News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Undesired VM PIN Prompt After Google Voice Migration from OBI110 to OBI212

Started by TelephoneBear, June 08, 2018, 10:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelephoneBear

Background:

I succumbed recently to Obihai's forced obsolescence of the OBI110.  After December 2017 out-of-stocks of the OBI212 on Amazon and months of waiting, I finally saw the 110-warmed-over OBI212 in stock.

Since Obihai, via my certificate-castrated OBI110, was now giving me consistently the "no service" middle finger, I purchased the tarted-up OBI212 replacement at Amazon, for the ugly MSRP price of $100, free shipping and self-loathing included.  Seeing in another post that some people paid over $30 less in February 2018 makes me sick to my stomach and hate Obihai's tactics (remember the $10 support ruse for the free firmware upgrade?) all the more.

It has been years since I configured the OBI110.  I remember following the basic setup path via ObiTalk and applying a couple of minor settings tweaks (Dial-Digit Plans?  Extra Sprinkles?  I can't recall.).

Here and Now:

So, with the new tart out of her box, I followed the OBI212 online setup wizard, and I am back mostly to my Boy-did-the-110-with-GV-get-crappier-in-later-years experience.

Here's what I mean (and where I ask for help from the kind-and-brilliant here):

1.)  Both the message-waiting light and stutter tone are still defunct (a GV change broke it for everyone, a few years ago).  Are they still supposed to be broken?

2.)  Calls to me from a pal in MA on his copper land line do not route correctly:  My phone does not ring, and his call goes to GV VM.  If he uses his cell phone instead (different number and route), my phone rings just fine.  Google messed with its routing tables a few years ago; that's when the trouble started.  Is this still supposed to be broken?

3.)  Unlike with my OBI110 setup (which one is told to delete just before the OBI212 setup), I am now prompted for my PIN when I dial my own number (from my same-old phone) for GV VMWhy is this happening?  To try to remove the PIN requirement, I went to GV "Legacy" Advanced Settings (only showing for my OBI212, not for my primary phone number) and played with "Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from this phone?", selecting "PIN not required" -- No difference.

Okay, that's enough for now.  Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your answers.

Now, please excuse me while I go shower, to try to wash off again the shame of the purchase.

Rukbat

Old post, but:

1. Obi can't fix what Google took away.  If Google doesn't send a message waiting signal, the Obi can't receive it.  Complain to Google (about that and the stutter tone).

2. Same thing.  Polycom has nothing to do with Google's routing tables.  Google has to fix them.

3. voice.google.com/legacy/settings (gear at the upper right/settings).  There's a post here explaining the procedure.