News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't make or receive calls using GVoice since this morning

Started by ubergoober, May 05, 2018, 02:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicago_Dave

My obi200 shows green in dashboard. However, I cannot get a connect to the test echo server by dialing **9 222-222-222.  Perhaps this will give you some more clues?
Thanks
David

SteveInWA

Quote from: Chicago_Dave on May 23, 2018, 04:52:13 PM
My obi200 shows green in dashboard. However, I cannot get a connect to the test echo server by dialing **9 222-222-222.  Perhaps this will give you some more clues?
Thanks
David

Thanks.

Sign into your OBiTALK dashboard.  Click on the OBiTALK device, then get into Expert Configuration mode and click on "System Status".  Scroll down past the four Service Provider entries, and look at the OBiTALK entry.  Compare it to my screenshot, attached.  Does it look exactly like that (I blurred out my IP address; you should see your router's external IP address in that field)?

Chicago_Dave

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 23, 2018, 05:22:32 PM
Compare it to my screenshot, attached.  Does it look exactly like that (I blurred out my IP address; you should see your router's external IP address in that field)?

Mine said:
Status   Normal (User Mode) (5);ex-addr=67.176.162.58:10091(10091)

Not sure if the (5) or the different port make a difference.

SteveInWA

In that case, I have no freakin' idea what the problem is.  The echo test call should simply work.  Unless somebody else here has a brilliant revelation, all you can do is to get Polycom to help fix it.

LietenantDan

I have the same issue as Chicago_Dave, but mine does not look like your screen shot. this is mine
Status   Normal (User Mode) (12);ex-addr=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:10073(10073)
I also can not do the echo test

SailingMagnus

So, I'm 13 days in with GV not working on my OBI202 device for my account or my wife's.  My adapter status has light has always been Green online/registered.  Problems started out as just an Audio problem but now consistently can't make calls get a message about "the caller you are dialing is not registered with the Service Provider".  In bound calls ring the adapter but no audio streams flow.   I have experienced a hacker attacking/using my adapter to generate endless rings.   I have followed Steve's steps 6 times, have had my adapter in the DMZ not in the DMZ, cleared my browser cache before setup, used another PC for setup, and tried other changes suggested here with no luck.  I still only see the ObiTalk adapter in GV Legacy Settings, I still see a dependency on GChat for the GV App, and I still have some ObiTalk setup app appearing in my Google Apps.   To pacify my wife and get her phone back up and ringing I registered with CallCentric a few days ago and her phone SP2 has been working for 2 days with a new number.  So the adapter works fine in my network just not with GV.

Two things I've noticed and why I'm now chiming into to contribute 1) With GV moving from XMPP to SIP shouldn't the Signaling Protocol for GV Change to SIP and not be "Google Voice" when looking at the ITSP Profile - General settings in Expert mode?   (Picture attached)   2)  Steve posts a picture of the ObiTalk Service Status configuration in expert mode where I expect the ex-addr should be my cable modem's external address.  In my case the IP address is definitely NOT my external address.   (picture attached)   I'll try setting it to my external address or is that Obi/Polycomm's address? 

SteveInWA

The first screenshot is correct.

The second screenshot shows that you are using something other than a vanilla consumer/home internet service provider.  That IP address belongs to the Department of Defense.  Are you using a VPN?

Chicago_Dave

Hi All,
Just want to report back that I finally got my obi200 working with Google Voice. Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help.
The echo test really was the point that got me thinking.

Like probably many of you, the modem is where the ISP line that enters your house. In this case, my cable enters on my ground floor of my townhouse. And that's where my router/gateway is. However, that's not the most convenient location for my obi200 and my cordless phone base. So, my obi200 is connected like this:

Internet - modem - router - powerline adapter - 3 floors of power cables - powerline adapter - WiFi AP/switch - obi200

Mind you, this all worked before. Anyway, so I brought my obi200 and phone down to the ground floor next to the modem and router and sure enough it worked right away.
I then traced back one by one and sure enough it's the last Wi-Fi AP/switch that's preventing my obi200 from connecting correctly. I also swapped out one of the ethernet cables just to be extra sure.

Moral of the story, just because it worked before, doesn't mean it will work now. Check every point of your connection and work that process of elimination to your advantage.

Thanks again,

David

drgeoff

Quote from: Chicago_Dave on May 24, 2018, 08:55:05 PMSo, my obi200 is connected like this:

Internet - modem - router - powerline adapter - 3 floors of power cables - powerline adapter - WiFi AP/switch - obi200
Is that final Wi-Fi AP/Switch actually a Wi-Fi router and you are using its WAN port?  If yes, try unplugging the cable in the WAN port socket and put it into an empty LAN socket.  You'll also need to disable the DHCP server on that box.

Chicago_Dave

Quote from: drgeoff on May 25, 2018, 03:31:10 AM
Is that final Wi-Fi AP/Switch actually a Wi-Fi router and you are using its WAN port?  If yes, try unplugging the cable in the WAN port socket and put it into an empty LAN socket.  You'll also need to disable the DHCP server on that box.
Yes it is but it has a wireless AP mode that takes care of the settings and makes it a wireless AP. I didn't have time to experiment last night but I think with tweaking I can make it work. And yes right now it's on a LAN port. :)

glenviewjeff

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 23, 2018, 03:27:08 PM
I have no idea what your problem is.  Look at your OBiTALK dashboard.  Is the dot to the right of the device green or grey?  If it's grey, your issue has nothing to do with Google Voice.

It's been green all along, never gray. It has a connection to the internet. Anveo service gives the same error message. I signed up for Obitalk support about ten days ago, and they keep telling me they're contacting Google, which seems totally unnecessary given that Anveo fails as well, as well as another independent Google Voice phone number on a different login that I tested. I also told them you'd been in touch with Google re: my account and they show no problems on their end.

glenviewjeff

Quote from: Chicago_Dave on May 24, 2018, 08:55:05 PM
Hi All,
Just want to report back that I finally got my obi200 working with Google Voice. Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help.
The echo test really was the point that got me thinking.

Like probably many of you, the modem is where the ISP line that enters your house. In this case, my cable enters on my ground floor of my townhouse. And that's where my router/gateway is. However, that's not the most convenient location for my obi200 and my cordless phone base. So, my obi200 is connected like this:

Mind you, this all worked before. Anyway, so I brought my obi200 and phone down to the ground floor next to the modem and router and sure enough it worked right away.
I then traced back one by one and sure enough it's the last Wi-Fi AP/switch that's preventing my obi200 from connecting correctly. I also swapped out one of the ethernet cables just to be extra sure.

Moral of the story, just because it worked before, doesn't mean it will work now. Check every point of your connection and work that process of elimination to your advantage.

Thanks again,

David

Thank you David! How frustrating this is. I plugged my obi directly into the cable modem and suddenly Google Voice shows "connected!"

So apparently something has changed that is now incapable of getting through our routers. It doesn't appear to be specific to Google Voice changes, because Anveo also fails for me. I'm assuming it's something they inadvertently broke during the latest firmware update. I'd use the Obi in router mode, but the instructions say it's only good to 30 Mbps (when no calls are running,) and my ISP gives me over double that, so that's not going to be feasible.

I use Google Wifi mesh system and it offers no DMZ, which I imagine would have worked around this new Obitalk apparent limitation. Any suggestions?

SailingMagnus

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 24, 2018, 05:48:04 PM
The first screenshot is correct.

The second screenshot shows that you are using something other than a vanilla consumer/home internet service provider.  That IP address belongs to the Department of Defense.  Are you using a VPN?

SteveInWA, 

No VPN in use here.  I too saw that Whois show's that IP address as owned by a DoD entity which I thought was strange.   You think if I go into Expert mode and add my Cable Modem's IP ADDR for that ObiTalk configuration it would help/stick?   How does that IP ADDR get set?

Someone else posted here the recommendation from Google to go to Hangouts and make a call to upgrade/re-establish the connection to GV.   I removed my GV configuration, did the call from Hangouts and then added GV back into my Obi202 ATA.   Test calls from my phone work now work after doing that but any calls I make or receive from my GV account have no audio.   My SP2 is using CallCentric and it works fine.....

SteveInWA

Something is causing the device to think it is connecting to a DoD (.mil) address.  I have no idea what.  You'd know better than us (confess, are you a secret agent?).

Perhaps this is a DNS issue.  Try changing your DNS per my screenshot below.  You can also set the DNS in the next section, under OBiWiFi Configuration, if you're using that.

SteveInWA

Quote from: glenviewjeff on May 26, 2018, 07:58:11 AM
I have no idea what your problem is.  Look at your OBiTALK dashboard.  Is the dot to the right of the device green or grey?  If it's grey, your issue has nothing to do with Google Voice.

It's been green all along, never gray. It has a connection to the internet. Anveo service gives the same error message. I signed up for Obitalk support about ten days ago, and they keep telling me they're contacting Google, which seems totally unnecessary given that Anveo fails as well, as well as another independent Google Voice phone number on a different login that I tested. I also told them you'd been in touch with Google re: my account and they show no problems on their end.

I'm sorry, but you have some sort of network issue, and there's nothing Google can do about that.  Why don't you take your device somewhere else, like to a friend, neighbor or family member, and see if it works there, on a different network.

glenviewjeff

Steve, see my more recent message copied here. Yes it's a network issue that apparently arose after the Google Voice changes prompting Obitalk to update firmware: "Thank you David! How frustrating this is. I plugged my obi directly into the cable modem and suddenly Google Voice shows "connected!"

So apparently something has changed that is now incapable of getting through our routers. It doesn't appear to be specific to Google Voice changes, because Anveo also fails for me. I'm assuming it's something they inadvertently broke during the latest firmware update. I'd use the Obi in router mode, but the instructions say it's only good to 30 Mbps (when no calls are running,) and my ISP gives me over double that, so that's not going to be feasible.

I use Google Wifi mesh system and it offers no DMZ, which I imagine would have worked around this new Obitalk apparent limitation. Any suggestions?"

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 26, 2018, 01:33:13 PM
Quote from: glenviewjeff on May 26, 2018, 07:58:11 AM

I'm sorry, but you have some sort of network issue, and there's nothing Google can do about that.  Why don't you take your device somewhere else, like to a friend, neighbor or family member, and see if it works there, on a different network.

SteveInWA

Any suggestions?  Yes, follow my advice in the post you quoted. Go try it somewhere else.  The only thing you know now is:

• It works when you take your router out of the path.
  • It fails when your router is in the path.
  • It's not a Google Voice issue.[/]

glenviewjeff

Right, I never suggested it was a google voice issue; I pointed out earlier that the same problem occurs with Anveo service. I only want it to work at my house on the LAN; I'm sure I could hook up an old router and get it to work with DMZ etc. I get it that you're out of suggestions. Thank you for trying to help. Someone else with Google Wifi did claim success.

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 26, 2018, 05:25:21 PM
Any suggestions?  Yes, follow my advice in the post you quoted. Go try it somewhere else.  The only thing you know now is:

SteveInWA

Quote from: glenviewjeff on May 26, 2018, 07:58:11 PM
Right, I never suggested it was a google voice issue; I pointed out earlier that the same problem occurs with Anveo service. I only want it to work at my house on the LAN; I'm sure I could hook up an old router and get it to work with DMZ etc. I get it that you're out of suggestions. Thank you for trying to help. Someone else with Google Wifi did claim success.

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 26, 2018, 05:25:21 PM
Any suggestions?  Yes, follow my advice in the post you quoted. Go try it somewhere else.  The only thing you know now is:

Why not at least try testing it on some other LAN, at some other location?  At least that will be another data point implicating your own router (since you said it works when plugged directly into the cable modem).  Speaking of which, if you are using a cable company's "residential gateway", which is a combo cable modem, router and WiFi access point, and you plug your own router into that box, then you should put the cable gateway into bridge mode, so that you are not doing multiple NAT.  On the other hand, if you are using a cable modem with no gateway features (e.g. a typical "Surfboard" modem), then this doesn't apply.

VegasTech

My Obi200 has been a problem all month.  I've been using Google Voice for about 6 years now, first with an Obi101 and now with an OBI200.

The dashboard at obitalk.com shows I'm connected, as does the system status in the Obi200 device.  But calls can't come in or out.  I can restore service by rebooting the Obi200 from the html interface.  It will work for anywhere from 5 minutes to 40 minutes, then go dormant again.

Incoming calls go to Google Voice voicemail.  Outgoing calls either say that the number I've dialed has received no response from the service provider, or sometimes it says nothing.  It has never dropped an ongoing call.  I've been getting by with watching my email for missed calls & voicemail, then restart the Obi200 to call back.

I have a second Obihai device, an Obi100, connected to simonics.com as a sip device.  It works beautifully.  But that line is used by my next door neighbor.  Unfortunately simonics.com isn't accepting new accounts at this time.

I've followed all of the advice in this thread with no improvement.  The last ISP & equipment change was in January, where I changed from Centurylink DSL with a Linksys router to AT&T Mobley with a TM-AC1900 router, with no ill effects.  Then the first week of the month the Obi200 connection went haywire.

I wish I had registered an account with simonics.com for backup.  Anyone know of another Google Voice to SIP service similar to simonics.com?