News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 200 with GV, Answering machine picks up but gets dial tone

Started by MontanaVike, June 06, 2018, 11:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MontanaVike

I've been doing some searching, but haven't been able to find a problem like mine.  Maybe my Google-fu isn't as strong as I thought it was.

A couple weeks ago I lost service with my Obi 200 and Google Voice.  Not sure what happened, but I deleted and setup the device again.  Everything is back in business except my phones answering machine.

Until the service interruption, if anyone called our GV number, the answering machine would pick-up.  Now however, when the answering machine picks up, you hear the normal greeting followed by a dial tone on the machine and the caller is forwarded to the GV voicemail system.  The caller doesn't hear the answering machine greeting but does hear the GV greeting.

tl;dr

Can receive/send calls through OBi.  Local answering machine picks up but only has dial tone after greeting.  Caller is forwarded to GV voicemail and can't tell anything is wrong.

MarcOBi

Having same problem here. Sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your issue.

drgeoff

maybe you have a race condition - GV voicemail and the answering machine both answer at almost the same time but GV voicemail wins, the GV to OBi call is cleared down and when the answer machine has gone through its preliminaries and eventually takes the line the OBi regards it as a phone making a new call and gives it dial tone.

As you cannot disable or delay GV voicemail, try setting the answering machine to pickup sooner.  If it counts rings and is already on the minimum you can set the OBi to generate a custom ring cadence with shorter periods.

MarcOBi

Thanks. Do you know which advanced setting allows me to alter the ring speed / timing / cadence?

drgeoff

EDhSU

I also have been experiencing the same issue on two different Obi200 series units.  One is connected to a Panasonic answering machine combo while the other is connected to a Uniden combo.  It appears that adjusting the ring Profile A, Pattern 1 to  60;(2+3.5) has solved the issue for the Uniden unit.  I spent the better part of today trying different setting adjustments but the ring pattern change was the last adjustment that seemed to do the trick.

The Panasonic unit however still only gets dial tone when the answering machine tries to pick up despite also making the ring pattern adjustment for its Obi200.  Hopefully someone here will figure out a fix soon.

zapattack

As previously mentioned, it is a race (timing) condition.
Nothing to do with cadence, etc. or even the Obi.
Simply adjust answering machine to answer BEFORE GV.
Answering Device
Settings
Ring Count - change from 4 to 3.

EDhSU

Quote from: zapattack on June 24, 2018, 07:28:51 PM
Answering Device
Settings

Did you look at the post from drgeoff?  ...And the link he referenced?

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7337.msg46800#msg46800

Its in complete disagreement with what you just said.  And following the steps prescribed in that thread is what led me to have a working phone again... ( at least for one of them)

SteveInWA

Quote from: EDhSU on June 24, 2018, 07:41:50 PM
Quote from: zapattack on June 24, 2018, 07:28:51 PM
Answering Device
Settings

Did you look at the post from drgeoff?  ...And the link he referenced?

Its in complete disagreement with what you just said.  And following the steps prescribed in that thread is what led me to have a working phone again... ( at least for one of them)

Please stop redundantly peanut-buttering your posts all over the forum. There is no need to repeat yourself...repeatedly.

Google and Polycom (formerly Obihai) have completely replaced the infrastructure and firmware that is used by OBiTALK devices.  Answers from years ago may no longer apply.  However, the explanatory post I wrote in 2014 is still accurate:  https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7337.msg46982#msg46982

It's pointless to try to futz with ring cadence and other settings.  Google Voice is not a bare-bones "free phone company".  It is an integrated call forwarding and message management system.  You cannot disable its own voicemail system, and you cannot change its ~25 second ring period.  Even if you shorten the answer time on your answering machine, it still won't pick up messages if you are on another call.

If you simply want a telephone line, that works like an old, dumb "POTS" line, then get service from one of the many independent VoIP service providers discussed on this forum, such as Anveo, Callcentric, Phonepower or voip.ms.  If you use one of those services, you can simply use the number as a bare-bones telephone line, in conjunction with your (40 year old technology) answering machine.  Or, you can join the 21st century and use voicemail instead.

EDhSU

SteveInWA.  I simply tried to point others to a common thread.

Can you please tell me where I stated how exactly I use my ObiHai because honestly you have no idea.  Rather than jumping on everyone with your "free phone company" tirades I would advise showing some patience to those are trying to make the best use of the product that they legitimately purchased, which also by the way have "Google Voice" plastered across the front of it.

Taoman

Quote from: EDhSU on June 24, 2018, 07:41:50 PM

Zapattack is correct. The ONLY thing you are doing is changing the ring cadence and timing so the Uniden answers sooner than it did before..........which is exactly what zapattack is saying.

Just try zapattack's suggestion and change ring count on your Panasonic answering machine to 3 and report back what happens. There isn't going to be any "fix."

You have two choices:
Shorten the time before your answering machine(s) pick up or,
Take Steve's advice and use GV voicemail.

How you use your Obihai is irrelevant to the issue at hand.

SteveInWA

Quote from: EDhSU on June 24, 2018, 08:23:34 PM
SteveInWA.  I simply tried to point others to a common thread.

Can you please tell me where I stated how exactly I use my ObiHai because honestly you have no idea.  Rather than jumping on everyone with your "free phone company" tirades I would advise showing some patience to those are trying to make the best use of the product that they legitimately purchased, which also by the way have "Google Voice" plastered across the front of it.

OBiTALK devices work with Google Voice.  Nobody disputes that.  However, that has nothing to do with how Google Voice, itself, works.  It's not a basic, bare-bones telephone line, and you cannot make it work exactly like one.