News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI200 Google Voice Setup Error "Registration Not Required"--What does it Mean?

Started by SKIN, June 04, 2018, 06:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

Quote from: NotThat_JHud on December 09, 2018, 10:48:18 AM
I'm getting this error too "Connect Failed. No Response". In Texas, on the same network, didn't make any changes, up to date software. Suddenly all outgoing calls get the error "The number you dialed XXX-XXX-XXXX has not received a response from the service provider" I tried deleting the Obi 202 device and re-adding it. Followed the steps. What the heck is going on?

No, you are NOT getting the same error message as discussed in this thread.  Read it again.

There are many other threads discussing your issue, which was caused by a DNS problem, most likely with AT&T U-Verse customers.  The fix is to change your DNS to not use AT&T's, and to instead use 8.8.8.8 or 9.9.9.9, both high performance and more secure, with no redirects to spam sites.

Polka

Quote from: ygjin on December 08, 2018, 09:48:32 PM
I am in the SF Bay Area (CA, USA)

I am experiencing exactly the same issue for past two days with my Obi200 (12/07 and 12/08/2018).

I removed the Obi200 from my account, reset the device, reconnected to my account... same issue "Registration Not Required".

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I am in Houston Texas area.  My OBi202 device has been working quite well until a few days ago, when on or about 12/7/18 it started failing with connection issues.  I do use AT&T as my service provider.

After removing the Obi202 device from OBiTalk and deleting the registered forwarding phone on Google Voice and reconfiguring, it started experiencing "Registration Not Required" issues and shortly afterwards "Connect Failed: No Response" issues. Though randomly after multiple attempts to reconfigure, it will work where I can call out and in and then shortly afterwards it again exhibits the same connect issue.  I've also changed the DNS on my PC and the OBi202 device as mentioned in this thread but it does not help. I've reset the OBi202 configuration, power cycled all networking devices in my home and but nothing seems to help.

It seems as though there is an issue between the OBiTalk/OBi202 device and Google Voice as I have no issues directly connecting to either from my web browser (multiple browsers). I could use some help here in getting my device back up and running.

Regards, Polka

SteveInWA

Quote from: Polka on December 10, 2018, 09:19:42 AM
Quote from: ygjin on December 08, 2018, 09:48:32 PM
I am in the SF Bay Area (CA, USA)

I am experiencing exactly the same issue for past two days with my Obi200 (12/07 and 12/08/2018).

I removed the Obi200 from my account, reset the device, reconnected to my account... same issue "Registration Not Required".

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I am in Houston Texas area.  My OBi202 device has been working quite well until a few days ago, when on or about 12/7/18 it started failing with connection issues.  I do use AT&T as my service provider.

After removing the Obi202 device from OBiTalk and deleting the registered forwarding phone on Google Voice and reconfiguring, it started experiencing "Registration Not Required" issues and shortly afterwards "Connect Failed: No Response" issues. Though randomly after multiple attempts to reconfigure, it will work where I can call out and in and then shortly afterwards it again exhibits the same connect issue.  I've also changed the DNS on my PC and the OBi202 device as mentioned in this thread but it does not help. I've reset the OBi202 configuration, power cycled all networking devices in my home and but nothing seems to help.

It seems as though there is an issue between the OBiTalk/OBi202 device and Google Voice as I have no issues directly connecting to either from my web browser (multiple browsers). I could use some help here in getting my device back up and running.

Regards, Polka

Well, you made a mess by doing that.  All you needed to do was to read the zillion posts here about the AT&T DNS issue, and then change your router or OBi's DNS settings like everybody else.  You are now getting those errors because your device can't reach the servers, which is because of AT&T's crappy DNS.

crypto0102

I too am getting exact same error since 12-7-18, my obi200 has been running since 2016 no issues. I live in PA. Please help with this issue. Obitalk had to have changed something in their servers/dns/connecting to google voice. Everything on box checks out, just fails to connect to google voice.

SteveInWA

Quote from: crypto0102 on December 10, 2018, 11:14:32 AM
I too am getting exact same error since 12-7-18, my obi200 has been running since 2016 no issues. I live in PA. Please help with this issue. Obitalk had to have changed something in their servers/dns/connecting to google voice. Everything on box checks out, just fails to connect to google voice.

For the love of gawd, just read the discussion.  The question has already been answered.  Change your router or device's DNS settings to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

drgeoff

Polka

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 10, 2018, 11:12:43 AM
Well, you made a mess by doing that.  All you needed to do was to read the zillion posts here about the AT&T DNS issue, and then change your router or OBi's DNS settings like everybody else.  You are now getting those errors because your device can't reach the servers, which is because of AT&T's crappy DNS.

If you would have fully read my post, you would have read that I did change the DNS setting for my network for the OBi202 and my PC as the AT&T router doesn't allow changing DNS settings.  Changing the DNS setting made no difference for me!

ygjin

Update: I just checked my OBi200 and all connections are working - 12/10/2018.

BTW: My unit could not connect to GV on 12/07, 12/08 and 12/09. On 12/09/2018, I reset the unit and reconfigured the connection on 12/09/2018 - with the error message sitting there.

I did not do anything after that. And today (12/10/2018) the connection to GV is back on.

Very strange.

PS: I have been using a different DNS from AT&T default for over a decade.

Polka

Mine is magically up and running again as of late yesterday, 12/10.  I'm currently using the default AT&T DNS settings.

SKIN

As i explained above, my device was in india at that time.

To resolve an issue, i brought device into USA and updated OBI 200 device firmware update from internet.

It worked without any issues and sent back to India.

Now it is working fine.

Lindaos

Just ran into the  "registration not required" error when I was setting up a second line on an Obi 202  at another house.  It worked fine at first until I kept reconfigured what rings on what line and I finally snagged a "registration not required" message.  Sigh, I've read this thread before and figured I was in for a boat load of aggravation.  I poked around in my Google voice account.  In my account settings under the phone tab, it lists my google voice number and under that was listed "Forwards calls to:" with a bunch of Obi devices listed.  Some matched my Obi number some did not.  I deleted all of the Google OBI devices there and my Obi configuration on OBI.  Then  reset up my obi to google voice account and boom ... problem gone.  I not into this as much as many of the others on here are so it may be just coincidental perhaps but it's such a simple thing to try ... so I'm passing it on in the hopes that it may help someone else. Nothing to lose by trying it.  Good luck.

D3vOBi

2022 Experience with "Registration Not Required" during setup for Google Voice: I also received a Registration Not Required message during setup in the configuration screens after a few minutes of the device attempting to configure. When I attempted to place a call after that, I was receiving the "[phone number dialed] did not receive a response from the service provider" error. After a couple of attempts to repeat registration, I found this forum online and the instructions to update the firmware if I saw the triangle warning sign icon on the setup screen (which I did).

Updating the firmware did work, however I needed to download the firmware file linked from http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0 and upload it directly to the OBiTalk device connected to my LAN. In order to access the device portal, I dialed "***" from a phone connected to the OBiTalk device, then selected option 1 to have the device local IP address read out. To log into the device from a web browser (on a device connected to your LAN) and make changes it asked for an admin password. The device I purchased secondhand still had the default password set so I could complete the process of uploading the firmware file I saved locally. I knew the firmware update was in progress because the status light on the OBi202 device was displaying red during the update.

The phone and fax devices I have attached to the device are now able to successfully complete calls.