News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

define the terms within the obitalk web page

Started by sostpm, June 17, 2018, 02:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sostpm

Steve, I don't understand your comments at ALL!!

First of all, I too have been using GV for a few years myself and very successful with inbound and outbound calls just with GV and my computer. Adding the OBI 202 has got me all screwed up. And I think the reasons why are OBI uses "Terms" that are foreign to me re: SIP and its own  terminology.

1.  Assign a Display Name for Your OBi Devices & Soft Phones
2.  Set-Up and Configure Commercial VoIP Services:
3.  Set-up & Manage Your OBi Circle of Trust (CoT): A new call can be made using the service connected to the LINE port. IN LAYMEN'S TERMS WHAT IS A "CIRCLE OF TRUST" AND HOW DOES IT RELATE TO THE OBIHAI DEVICE AND GOOGLE VOICE ??
4.  Set-up & Manage Trusted Callers: A trusted caller ID is a phone number that the OBi will inspect when it receives a call. (IS THIS AN INBOUND CALL TO THE OBI? OR TO GV?)WHAT DOES IT HAVE TO DO IN RELATION TO MY HOME LANDLINE PHONE?
 If the incoming call matches a number in the Trusted Callers list, the OBi will answer it with the OBi Attendant. HUH???  For example:  You have an OBi device configured with a commercial VoIP service (OK, I HAVE VONAGE... AND ??) phone whose number is in the Trusted Callers list.  The call will be automatically answered by the OBi Attendant. (IS THIS BEFORE GOOGLE VOICE GETS THE CALL OR AFTER??) At this point, you(MEANING ME ON THE HOME PHONE?) can press 1 to ring the phone connected to the OBi device or press 2 to make a New Call via the OBi's VoIP service or the service associated with the LINE port (if connected).

5.  Set-Up Speed Dials:  IRRELEVANT DURING INITIAL EMAIL AND SETUP OF THE OBI...
OBi speed dials are useful when completing calls via a phone attached to an OBi device, when making a New Call via the OBi attendant or from the dial pad interface of the OBi soft clients OBiON and OBiAPP.  For example, you could make a call from your sister's house in Bali to your brother's house in Los Angeles by just picking up the phone and pressing "3". Then, when the OBi attendant answers and you want to make a New Call to your parents in Brazil (using a cheap VoIP service), you press 2 (for the New Call) and "20" for your parent's home.  So, at the end of the day, all you have to do is dial, 3 to connect to the OBi in LA, then 2 to  make a New Call, then 20 to connect to your parent's place.

6. PIN Protect the OBi Attendant:DEFINE THE TERM OBI ATTENDANT AND ITS RELATION TO GV AND MY HOME PHONE.
7.  Download OBi Apps:  Here you can access applications used to connect your Smart Phone (e.g. iPhone, Android) and your computer to OBiTALK and then other OBi endpoints to make free calls to another OBi user or bridge calls to traditional landline and mobile phones using an OBi device like the OBi100 or OBi110.

POLYCOM AND OBIHAI ARE OUT OF TOUCH WITH THE GENERAL USER. WHAT IS NEEDED ARE DIAGRAMS AND PICTURES TO SHOW THE RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN
1. INBOUND AND OUTBOUND CALLERS
2. OBIHAI DEVICE, AND ITS FIRMWARE
3. THE HOME PHONE
4. GOOGLE VOICE SOFTWARE

THIS IS WAY TOO COMPLICATED FOR THE GENERAL USER TO ABSORB WITHOUT CLEAR DEFINITION OF TERMS.. JEEEZ!!! ??? :o

RFC3261

Quote from: sostpm on June 17, 2018, 02:21:55 PM
THIS IS WAY TOO COMPLICATED FOR THE GENERAL USER
The general approach if you are not competent in the technology and not willing to invest your time learn, is to pay for a complete solution (most HSI providers will send you an entire Voice solution and/or have a tech install it for you), or pay someone (as a contractual arrangement) to do the setup for you.  The Apple Store is filled with people who cannot find the on button on their MacBook Pro (they paid upfront in hardware price premiums for the ability to ask someone in a dark green shirt (this months shirt color) where the button is).

Rukbat

If sostpm is in the Fayetteville, NC area, I volunteer to set his Obi up - for free.  (I spent 45 years in communications, but I'm retired, so it would give me something to do - for about 5 minutes.)

The same goes for anyone in the area - bring the Obi and your phone (hardwired phone, cordless base and one phone) and I'll set it up to your accounts.  (Just write down your logins and passwords, so you can type them in - I don't want to see them.)  It took me all of 5 minutes to set up 3 GV lines, each with its distinctive ringtone - it's not that difficult if you've been doing it all your life.  (I'm retired and actually thought I'd have fun hooking a 200 up, but it went so fast that it didn't satisfy my need to "do something".)

(If this post is against the rules of the forum, moderators please feel free to delete it - I can't find anything about offering free help.)

sostpm

Your reply is NOT an answer. You qualify your response is  ..IF I am not willing to invest the time etc. Well, I am a firmware engineer with a lot of programming background. I did watch all the videos I could find on youtube re: setup of the OBI 202. A few diagrams on the relationship of the VOIP adapater,  its connection to GV would be a BIG improvement. Just recently GV has added online chat to those who wish to use GV. The OBI202 is a useless piece of hardware for the average user AFAI can see. Of course, I am NOT going to pay a consultant to replace my home phone operation. YOUR REPLY IS NOT HELPFUL AT ALL!!. The unit is sold to the average home user without a lot of expertise in communications