News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Going on 2 Weeks - ObiTalk 200 can't receive or make calls with Google Voice

Started by RedRaider89, May 23, 2018, 09:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRaider89

I have gone through all the steps on this forum to reset the device, delete, re-add device and google voice about 20 times.

I verified have latest firmware.

1. on my dashboard it reads on SP1:  Connect Failed, No Response for Google Voice
2. The Echo Test Fails (Obitalk Self Help tells you to add your device IP to your DMZ on your router.  That does not work)
3. I get this email from Obitalk after re-adding my device:
      Service Offline Alert -- OBi Device (xxxxxxxxx) is Not Registered
      Your voice service is not registering. This could be due to a temporary service disruption or an incorrect login
      credential. In most cases, reconfiguring the voice service with the proper login credential will resolve the issue.
      Check out the OBiTALK Self-Help Guide for assistance troubleshooting your OBi device.

I have made no network or router changes this must be an issue with this recent upgrade!  Everything has been working fine for a year then all of a sudden I can't receive or make calls.  I am using the exact same Google Voice Account.  Nothing is working.  

I have submitted a ticket since I still have premium support.  No responses from Obitalk Tech Support! Would appreciate any help.  Thanks.

LietenantDan

Can I ask what service provider you are using? Not saying that is the issue, just that mine stopped working around then also and at that time my routers settings were reset to their defaults at midnight the about the same time. It was like there was an update to the firmware to the cable modem that did not keep the setting. I am using an all in one (router/modem) that I bought. I am on Spectrum in Maine

drgeoff

I'm surprised that you were able to re-add your OBi to your Dashboard even though the echo test fails.

Delete the OBi from the dashboard. Then dial ***8 and follow the prompt to reset to defaults.  Remove device from router's DMZ. Does **9 222 222 222 work?  If not, dial ***1 and report back here everything that is read out to you.

RedRaider89

My Internet Service Provide is Time Warner.  There was no updates to the modem.  I checked.

LietenantDan - Thanks I did all that multiple times.  No I still can't get a echo.  Regarding the ***1 command it lists my device IP address fine and I can access the device directly no problems that way.  However I have not mucked with any of the settings.

RedRaider89

I received this reply from Obitalk Premium Tech Support, however this did not fix my problem either after going through these steps:

Obihai Support <Obi.Support@polycom.com>
11:33 AM (1 hour ago)
to me
Hi,

Let's try the following here and best to use Chrome or Edge browser on your laptop or desktop running the latest Windows:

Go to www.gmail.com and log in using your gmail.   Go to the very left bottom of screen, click Phone Handle icon (for Phone calls) and make a one-time call out to 1-800-221-1212 (or any other numbers).  This one-time call out is to activate (or, re-activate) your GV account.

Make a call out from Hangouts by clicking on the Phone Handle icon. Once connected, hang-up the call.

Then make your test calls in/out again from the phone connected to your OBi device.

Best Regards,

Obi Support at Polycom

drgeoff

1.  Until you can reach the echo test, it is a pointless waste of time attempting to configure any VoIP service.  Did you inform tech support that you cannot reach the echo test number?

2.  Dialling ***1 gives you more than the IP address.  I told you to report all that was read out to you.

RedRaider89

Yes, I informed them the echo test failed.

"Basic Network Status Your IP Address is 192.168.0.18 your DHCP is enabled"

Thanks

drgeoff

1. The echo test fail bit is more evidence that at least one support person should be shown the door.

2. Are you tech-savvy enough to change the IP addressing from DHCP to static and fill in appropriate numbers for the IP address, the subnet mask, the default gateway and to put 8.8.8.8 for DNSServer1?

RedRaider89

drgeoff

RedRaider89

Ok just want to make sure that I do this under System Management - Wan Settings - Internet Settings and NOT ObiWifi Configuration - Wifi Settings - Internet Settings

Both have the same fields you ask me to complete.  Thanks

drgeoff

If you are connecting the Obi200 to your router with an ethernet cable then the WAN ones are the only ones that apply.

RedRaider89

I did exactly as you requested both for Wifi and Wan.  No dice.  Still the same issue.  

When I do the echo test atleast now I get a response.  It states "There is no service to complete your call"

Also SP1 Status for Google Voices as: Offline

These are two changes

drgeoff

I'll explain why I keep harping on about the echo test.

When you dial **9 222 222 222 (or more generally, **9 followed by a 9 digit OBi number) the call uses the Obitalk network.  The Obitalk network is in effect an extra Service Provider in addition to the four that can be configured on your OBi200.  However it requires no configuration.  All the parameters are "hard coded" into the firmware so it should be available on any booted up OBi device that has internet access.  No other Service Provider needs to be configured.  The OBi does not even need to be or have been registered to the portal.  Like all other providers, the Obitalk service can be disabled but the default setting is "enabled". See screenshot "obtalk_enable".  When enabled, the status should show as "Normal".  See screenshot "obitalk_status".  What does yours show? (You need to scroll down that page from your OBi.)  I doubt it says "Normal".  :(

So that echo test is a very first level test that the OBi has adequate internet connectivity.  If it does not work, trying to get any of the service providers that do require configuration is not going to succeed.

So why is the Obitalk service not "Normal" for you?  Logically there are only three possible reasons:

1.  Your Obi200 is defective in some way.

2.  Your Obi's connection to the internet is not working as needed.

3.  The Obitalk Service server at the distant end is not working properly.

We can discount the third one, If it was not working properly for an extended period, lots of people would have noticed.  I have verified it is working as I type this.

Given that things were OK until the recent firmware upgrade and you have not mentioned any changes to your internet access the most likely reason is the first one.  I know you say you have reset your OBi several times but have you done a real reset to defaults?  Dial ***8 and follow the prompts.  However before doing that please post a screenshot like "system_status" below.  Obliterate the same fields that I have.  Leave ali the others visible - they present no security nor privacy risk.  After the reset, it will revert to DHCP.  Leave it on DHCP, take another screenshot, obliterate the same bits as before and post that one too.

And last but not least.  Is there any way that you setup differs from the typical home installation of cable, xDSL or fibre modem and router?

RedRaider89

Thanks again for all you help and patience.   Your last question solved my problem:

"And last but not least.  Is there any way that you setup differs from the typical home installation of cable, xDSL or fibre modem and router?"

I have an Arris Cable Modem/Router hooked up to a NetGear N900 Router.  I use the NetGear for all wireless and wired devices and use the Arris just as a cable modem and phone lines for my Spectrum Internet Service.  The ObiTalk 200 was hooked up and always has been to the NetGear N900 Router.   I decided to experiment and unplug the Obi200 from the NetGear Router and then plug directly to one of the the Arris Modem/Router ports.

To my surprise the Echo Test Worked and GV connected.  I tested inbound and outbound calls all is working fine.  Not sure why with the upgrade I had to make this change but I am just so happy it works now.

Thank you so much drgeoff!  You are a savior on this forum!  You should be getting compensation from Obitalk to make up for their incompetence in tech support.  

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on May 24, 2018, 08:30:47 AM
Obliterate the same fields that I have.  Leave ali the others visible - they present no security nor privacy risk.

Great job with your post, but your first screenshot includes your OBi numbers in the inbound call route, and the second screenshot includes what I assume is your external IP address.  You may want to delete those screenshots.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 24, 2018, 05:37:55 PM
Obliterate the same fields that I have.  Leave ali the others visible - they present no security nor privacy risk.

Great job with your post, but your first screenshot includes your OBi numbers in the inbound call route, and the second screenshot includes what I assume is your external IP address.  You may want to delete those screenshots.
I am not still wet behind the ears.

Those screenshots are not from my OBi.  I don't even have an OBi2xx or OBi30x.

Those OBi numbers and the IP address have been in plain view for years.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on May 25, 2018, 03:28:22 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 24, 2018, 05:37:55 PM

I am not still wet behind the ears.

Those screenshots are not from my OBi.  I don't even have an OBi2xx or OBi30x.

Those OBi numbers and the IP address have been in plain view for years.

Instead of that reply, how hard could it have possibly been, to just politely say: "Thanks for being considerate, Steve, but that was just a generic sample screenshot."

NS-OBI200-User

Past couple of months my GV/Obi200 stopped working no incoming or outgoing calls.  I deleted the OBi from the dashboard. Then dial ***8 or **9 222 222 222 or ***1 and nothing seems to be working.  I tried to hard reset the device (not sure it worked though).  Now I am not able to re-add the device.  Since I cannot connect, I am not sure how do I now udpate the firmware as well. I have not updated firmware for almost more then 10-12 months now.  I use Verizon 100/100 and hardwire with router.  Can you please advise how to proceed and set this device to use with my existing GV account?  Thank you in advance.