News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 1062 and corporate wifi networks

Started by billsimon, May 10, 2018, 08:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billsimon

I am considering buying an Obi 1062 and would like to use the built-in wifi on a network that uses 802.1x for authentication. From reviewing the user's guide online, I can see that some 802.1x settings are available. The network I want to connect with has these requirements:

SecurityType: WPA2-Enterprise
Encryption: AES
EAP Type: TTLS
Inner EAP Type: PAP
CA Certificate: (provided)

Could anyone who's set up a phone in such an environment let me know if this kind of configuration detail is available?

SteveInWA

Hi Bill:

Yes, it should work.  The 801.1x settings are available either on the device's local webserver settings pages, or by going to Settings on the phone's LCD screen.  For some reason, the settings don't appear via OBiTALK.  My completely speculative guess is because you can't set WiFi options if you can't connect remotely to the device (catch-22).

SteveInWA

I suppose I'd be remiss if I didn't mention:  I expect that some or all models of the 1000 series phones will go out of production at some point this year.  The 2182 is the phone with the longest future lifespan of the current products.

Since Polycom already has a large selection of their own IP phones, it's logical to conclude that they will consolidate the desk phone product line, keeping the newest models.  I have a 1022, 1032 and 2182, (screenshot below is from the 2182 phone).  The 2182 has a really nice industrial design with more logically-implemented buttons and programmable keys.  It also includes both WiFi and Bluetooth built-in, as well as a gigabit Ethernet interface.

billsimon

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 10, 2018, 05:29:50 PM
I suppose I'd be remiss if I didn't mention:  I expect that some or all models of the 1000 series phones will go out of production at some point this year.  The 2182 is the phone with the longest future lifespan of the current products.

Thanks for the information. The 1062 is currently on sale on Amazon Prime for $115, a great price.

SteveInWA

"Clearance sale"!  Sounds like a good deal to me.  Enjoy.

billsimon

The Obi does NOT have an option for TTLS / PAP. The options are as follows from the pull-down menu:

MD5
TLS
TTLS-MSCHAPv2
PEAP-MSCHAPv2

Would have been great for you to pull down on that menu and take a quick peek before stating "it should work."

SteveInWA

Oh no, somebody is wrong on the Internet.  Actually, I did pull down that selection, but I didn't notice that you were using PAP instead of CHAP.  Sorry.  It's odd that they don't support it. 

billsimon

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 16, 2018, 11:36:41 AM
Oh no, somebody is wrong on the Internet.  Actually, I did pull down that selection, but I didn't notice that you were using PAP instead of CHAP.  Sorry.  It's odd that they don't support it. 

Yes, I have been working very hard to correct all misinformation on the internet. It's exhausting!

I grumble only because I have to do a return. 1 of 2. The other 1062 I bought suits me at home.

KVChmiel

Steve, the screenshot that you posted, is that of the web interface for your IP Phone?  Will you see all those left hand tabs all the time, or just after getting the device registered?
I ask because I only have the Status and System Management tabs when I log into my web UI.  Also to note, I am not registered yet.  Issues already posted.

drgeoff

Quote from: KVChmiel on May 21, 2018, 11:32:42 AM
Steve, the screenshot that you posted, is that of the web interface for your IP Phone?  Will you see all those left hand tabs all the time, or just after getting the device registered?
SteveInWA wrote " ..the settings don't appear via OBiTALK."  That is the clue that the screenshot was obtained by pointing a browser at the phone's IP address.

You should have all the items at the extreme left hand side even without the phone being registered on your Obitalk dashboard when logged in as admin.

KVChmiel

Quote from: drgeoff on May 21, 2018, 11:52:42 AM
Quote from: KVChmiel on May 21, 2018, 11:32:42 AM
Steve, the screenshot that you posted, is that of the web interface for your IP Phone?  Will you see all those left hand tabs all the time, or just after getting the device registered?
SteveInWA wrote " ..the settings don't appear via OBiTALK."  That is the clue that the screenshot was obtained by pointing a browser at the phone's IP address.

You should have all the items at the extreme left hand side even without the phone being registered on your Obitalk dashboard when logged in as admin.

Not sure what your experience with the 1062 is, but you are incorrect.  Prior to registration, I only had the two tabs.  Now that I am registered (have the IP phone on my OBiTalk dashboard) I have all the tabs. 

Also, thank you for pointing out all the things missed by myself and all other users of this forum.  Lets all hope that if the DR in your username is a title, is for a PhD not MD, as I am sure your bedside manner would need a lot of work