News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Urgent - SOS - Post porting to TMobile, Google Voice will not port

Started by ButitwasDNS, August 09, 2017, 03:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ButitwasDNS

Hello All,

Let me first start by saying how much I love obi, the community and ingenuity. I have successfully ported three  numbers from landlines to TMobile as outlined in the established guide by obi. Such confidence led me to believe this was stable enough to try for a business client, complete success. Today, another business client and ...... drum roll.... Oops, Google can't port. The clients number is 35 years old and I myself have had him as a client for 15 years. Here is the chronology:

1. Purchased prepaid tmobile sim.
2. Called activation department.
3. Requested porting 4 days ago.
4. Porting complete. Mobile unlocked android calls back and forth fine no issues. 1pm(Thereabouts)
5. 1:30pm as usual go to google voice. attempt to port. receive "Ooops! We currently don't support porting from your carrier. We apologize and are working on adding support for more carriers."
6. 6:00pm, check porting availability, same "Ooops!...." error as stated in number 5.
7. 6:01pm I checked sprints port availability page and it reads the phone number is portable and is CDMA.

If anyone has any hints could you please let me know? Is there something we just are missing? Does the new update to Google Voice recently announced affect porting? egh, I hope not. My only hypothetical is that this was a business landline, business being a key word. Google voice cannot port business mobile numbers they state. This however is a mere prepaid service, perhaps they do however make a distinction between residential prepaid and business prepaid??

Thanks for any tips!!!

SteveInWA

You are "churning" the ports much too quickly.  You need to wait long enough to ensure that the carrier information has been broadcast out to every carrier, and that periodic database transfers to Google's carrier happen.

We typically advise people to wait a week after porting a land line to a mobile carrier, before trying to port that number again, to Google Voice.

By the way, Google Voice is not intended for business use, and you are doing your clients a disservice by doing this.  Aside from which, reselling Google Voice as part of some sort of service to your clients violates Google's Acceptable Use Policy.

Be a better telecom consultant, and set up your clients with a SIP VoIP service provider that has business-class customer support.

BCJ508

I am wondering if your porting issue was resolved and it is merely a waiting period. I am having the same problem.