News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How do I connect a Google Voice number to my OBi200?

Started by Ward, December 26, 2020, 11:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ward

I have my OBi200 running on my home network, and I have it "half-connected" to my Google Voice account:

• My "OBiTALK Device" shows up as the 1 device in my GV Account Settings.
  • I can place a call with the phone connected to the OBi200.

However, when I attempt to claim a Google Voice phone number for incoming calls, GV tells me "You must have an existing US-based mobile or landline phone number to qualify."  When I go ahead and select an available GV phone number, the next page asks me to Verify the existing phone number.

I don't see how I can tell GV to send calls to the "OBiTALK Device" on my account.

Arizona480

To set up a new Google Voice number, you must register a forwarding phone number.  If you have a mobile number, it will work for this purpose.  You don't have to necessary use the forwarding to the mobile number, but you must have an actual phone number to use the service.

Ward

Thanks, @Arizona480, for your speedy, helpful response to my post.

I completed the setup of my Google Voice account, providing my iPhone number.  When I had my daughter call the GV number, it rang on both my iPhone and the OBi200's phone.

I visited the Google Voice Settings > Calls > Incoming calls panel and disabled "Call forwarding" to my iPhone – see the attached screenshot.  Now incoming calls ring only on the OBi200's phone.

Success!!!

Arizona480

Quote from: Ward on December 26, 2020, 02:23:06 PM
Thanks, @Arizona480, for your speedy, helpful response to my post.

I completed the setup of my Google Voice account, providing my iPhone number.  When I had my daughter call the GV number, it rang on both my iPhone and the OBi200's phone.

I visited the Google Voice Settings > Calls > Incoming calls panel and disabled "Call forwarding" to my iPhone – see the attached screenshot.  Now incoming calls ring only on the OBi200's phone.

Success!!!

Perfect!  I think GV wants at least one number registered even if disabled just to combat abuse from spammers using the service, so that's why they do it that way.