News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI202 does not ring when calling from cell phone, instead, goes directly to VM

Started by WilliamS, June 15, 2018, 05:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WilliamS

I'm new to VoIP and the OBi202 so hopefully someone can shed some light on what is happening.  I did some searching but haven't found the answer yet.

I've been a long time GV user and have been forwarding my GV # to my cell phone for years.  My Android cell phone has the Google Voice app installed but does not have Hangouts installed.

I got my OBi202 today and configured it without a hitch.  I also changed the GV settings for "Forward Calls to" where I checked the OBi202 device and unchecked my cell phone so only the Obi202 would ring.

I can make outgoing calls fine from the OBi202 (using my panasonic wireless handset).  

The Obi202 can receive incoming calls from other phones fine.

When I try to call the OBi202 from my cell phone (which is logged into the same Google account), it goes straight to VM and does not ring the Obi202.

Any idea why?

Thanks in advance. :)

SteveInWA

Hi William:

That's exactly how it's supposed to work, by design.  The assumption is, when you are calling from a mobile phone number, you want to listen to your voicemail messages, so it does not ring the other forwarding destinations.

If you want to change this behavior, then go to the old "Legacy" version of Google Voice settings.  Click the Edit button under the cell phone number.  On the next page, change the phone type to either "work" or "home" (it makes no difference) and save the setting.  After doing that, when you call your GV number from your cell phone number, it will ring the other destinations first.  If you do want to hear your voicemail messages, press * to barge into your greeting, and then you'll be able to access the voicemail menu.

WilliamS

It works just as you described Steve.  Thanks for taking to time to explain it.