News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unable to "configure" Google Voice

Started by hightechredneck, June 18, 2018, 05:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hightechredneck

New to OBI (200 model), not necessarily new to VOIP. 

Able to get Obi connected and do the echo test call with no issues. 

Trying to configure Google Voice, it takes my info via Oauth2 and appears to configure, but sits at "Configuring..." until it comes back and says Offline.  I've used this GV account via my cell phone for the most part since 2009, but I also had it set up for a while via a SIP trunk and Asterisk to Simonics.

Latest Firmware - 3.2.1 (Build: 5757EX)
Issues before and after hard reset.

Firewall traffic allows all traffic outbound and I have 10000/UDP inbound allowed to the OBI

Any ideas?

SteveInWA

You symptoms and description, and the firmware version you posted, all suggest that you have previously blocked access to your device via OBiTALK.  Your device has the wrong/old firmware.

If you want to use Google Voice, then delete your device off of the OBiTALK web portal, factory-restore the device (pick up the phone and key in ***8 then 1), wait patiently for it to grind through the process, then add it back to the OBiTALK portal, wait for it to automatically update to the current firmware, and then configure Google Voice via the OBiTALK portal.

hightechredneck

Um... Old firmware?  Are you sure?  I downloaded with teh link for OBI200 from http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0.  

Not sure how it would have been blocked by ObiTalk.  It's a new account and a new device.  I had added and removed from obitalk portal a couple of times, everything worked great except for GV.  If it were blocked in any way, I would assume that the echo call wouldn't work.  Maybe I'm just confused as to how this device is supposed to work.  

Anyway, since my last post, I've gotten it to work using an alternate method.  Hopefully I won't have to go through this process again.  It was simpler setting up PBX in a Flash and trunking to GV.  

Thanks for the hints though.  Perhaps i'll need to use them in the future.

RFC3261

Quote from: hightechredneck on June 18, 2018, 06:57:54 PM
Um... Old firmware?  Are you sure?  I downloaded with teh link for OBI200
You can no longer download current firmware from anywhere.  It is managed separably by the device only when you (re)configure the device.  If Obihai was more actually participating in this Customer forum they would mark that entire thread as obsolete/broken/wrong.

SteveInWA

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Next time, remove your tinfoil hat and follow the instructions to let the OBiTALK portal update your device automatically.

The current firmware is 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX)

drgeoff

Quote from: hightechredneck on June 18, 2018, 06:57:54 PM
Anyway, since my last post, I've gotten it to work using an alternate method.  Hopefully I won't have to go through this process again.  It was simpler setting up PBX in a Flash and trunking to GV.  

Thanks for the hints though.  Perhaps i'll need to use them in the future.
Probably sooner than you realise.

Google announced some months ago that some time after 18 June 2018 GV support for the XMPP protocol (which is what the Asterisk Motif type trunk uses) will be withdrawn.

WCE1

I have the same issue.  My brand new OBI200 will not connect to Google Voice, and despite deleting from ObiTalk and executing a factory reset about 15 times (the definition of insanity), the one yellow update triangle I got for an update took me to the firmware download for 3.2.1, which still doesn't work.  I will try calling for support today,  but if not working by tomorrow, it's going back.

drgeoff

Quote from: WCE1 on June 19, 2018, 04:09:36 AM
I have the same issue.  My brand new OBI200 will not connect to Google Voice, and despite deleting from ObiTalk and executing a factory reset about 15 times (the definition of insanity), the one yellow update triangle I got for an update took me to the firmware download for 3.2.1, which still doesn't work.  I will try calling for support today,  but if not working by tomorrow, it's going back.
Do NOT do a manual firmware update.  The ONLY way to get the firmware which works with the "new" GV is to have it automatically pushed to your OBi.

SomberJack

Quote from: WCE1 on June 19, 2018, 04:09:36 AM
I have the same issue.  My brand new OBI200 will not connect to Google Voice, and despite deleting from ObiTalk and executing a factory reset about 15 times (the definition of insanity), the one yellow update triangle I got for an update took me to the firmware download for 3.2.1, which still doesn't work.  I will try calling for support today,  but if not working by tomorrow, it's going back.
Having the same problem as everyone else.  Have followed all the instructions and tips. Version 3.2.1 is the best it will give me. Brand new out of the box. I'm not doing anything special, just want to use GV. My GV has been working for years, it's not new, and I've confirmed all its settings. ***6 just says "please wait" 3 times and then hangs up. Spent about 6 hours on this.  It's going back if I can't get t to work in by the end of the day.

WCE1

Quote from: drgeoff on June 19, 2018, 05:14:04 AM
Do NOT do a manual firmware update...

Unfortunately, that's exactly what the ObiTalk dashboard guided me to do when I clicked on the notification icon.  Since then, I have dropped it from ObiTalk, performed another factory reset and added it back, and let it sit for hours without any automatic update.  I sent email to Obihai support this morning.  It goes back to Amazon on Friday if not resolved.

LTN1

I'm not sure what these threats or passive threats to return an OBi device will really do on a user forum where OBi employees rarely come on. Just return the device immediately. That's the best way to protest. They'll see the return eventually. Stop threatening...just do it. Hopefully with enough returns, the business side of OBi will take notice. As for the users on the forum, no one cares if you return them or not.

Siby

Just like others in this thread I'm having the same issue with Obi200 connecting to Google Voice.  I've tried SteveInWA's guides literally 12 times now to factory reset the device and go through the process of setting it up as directed.  I've followed all the steps to the letter to no avail.

The only thing I can see that isn't changing is the firmware version which is stuck on 3.2.1 (Build: 5794EX). No matter how many times I try ***8 1, the result is the same.  I've used ***6 and I hear "Please wait" several times and then the call is disconnected.

I'm tired of trying the same things over and over again but I'm willing to try anything you good people suggest to get this thing working.

Items I've checked:
Verified working Ethernet connection into the Obi
Panasonic home phone connected.
The echo test works.
Google Voice is able to dial and receive calls on the PC. The phone does not ring but has a dial tone.
Verified GV account. Google Chat is checked. Terms agreement is "Accepted". Email is "confirmed".

Thank you in advance.

NomadTech

Just wait and hope that Obihai/Polycom and Google fix their problems. I went through removing/resetting/readding 2 OBI 202s and the portal still cannot communicate with them.
Edit: As of 3 pm it's working

WCE1

Quote from: LTN1 on June 19, 2018, 08:45:14 AM
I'm not sure what these threats or passive threats to return an OBi device will really do on a user forum where OBi employees rarely come on. Just return the device immediately....

It was neither a threat, nor was it passive.  It was a statement of intent.  I just started trying to configure the device yesterday evening, and was willing to give Obihai support an opportunity to fix it, but only for what I considered a reasonable timeframe.  After that time, I didn't want anybody on the forum to waste time helping me because I would have given up.

But, as it turns out, Obihai responded to my emailed support request within about half a day, and the system is now connected.  At this point, I don't know if the firmware upgrade went through, or something else was done to resolve the issue, but I'll post a follow-up if I get more information.

UPDATE:
When I arrived home from work, I was able to see that the firmware was upgraded.  Everything is working as it should.  For others with new devices encountering the same problem, I recommend a short email to Obihai support.  I believe new devices get a year of support.