour after I received the support email to hang-on a few more days, I received this email:

"It appears that your router is blocking the OBi connection to the internet.

Please put the OBi (IP or MAC address) in the DMZ setting in your router's
configuration.
For example:
http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Linksys/WRT54G/DMZ.htm
You can find out the OBi IP address by dialing ***1
Reboot your router and OBi once you have done the above."

This worked for me. Good luck!

Chicago_Dave

Quote from: Cal29 on May 22, 2018, 09:04:28 AM
About an hour after I received the support email to hang-on a few more days, I received this email:

"It appears that your router is blocking the OBi connection to the internet.

Please put the OBi (IP or MAC address) in the DMZ setting in your router's
configuration.
For example:
http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Linksys/WRT54G/DMZ.htm
You can find out the OBi IP address by dialing ***1
Reboot your router and OBi once you have done the above."

This worked for me. Good luck!

I'm debating whether to threathen them like you did because I've put my Obihai200 in the DMZ and it didn't make a difference.  :-[

Taoman

Quote from: Chicago_Dave on May 22, 2018, 04:28:44 PM

I'm debating whether to threathen them like you did because I've put my Obihai200 in the DMZ and it didn't make a difference.  :-[

If you're running firmware 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) and you still see Google Chat in your GV account it's not going to work regardless of where you place your OBi device.

Have you tried installing Google Voice on a different SP slot (preferably one that's never been used)? If not, I would give that a shot after deleting your current configuration.

It's pointless to try and delete Google Chat manually. Don't do it.
Hangouts has nothing to do with this so you can stop messing with that.

Chicago_Dave

Quote from: Taoman on May 22, 2018, 04:59:44 PM
Quote from: Chicago_Dave on May 22, 2018, 04:28:44 PM

If you're running firmware 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) and you still see Google Chat in your GV account it's not going to work regardless of where you place your OBi device.

Have you tried installing Google Voice on a different SP slot (preferably one that's never been used)? If not, I would give that a shot after deleting your current configuration.

It's pointless to try and delete Google Chat manually. Don't do it.
Hangouts has nothing to do with this so you can stop messing with that.

I've placed my obi200 back into the DMZ and then tried the SP2 (having never used SP2 for anything else) as you suggested.  It still gave me the same "Connect Failed: No Response (server=64.9.241.108; retry in 8s)" message, unfortunately.

I've filed a support ticket with Obihai.  Let's see if they can help shed some light.

feelsgoodman

I don't see the google chat on my GV account and I cannot receive incoming calls on my obi 200 device.

SteveInWA

Quote from: feelsgoodman on May 22, 2018, 11:14:02 PM
I don't see the google chat on my GV account and I cannot receive incoming calls on my obi 200 device.

The fact that you don't see "Google Chat" is irrelevant.

The first thing you need to do is to carefully, methodically, follow this entire set of instructions:

glenviewjeff

I'm still dead in the water with my Obi202 after the Polycom acquisition with "Connect Failed: No Response." Here's what I've tried unsuccessfully. I never did anything "weird" with settings, never forced updates or manually installed firmware. I didn't use expert settings, etc. just a basic Google Voice account.

1. Following Steve's steps carefully and repeatedly

2. Contacting support, no helpful responses other than "try again."

3. Tried a different Google Voice account and phone number, same error.

4. Tried an Anveo account, same error.

drgeoff

Quote from: glenviewjeff on May 23, 2018, 03:15:16 PM
I'm still dead in the water with my Obi202 after the Polycom acquisition
Sigh! Nothing to do with the Polycom acquisition. Everything to do with Google changing GV to a SIP based protocol instead of XMPP.

SteveInWA

I have no idea what your problem is.  Look at your OBiTALK dashboard.  Is the dot to the right of the device green or grey?  If it's grey, your issue has nothing to do with Google Voice.