News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

XMPP turn-off by GV

Started by drgeoff, June 18, 2018, 06:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taoman

Quote from: A_Friend on July 19, 2018, 07:23:46 PM

Looking at their website, Circlenet will get probably cranky if you spoof your CID on outgoing calls.  Plus, there's a monthly charge.

I'm curious what part of their website led you to that conclusion? There is nothing I see to suggest that.

Yes, they allow spoofing. No, there is no monthly charge other than outbound minutes used. And their outbound rates are a quarter of what VoIP.ms charges. I have accounts at both ITSPs.

In my view, it makes little sense to use a full featured ITSP like VoIP.ms for outbound only. VoIP.ms makes sense for incoming since you could use all their PBX features. For outbound you just need reliable and cheap. Circlenet fits that bill better than any other ITSP I'm aware of.

A_Friend

Quote from: Taoman on July 19, 2018, 07:47:29 PM
Quote from: A_Friend on July 19, 2018, 07:23:46 PM

Looking at their website, Circlenet will get probably cranky if you spoof your CID on outgoing calls.  Plus, there's a monthly charge.

I'm curious what part of their website led you to that conclusion? There is nothing I see to suggest that.

Yes, they allow spoofing. No, there is no monthly charge other than outbound minutes used. And their outbound rates are a quarter of what VoIP.ms charges.  of.

Well...  there was this line on their "Residential" page:  "No callerID spoofing, all calls on this plan must have a CircleNet LLC callerID. If your using us for outbound calling with another provider again the per-minute service is right for you."

Yeah, their rates are awesome.  I couldn't actually find where to sign up for the per-minute service, though.  All I found was the $8/month thing.

Am I on the right web page?  www.circlenet.biz

Taoman

Those plans include a DID so I've never looked at them that closely but I can see how you might think they wouldn't allow spoofing. But it's definitely allowed on outbound pay-per-minute plan. But you can't change it at will like you can with VoIP.ms. You have to send them an email and request it.

I assume you saw the Call Termination page? Just go to the BYOD Signup page and sign up. They give you free credit to try it out. It says $1.00 but I received $2.00 that I've been working on a long time. For most of my calls I get charged .0021 cents per minute or less. At that rate your dollar goes a long ways.

Since it's outbound only you don't have to register and use up a SP slot if you don't want to. I don't. I just configure a Voice Gateway and point it at my VoIP.ms SIP config.

azrobert

Quote from: Taoman on July 19, 2018, 09:34:14 PM
I can see how you might think they wouldn't allow spoofing. But it's definitely allowed on outbound pay-per-minute plan. But you can't change it at will like you can with VoIP.ms. You have to send them an email and request it.

CircleNet's new website allows you to change the callerid by yourself. Just click on the 3 horizontal lines at the top right of the dashboard. Click on Configuration then SIP Devices. You can delete, add or modify a device configuration. You can have multiple definitions with different callerid's.

A_Friend

Quote from: Taoman on July 19, 2018, 09:34:14 PM
... I assume you saw the Call Termination page? Just go to the BYOD Signup page and sign up. ...

Since it's outbound only you don't have to register and use up a SP slot if you don't want to. I don't. I just configure a Voice Gateway and point it at my VoIP.ms SIP config.

Thanks!

Sheesh, they could really use a better webpage.  That's totally non-obvious.

As for configuring and using a Voice Gateway on a single, unlinked device, the Device Admin Guide is pretty skeletal on the subject, to the point that it's hard to understand what they're doing in the single example.  Searching here on the subject "Voice gateway" gets you 37 pages of results, mostly not on what I need, which is confusing.  An external Google search was a lot better, and combined with what you just wrote, I think I'm starting to understand.

So...  If you're still reading this, can I just check my understanding?

The tricky field is "AccessNumber," right?  Everything else is pretty obvious.  So, for this purpose, you're actually using the name of the proxy server of the provider, and randomly including an SPnumber of any of your voice services that use SIP, and it doesn't matter which one?

So, for the sake of argument, let's say I'm setting up VG1.   If I have configured SIP providers on SP2, SP3, and SP4 (which I do), I could put SP4(someserver.somecompany.com) in that field.  Then, to use it in a phone call, I just need to include "vg1" in an outbound call route?  And it doesn't matter at all which SP I choose at all?

After the mind-boggling confusion of the Admin Guide, that seems almost too simple.

drgeoff

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=526.0 is good reading for using Voice Gateways as additional outgoing only SPs.

The Admin Guide only covers the somewhat different originally intended use of VGs as in http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=371.msg2154#msg2154.

I have both modes in use.  The AA in my local OBi110 in UK uses the first mode above when calling back to my cellphone.  A remote OBi100 in Japan calls UK numbers through the OBi110 using 1-stage dialling (the second mode above).

Taoman

Quote from: azrobert on July 19, 2018, 11:46:27 PM

CircleNet's new website allows you to change the callerid by yourself. Just click on the 3 horizontal lines at the top right of the dashboard. Click on Configuration then SIP Devices. You can delete, add or modify a device configuration. You can have multiple definitions with different callerid's.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I saw that page but didn't investigate it as I'd never have a need to change my outgoing CID on Circlenet. I was just going by what Sam said to just send an email with the CID you want to use. But I could see where that feature would be useful for people.

I still just use firertc when I want to change my outgoing CID for testing purposes.

Taoman

Quote from: A_Friend on July 20, 2018, 04:31:26 AM

The tricky field is "AccessNumber," right?  Everything else is pretty obvious.  So, for this purpose, you're actually using the name of the proxy server of the provider, and randomly including an SPnumber of any of your voice services that use SIP, and it doesn't matter which one?

So, for the sake of argument, let's say I'm setting up VG1.   If I have configured SIP providers on SP2, SP3, and SP4 (which I do), I could put SP4(someserver.somecompany.com) in that field.  Then, to use it in a phone call, I just need to include "vg1" in an outbound call route?  And it doesn't matter at all which SP I choose at all?

It's pretty simple and you've got it right. Of course, the ITSP has to accept outbound calls without registration. So for instance this wouldn't work with PhonePower. But you have to edit both the Phone port digitmap and Outboundcallroute to point to a vg. Doesn't matter which sp you point at as long as it's SIP (but not GV).

Digitmap: **6(Mvg6)
Outboundcallroute: {(<**6:>(Mvg6)):vg6}

Crap. I see the forum still won't allow images to be uploaded. Here's a VG example:

Name: CircleNet
AccessNumber: SP2(sip.circlenet.biz)
DigitMap:blah blah
AuthUserID: 123456789
Password: *****************

nang

Hello Taoman and A_Friend - I have GV on SP1 and Callcentric on SP2 for 911. I am using obifirmware and Oauth configuration for GV which I believe of no use now. I want to use circlenet like you guys for my outgoing call.
Would it be better to delete GV from SP1 or use the voice gateway setup like you did? What is the advantage of one or the other?

Also would you be kind to post step by step instruction on how to setup circlenet for outgoing calls only with callcentric as incoming. I am following your comments above but kind of getting lost here. As I am using obifirmware, I can't use obitalk dashboard and have to use ip page for configuration, correct?

A_Friend

Quote from: nang on July 20, 2018, 03:43:02 PM
... post step by step instruction on how to setup circlenet for outgoing calls only with callcentric as incoming.

Yes, you log in via the "UI" (user interface) at the device's IP address to manage things.  The Admin Guide may be helpful, or it may just confuse you more.  I find it invaluable, especially after I already have some rough idea what I'm looking at.

I can't give you the whole recipe right now, but here are a few tips:

1) When you register for circlenet, write down the damned customer-website password that pops up.  They're not going to email that to you. 
2) The SIP account they set up for you is inactive.  You have to go into SIP Devices on their website and activate it.  That was driving me nuts for a bit.
3) Under "Physical Interfaces," you can set your phone's default outbound service.
4) You should also code your 911 to voip.ms into the OutboundCallRoute string.
5) You're going to need a DID for voip.ms, or it's not going to get regular PSTN calls, or forwarded calls from GoogleVoice.
6) If you don't already have a DID, it might make sense to make Circlenet your primary for everything and get their $8/month deal.

OR, consider this:
Just go buy an Obi200/202, and get your Google Voice working again and forget about Circlenet.  Or keep it.  You get four ITSPs and SPs to play with on the Obi2 series.

Sam_from_CircleNet

Thanks for posting this, also I wanted to let Obi users that are considering us for outbound only know we're giving XMPP affected people a free DID to try for 90 days for inbound. After that the DID is $1.50 and comes with 911.
For about $5 a month you could have the whole package unless your usage is REALLY REALLY high.

Thanks
Sam

PS: yeah our website is terrible, we're great at routing calls but fall flat with web-design.
Sam

vtsnaab

And...
One of the very few REAL bargains in this world !!
(Yes - I am a happy Circlenet customer & otherwise not affiliated with that wonderful service.)

NerdUno

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 18, 2018, 06:16:21 PM
There are tens of millions of Google Voice users, so it would have to be 10 megavolt knife switch, at least.  All kidding aside, every single account needs to be touched and a whole lot of other systems need to be altered.  It's like a large city performing a major water main or sewer line replacement; first, you build out the new pipes, pumping stations, junctions, sensors, etc, then you connect the new lines, then you shut off the old lines, and abandon them, all while millions of people are using their toilets.

Pretty good analogy except the utility company doesn't typically flush millions of its customers down the toilet as part of its replacement process.

SteveInWA

Quote from: NerdUno on July 26, 2018, 04:52:10 PM
There are tens of millions of Google Voice users, so it would have to be 10 megavolt knife switch, at least.  All kidding aside, every single account needs to be touched and a whole lot of other systems need to be altered.  It's like a large city performing a major water main or sewer line replacement; first, you build out the new pipes, pumping stations, junctions, sensors, etc, then you connect the new lines, then you shut off the old lines, and abandon them, all while millions of people are using their toilets.

Pretty good analogy except the utility company doesn't typically flush millions of its customers down the toilet as part of its replacement process.

I'm going to guess that you are either Ward Mundy, or some other person living in an anger-filled rage against the machine, acting like Alex Jones, spewing distorted-reality rants.

There are tens of millions of active Google Voice users that simply use the service on Google's web-based and app-based platform.  There are hundreds of thousands of active users of Google Voice on current OBiTALK products.  There are probably less than a hundred assholes who will not stop whining about their beloved free SIP trunks being made harder to use.  You are the only few who Google doesn't care about.  Go get some trunks from a bare bones ITSP and STFU.

NerdUno

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 26, 2018, 06:17:04 PM
Quote from: NerdUno on July 26, 2018, 04:52:10 PM

I'm going to guess that you are either Ward Mundy, or some other person living in an anger-filled rage against the machine, acting like Alex Jones, spewing distorted-reality rants.

There are tens of millions of active Google Voice users that simply use the service on Google's web-based and app-based platform.  There are hundreds of thousands of active users of Google Voice on current OBiTALK products.  There are probably less than a hundred assholes who will not stop whining about their beloved free SIP trunks being made harder to use.  You are the only few who Google doesn't care about.  Go get some trunks from a bare bones ITSP and STFU.

Wow! Speaking of rants. That's quite a tirade for a level-headed guy like you, Steve.

LTN1

Not a rant by SteveInWA. Just an appropriate response to a wacko conspiracy nut with a shit sense of entitlement from Google--who has no legal obligations to provide anything for free.

I echo Steve's response in saying, "Go get some trunks from a bare bones ITSP and STFU."

SteveInWA

In fact, I will PAY you $10 toward your SIP trunking needs, if you promise to go away and never come back, and to stop bitching about Google.

Just post a paypal.me address.

A_Friend

This is all very entertaining, but I'm running out of popcorn.

Look, there are a zillion places we can go now on the 'net to see people yelling at (and personally abusing) each other and/or get our blood pressure into the danger zone.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could all calm down a bit (and I'm not excluding myself) and make this a pleasant place to TRY to help each other?

If someone is irritating you for some reason, maybe it's better to just ignore them than try to one-up them/defend your honor/whatever.  (Yes, I AM guilty of this myself, but I'll try to be better.)

Calm.

SteveInWA

So, I guess $10 wasn't enough.  How about $20?  That'll get you four thousand minutes of calling with Circlenet.

LTN1

That's pretty generous, Steve. At Localphone, one of my service providers, $20 would get you 5,000 minutes per month for 4 consecutive months--or 800 minutes per month for over 12 months.

https://www.localphone.com/prices/monthly_subscription/US_ML_5000

https://www.localphone.com/prices/monthly_subscription/US_ML_800