News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV no longer rings Obi Phone - Cannot forward calls to Google Chat in settings

Started by zhangster, June 12, 2018, 11:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zhangster

Hello. We have an OBi1022 that GV no longer rings. We have 2 Obi1032 phones that will ring.  It's just this one phone that GV will not ring.

The Support page says I need to enable "forward calls to Google chat".  However, that is no longer an option in GV settings.

I've also tried to add an SIP in GV Legacy settings, but when I click on "Add a Phone" it just takes me to the new GV settings, and there I cannot directly add an SIP.

Any solutions?  Please help!

azrobert

The following worked for me.
From the OBiTalk dashboard under the OBi1022, click on the SP where GV is defined.
If the SP's aren't listed, click Expand to the right.
Click on Replace Google Account Credentials.
Go thru the process while signed into the same GV account.

SteveInWA

Quote from: zhangster on June 12, 2018, 11:19:01 AM
Hello. We have an OBi1022 that GV no longer rings. We have 2 Obi1032 phones that will ring.  It's just this one phone that GV will not ring.

The Support page says I need to enable "forward calls to Google chat".  However, that is no longer an option in GV settings.

I've also tried to add an SIP in GV Legacy settings, but when I click on "Add a Phone" it just takes me to the new GV settings, and there I cannot directly add an SIP.

Any solutions?  Please help!

To be clear, the instructions you read are outdated.  OBiTALK devices no longer use the old Google Chat infrastructure.  The forwarding to OBiTALK devices is now automatically configured when you configure a SPx to use Google Voice.

zhangster

Thanks Robert & Steve.  I think I need to update the latest FW.  But I get different versions of the FW if I:  1, download from the website, 2, update from the phone panel, or 3, update within the Obi Dashboard. Does anyone know where I can download the latest FW for the 1022 please?

RFC3261

Quote from: zhangster on June 13, 2018, 09:59:46 AM
Does anyone know where I can download the latest FW for the 1022 please?
There is no stable location available for the latest FW.  The latest FW *should* have been loaded to the device recently.  If it does not (and there are known cases where something went wrong), one may need to follow the "remove from portal and reset to factory defaults and then reconfigure your GV SP" instructions to let the device update as part of its processes [there are various alternative procedures one can attempt, and they may, or may not work].

zhangster

I have tried to let the system auto-provision.  Set auto-provision to "system start" but it will not perform auto-provision on reboot

RFC3261

Quote from: zhangster on June 13, 2018, 10:38:39 AM
I have tried to let the system auto-provision.  Set auto-provision to "system start" but it will not perform auto-provision on reboot
Have you removed the device from the portal, and performed a factory reset (***8 on a phone and/or push pin reset?)?  If not, do so.

SteveInWA

Quote from: RFC3261 on June 13, 2018, 05:05:02 PM
Quote from: zhangster on June 13, 2018, 10:38:39 AM
Have you removed the device from the portal, and performed a factory reset (***8 on a phone and/or push pin reset?)?  If not, do so.

This.

Do not fiddle with the provisioning settings.  Restore the device to factory defaults after first deleting it from your OBiTALK dashboard, then add the device back again.  Let it sit a while, then pick up the phone and key in ***0 then 1# to hear the firmware build number read back to you.  It needs to be 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) or higher.  Don't even attempt to set up Google Voice unless that's the case.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 14, 2018, 12:24:23 AM...pick up the phone and key in ***0 then 1# to hear the firmware build number read back to you.  It needs to be 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) or higher. 
The OP is having a problem with an OBi1022 phone.  Those tend to have firmware versions beginning "5."  I have not had my 1032 plugged in for a couple of months so cannot say what firmware version the IP phones are being upgraded to for the changed GV.  However the OP could seek that info from either of his 1032s which presumably have been updated.

zhangster

Thank you all for the replies.  I think I've found the fix.  May be temporary but it's working now. Don't know for how long.

Steps:
Remove GV as SP from dashboard
Reflash FW with crowdsourced version "NAF".  Not sure I'm allowed to post the link, but one should find it via google. This FW allows me to force-add the phone's SIP into GV legacy settings.
Add GV as SP in dashboard - Verify your phone is now listed in GV legacy settings.
Revert FW back to Obi's current version - This step is probably optional. I just don't like running a crowd-sourced FW on the phone.

If it still doesn't work, then try removing and adding GV as SP again.

SteveInWA

Quote from: zhangster on June 14, 2018, 04:02:47 PM
Thank you all for the replies.  I think I've found the fix.  May be temporary but it's working now. Don't know for how long.

Steps:
Remove GV as SP from dashboard
Reflash FW with crowdsourced version "NAF".  Not sure I'm allowed to post the link, but one should find it via google. This FW allows me to force-add the phone's SIP into GV legacy settings.
Add GV as SP in dashboard - Verify your phone is now listed in GV legacy settings.
Revert FW back to Obi's current version - This step is probably optional. I just don't like running a crowd-sourced FW on the phone.

If it still doesn't work, then try removing and adding GV as SP again.

No need to use hacked firmware.  Just follow the instructions and let the device update.  I have no idea how it will treat a device that has that firmware on it, though.

The correct firmware build number for the 1000 series phones is:  5.1.11 (Build: 4858EX.1311)

zhangster

Thank you Steve. Thought about switching to RingCentral as my phone vendor. They quoted me $120 a month for my small biz. Yikes. I will try to hold on to the free GV for as long as I can.

SteveInWA

No worries.  Let's see what happens next week and go from there.  There are plenty of less-expensive service providers, but they require a bit of DIY setup skill.  Many of us here use Callcentric, voip.ms or Phonepower.  They all work with OBi devices.

zhangster

Thanks again Steve. Finally decided to bite the bullet and made the switch to callcentric.  Now the porting wait starts.  Looking forward to no more dropped connections 1 out of 5 calls.