News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't make or receive calls using GVoice since this morning

Started by ubergoober, May 05, 2018, 02:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

See:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=26747;sa=showPosts

You previously said you solved the problem, and it was working.  What did you change since then?  There is no reason whatsoever that it shouldn't work, and no reason that you should have to use the Simonics GVGW on a 200 series.

VegasTech

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 27, 2018, 04:42:07 PM
See:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=26747;sa=showPosts

You previously said you solved the problem, and it was working.  What did you change since then?  There is no reason whatsoever that it shouldn't work, and no reason that you should have to use the Simonics GVGW on a 200 series.

I don't know what to tell you.  I can't think of a reason either, but it's not working.  Are you suggesting the the problem is my attitude?  LOL

SteveInWA

Quote from: VegasTech on May 27, 2018, 06:08:09 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 27, 2018, 04:42:07 PM

I don't know what to tell you.  I can't think of a reason either, but it's not working.  Are you suggesting the the problem is my attitude?  LOL

I'm saying:  it was supposedly not working.  Then, it was working.  Then, it wasn't working.  Personally, I don't know what's wrong, nor how to begin troubleshooting it remotely.  All I can say, is what I posted earlier:  it should work, and there is no reason to have to resort to the GVGW.  I'm sorry I don't have any brilliant revelations to suggest.

VegasTech

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 27, 2018, 06:26:14 PMI'm saying:  it was supposedly not working.  Then, it was working.  Then, it wasn't working.  Personally, I don't know what's wrong, nor how to begin troubleshooting it remotely.  All I can say, is what I posted earlier:  it should work, and there is no reason to have to resort to the GVGW.  I'm sorry I don't have any brilliant revelations to suggest.

It's possible that it's a router issue, but router issues don't normally come and go.  Besides, I have the Obi200 sitting in the DMZ.

It's also possible that AT&T is screwing with phone connections.  Phone companies can be ruthless.

Or, Google could still be making changes.

I'm also experimenting with a Google Voice trunk on an Asterisk server (Asterisk 14, FreePBX 14, CentOS 7).  The server is located in a data center with no blocked ports.  I'm connecting with oauth 2.0 but I'm not impressed with the stability.  I'm not sure what to think.

drgeoff

Quote from: VegasTech on May 27, 2018, 06:48:00 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 27, 2018, 06:26:14 PMI'm saying:  it was supposedly not working.  Then, it was working.  Then, it wasn't working.  Personally, I don't know what's wrong, nor how to begin troubleshooting it remotely.  All I can say, is what I posted earlier:  it should work, and there is no reason to have to resort to the GVGW.  I'm sorry I don't have any brilliant revelations to suggest.

It's possible that it's a router issue, but router issues don't normally come and go.  Besides, I have the Obi200 sitting in the DMZ.

It's also possible that AT&T is screwing with phone connections.  Phone companies can be ruthless.

Or, Google could still be making changes.

I'm also experimenting with a Google Voice trunk on an Asterisk server (Asterisk 14, FreePBX 14, CentOS 7).  The server is located in a data center with no blocked ports.  I'm connecting with oauth 2.0 but I'm not impressed with the stability.  I'm not sure what to think.
1. Temporarily remove the router and connect the OBi directly to your modem.  That is not the same as having the OBi in the router's DMZ.

2. The current Motif implementation for GV trunks on Asterisk will not work when GV turns of XMPP.  It is not yet known if an alternative will become available.

glenviewjeff

Steve, thanks for the ideas. I don't have access to another network. I'm using Google Wifi directly connected to my own standalone Surfboard modem. As a workaround, I tried connecting a switch to the Surfboard and connecting Google Wifi and the Obitalk to the switch, but the Obitalk apparently never got an IP granted. Comcast said I should be allowed up to three IPs, so my guess is that may be a limitation with the Surfboard only giving out one.

It seems that Anveo and Google Voice now use similar protocols that each fail in my network configuration. (About a year ago back when GV was working perfectly behind my router, I'd tried unsuccessfully to provision Anveo 911, so it makes sense that it still fails.) Are there other VoIP providers that you know of that I can use with my Obitalk that operate under a protocol similar to the old Google Voice before this change broke so many users' connections?

Thanks,
Jeff

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 26, 2018, 08:29:34 PM
Quote from: glenviewjeff on May 26, 2018, 07:58:11 PM
Right, I never suggested it was a google voice issue; I pointed out earlier that the same problem occurs with Anveo service. I only want it to work at my house on the LAN; I'm sure I could hook up an old router and get it to work with DMZ etc. I get it that you're out of suggestions. Thank you for trying to help. Someone else with Google Wifi did claim success.

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 26, 2018, 05:25:21 PM
Any suggestions?  Yes, follow my advice in the post you quoted. Go try it somewhere else.  The only thing you know now is:

• It works when you take your router out of the path.
  • It fails when your router is in the path.
  • It's not a Google Voice issue.[/]

Why not at least try testing it on some other LAN, at some other location?  At least that will be another data point implicating your own router (since you said it works when plugged directly into the cable modem).  Speaking of which, if you are using a cable company's "residential gateway", which is a combo cable modem, router and WiFi access point, and you plug your own router into that box, then you should put the cable gateway into bridge mode, so that you are not doing multiple NAT.  On the other hand, if you are using a cable modem with no gateway features (e.g. a typical "Surfboard" modem), then this doesn't apply.

RFC3261

Quote from: glenviewjeff on May 28, 2018, 06:48:54 AM
Steve, thanks for the ideas. I don't have access to another network. I'm using Google Wifi directly connected to my own standalone Surfboard modem. As a workaround, I tried connecting a switch to the Surfboard and connecting Google Wifi and the Obitalk to the switch, but the Obitalk apparently never got an IP granted.
For your use case, for testing purposes, connect the OBI directly to the cable modem (no switch, direct), power cycle everything (especially the cable modem), and see if the OBi works with the echo test and GV after everything comes back online.  If so (and it is mostly likely), then there is something about your network setup which is outside the responsibility of the OBi, and you likely need to take the issue to the various Google WiFi support forums.

It should be noted that in most cases for residential services Comcast only offers 1 dynamic IP address.

VegasTech

Quote from: drgeoff on May 28, 2018, 02:51:52 AM1. Temporarily remove the router and connect the OBi directly to your modem.  That is not the same as having the OBi in the router's DMZ.

I'll give that a try later today.  At least that will confirm or rule-out the router as a problem.

Quote from: drgeoff on May 28, 2018, 02:51:52 AM2. The current Motif implementation for GV trunks on Asterisk will not work when GV turns of XMPP.  It is not yet known if an alternative will become available.

Yes, that's going to happen in the next few weeks.  I suppose it makes sense to stop fooling with it until then.  Come to think of it, that's probably what simonics.com is waiting for.

Thanks.

RFC3261

Quote from: VegasTech on May 27, 2018, 06:48:00 PM
It's possible that it's a router issue, but router issues don't normally come and go.
Actually, they can, depending on the specifics, and especially when using a dynamically changing connection (the AT&T LTE Mobely has the capability to dynamically choose to change connections whenever if feels like it.  The target audience for that device was intended to be casual browsing in your vehicle (that some try to use it for their home connection is a contributing reason AT&T has ended the availability of the product/service as it was originally offered (a flat $20/mo unlimited data)).

And one thing to understand that with the AT&T Mobley data connection is that you are typically double nat'ed (someone once claimed triple nat'ed, but I think they had a more complex configuration with their own router too) which can generate all sorts of challenges, compounded by the changing LTE connection.

The only thing I can think of would be to connect an additional router between the Mobley and your clients which uses a connection to a VPN provider so that you can bypass the various AT&T translations and/or blocking and connect everything to that router.  It might work.  It might not (I am not even sure the VPN connection would reliably stay up).

glenviewjeff

Oh my goodness; this is a bit ridiculous given that I'd been without phone service for a frustrating two weeks or so since Google Voice made changes and Polycom modified the firmware.

Long story related to my failed attempts at multiple routers before finally moving to Google Wifi mesh, but I had an old router I was still using as a switch (with Wifi disabled) in my office. For some (forgotten) networking reason I had to plug the incoming LAN cable (now connected to the Google WiFi LAN port) into the "Internet" port of my old router, which was of course causing double NAT and probably other VoIP-destroying firewalling.

This now unnecessary connection had worked fine before the Obitalk firmware upgrade, but broke VoIP services subsequently. All it took was moving the ethernet cable over to the LAN side of my router so no additional NAT is being performed. I'd been procrastinating replacing the router with a simple switch, but I should get around to it since it is probably costing me a bit in wasted electricity. 

RFC3261

Quote from: glenviewjeff on May 28, 2018, 12:08:04 PM
Oh my ...
Thank you for the follow up.  All too many individuals just disappear after things start working for them without follow up(*), so we never know the details of the issue(s), or what changed to get it all working again.  Multiple levels of nat can, in some cases, work, and in others not so much.

(*) Especially if the root cause is a self-inflicted hole in the foot.

drgeoff

I have had a double NATed OBi100 for more than 4 years - the ITSP in Japan gives the router a 10.x.x.x address and the router (an ancient D-Link DIR300 running DD-WRT) gives the OBi100 a 192.168.1.x address  Never had GV configured on it as its only real use is over the Obitalk network for calls with or through my OBi110 here in the UK.  However I have at various times configured several different SIP providers on it, including sipgate.co.uk, pbxes.org and my own FreePBX on my local LAN.  Never had an issue that was caused by the double NAT.

However, this thread does appear to have revealed the same or similar problem as in https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13991.0

RFC3261

Quote from: drgeoff on May 28, 2018, 12:51:23 PM
Never had an issue that was caused by the double NAT.
Yep, details always matter.  So does your router, and the CGN solution your provider offers.  STUN and UPnP all can introduce interesting issues as they try to determine how to traverse NAT and/or open ports.  And some things try to guess RFC1918 addresses break with providers that use different netblocks that are not RFC1918, but are used like private addresses (and some apps have no clue that 100.64/10 was assigned specifically for CGN solutions).

The only good news is that there is no reason to use NAT with IPv6.  The bad news is support of IPv6 SIP is often non-existent.

VegasTech

In general, I'm going to wait until Google makes changes in the next few weeks and see how it works then.  But I did make an additional change to restore incoming calls.

What I did to receive calls reliably was to create a free line at callcentric.com and then forward Google Voice calls to the callcentric number.  That works reliably because the connections to callcentric use the sip protocol, which works fine on my Obi200.  I'm still making outbound calls with Google Voice, since I can restore Google Voice service temporarily by rebooting the Obi200 from my computer.  It's not perfect, but it makes me functional again.

In using the callcentric did for incoming calls be careful to not allow outgoing calls.  If you do that you'll get stuck paying 2 cents/minute for outgoing service.  Since I already had a PBX server (FreePBX/Asterisk) setup and running, I created a callcentric trunk and incoming route, but no outgoing route.  That leaves no possibility for outgoing calls through callcentric.  I have the Obi200 connecting to my PBX server as a generic sip device to receive calls on SP2.  If I had it to do over again I would probably put callcentric on SP1 and Google Voice on SP2 so I don't get the double ring on incoming calls, but since it's only temporary I'll leave it alone.

As an additional experiment I've ordered an ObiWIFI dongle so I can connect to the AT&T Mobley directly.  That's obviously going to be an improvement because the Mobley also uses nat.  So I'm currently using two layers of nat, first through the Mobley and then again through the AC1900 router, which is clumsy.  I'll post back later this week on whether connecting directly to the Mobley helped.

SteveInWA has been a terrific resource in the past.  I'm sorry to see that he's not taking this issue seriously.  But maybe it's a moot point with the upcoming changes in Google Voice connectivity.  It could be an entirely new game a few weeks from now.

VegasTech

Quote from: VegasTech on May 29, 2018, 08:31:38 AMWhat I did to receive calls reliably was to create a free line at callcentric.com and then forward Google Voice calls to the callcentric number.  That works reliably because the connections to callcentric use the sip protocol, which works fine on my Obi200.  I'm still making outbound calls with Google Voice, since I can restore Google Voice service temporarily by rebooting the Obi200 from my computer.  It's not perfect, but it makes me functional again.

Now this is strange.  Google Voice hasn't fallen offline since putting the sip account on the Obi device.  It's been 18 hours or so.

I'm thinking this is some kind of keepalive problem, where Google Voice keepalive bits are somehow being interfered with.  I'm not sure how having an active sip account on SP2 helps keep Google Voice on SP1 alive, but adding the sip account is the only recent change I've made.

**Edited to Add**
Oops!  Never mind.  Google Voice fell offline again.

I can still make outgoing calls by rebooting the Obi200 from my web browser, and incoming calls over sip is still rock solid.

Michael_Reeder

Having the same Google Voice problems on SP1 on an Obi200.  Most current firmware installed.

Slightly interesting variations on the problem:

a. My Obi200 is directly plugged into my cable router and GV still does not work on SP1.

b. I have a different Google Voice number on SP2 and *IT HAS NEVER STOPPED WORKING!*.  What is the different between the two Google Voice numbers?...

c. Echo Test works fine.

d. I have Callcentric on SP3 and SP4 working fine.

glenviewjeff

Did you follow Steve's steps re: removing the app permissions etc?

Quote from: Michael_Reeder on May 31, 2018, 08:51:38 PM
Having the same Google Voice problems on SP1 on an Obi200.  Most current firmware installed.

Slightly interesting variations on the problem:

a. My Obi200 is directly plugged into my cable router and GV still does not work on SP1.

b. I have a different Google Voice number on SP2 and *IT HAS NEVER STOPPED WORKING!*.  What is the different between the two Google Voice numbers?...

c. Echo Test works fine.

d. I have Callcentric on SP3 and SP4 working fine.

Malachi123

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 05, 2018, 10:43:17 AM
Quote from: Malachi123 on June 05, 2018, 10:39:32 AM
Following the steps on page 1, but it's not adding the device back to the dashboard.. help?!

Why not?  What happens?  What error messages do you receive?  Is this a brand new OBiTALK product?  Which model?

If you want help, type more words in your post.  Words are free.

I just removed my post... since I got it to work. It must have been my router somehow (I now have it back the way I had it, as in that I have it linked like: modem -> obi -> router)...

One thing though, before I continue in my endeavors to get it to work: Your first post says to click on the trashcan to remove the device. I didn't have a trashcan (only trashcans are with the SP1-4 setups).. the "Remove Device" is a blue button with text, not a trashcan. Just FYI.. might confuse ppl.

Thanks so far!

SteveInWA

Quote from: Malachi123 on June 05, 2018, 10:50:09 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on June 05, 2018, 10:43:17 AM
Quote from: Malachi123 on June 05, 2018, 10:39:32 AM
Following the steps on page 1, but it's not adding the device back to the dashboard.. help?!

Why not?  What happens?  What error messages do you receive?  Is this a brand new OBiTALK product?  Which model?

If you want help, type more words in your post.  Words are free.

I just removed my post... since I got it to work. It must have been my router somehow (I now have it back the way I had it, as in that I have it linked like: modem -> obi -> router)...

One thing though, before I continue in my endeavors to get it to work: Your first post says to click on the trashcan to remove the device. I didn't have a trashcan (only trashcans are with the SP1-4 setups).. the "Remove Device" is a blue button with text, not a trashcan. Just FYI.. might confuse ppl.

Thanks so far!

Thanks!  Congratulations, after thousands of views, you are the first person to notice that error in the instructions.  It's now fixed.