News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Strange outcome when I tried to configure SP2 on Obi200

Started by Rick441, May 30, 2018, 12:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick441

I have an Obi200 with Google Voice as SP1.  It was set up about four months ago for testing with a GV-assigned number.  I recently decided to start actively using it, and ported over my longtime ATT landline number (with an interim port to T-Mobile prepaid).

Today I went to the ObiTalk interface to add CallCentric Pay-As-You-Go as SP2 for 911.  But when I clicked configure SP2, I got some sort of brief error message along the lines that it was unable to configure now, try later or contact support.  Waiting didn't help.  Then I noticed that there was a delete-configuration symbol next to SP2 (as well as next to SP3 and SP4).  So I clicked delete-configuration (and confirmed that I wanted to delete), which also caused "not configured" text to appear to the left.  Then I was able to configure SP2 as CC with no problem.

While it was an easy fix, any ideas on why I might have had to do that?  I nosed through the forums and didn't see any reference to any such issue.  BTW, even though I don't need SP3 or SP4 right now, I went through the motions of choosing to configure those as well, with the same error and same resolution.  Also, I am doing the configuration remotely, rather than from the same WAN ip the Obi is connected to.  That couldn't cause such an issue, could it?

RFC3261

While your specific set of events appears somewhat different from previous reports, the Obitalk portal has had various anomalies over the last few weeks.  The conjecture is the various backend changes that are necessary to support the GV transition from XMPP to SIP (based) protocols are a contributory cause.  There have been instances where the messages indicate various failures, that the configurations do not seem to "tale", that sometimes one got timeouts during changes (and then had to try again in a few minutes), and that sometimes one has to wait for those backend services to get kicked during normal business hours.  In some ways you picked the wrong week to migrate.

Rick441

Thanks for explaining that this might been have been (yet another?) anomaly linked to the recent backend changes.  Assuming that there are no other issues arising from my migrating during this period, in practical terms it amounted a minor oddity that only cost me a few minutes.  The thought of some sort of hacking also briefly crossed my mind, but there didn't seem to be any sort of actual pre-configuration there.

EDIT:  I had also opened a ticket with support.  I just received their reply, which is "Please use Chrome or Edge browser on your laptop or desktop running the latest Windows and try again."  As stated, I've already solved the issue, but I have my doubts that their advice would have made any difference.  My initial tries were on Firefox and IE, as was the resolution I described (Firefox, IIRC).  And was I expected to "upgrade" from Windows 7 to Windows 10 just for this?? (Of course I could have just used someone else's Win 10 pc.)