News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Hangs at "Configuring...."

Started by se1961, June 19, 2018, 11:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

se1961

I set up the Obi202 over a wifi network using my father in law's Google Voice account in January, and everything worked perfectly. He just moved, and the SSID associated with the Obi202 changed. Today, following the incredibly helpful instructions (thanks SteveinWA!) in the forum (as I usually do), I reset the Obi202, deleted it from his Obitalk account, and added it again. The 202 gets successfully added to Obitalk, and I get all the authentication requests for Google Voice, which then says "configuring" for a long time. Then it says Offline in bright red letters. If I check the "settings" page of my father in laws Google Voice account (legacy) I don't see the SIP device added. I have tried adding different Google Voice accounts to the device, but they also hang, after authentication, on "configuring" and then throw the "offline" message. I have also tried opening a fresh Obitalk account, which didn't work either.

I have been trying to get this to work for four hours.  I have now reset the OBI202 several times. Unlike a couple of other people who posted with a similar error, I can confirm that my Obi202 is using the latest firmware-- 3.2.2.5859. For what it's worth, I have three Obi devices (two 1062's and one 202) working in my apartment, with Google Voice accounts successfully authenticated.

I'm tearing my hair out!! Could anybody please advise me what I might do to get Google Voice working again? Thank you in advance!

drgeoff

Judging by several other posts recently about seeming inability to successfully configure GV accounts a plausible explanation is that the Obihai/GV back end stuff is out of kilter.  If that is the case there is nothing you can do until Obihai/GV fix it.

If you are within the first year of the 202, submit a ticket to Obihai tech support.

rattailhead

Hi,  I'm having having similar issues trying to setup an Obi200 for my 90+ year old mother.  This is my first post on this forum.  I'm hoping it is a Google voice/Obihai issue and will be corrected soon.  I will also submit a ticket to Obihai tech support, if I can figure out how I do that.

se1961

Hi! It finally worked-- I suspect as @drgeoff said that it was something on the back end, but I appreciate the quick reply from somebody knowledgable on the forum, as well as the many available resources for trouble shooting. Hope it works out for you, too @rattailhead. My job for today is done.  :)

SteveInWA

This is the big conversion week.  Google is shutting down all of its old Chat/Talk/XMPP infrastructure and remaining users on that platform are being removed.  There is going to be some disruption until this is all finished, but overall, we've seen very few problems so far.

sfbphone

first time user, OBi200  wont connect to GV

for awhile status was going from "configuring" then "Registration Not Required"

now status goes to "configuring" then "Connecting to 64.9.240.172" but stalls there

do i need to just wait for them to finish the changes this week?

SteveInWA

Quote from: sfbphone on June 21, 2018, 12:39:50 PM
first time user, OBi200  wont connect to GV

for awhile status was going from "configuring" then "Registration Not Required"

now status goes to "configuring" then "Connecting to 64.9.240.172" but stalls there

do i need to just wait for them to finish the changes this week?

I wish I had a firm root cause for that symptom.  I had the same issue during the early beta test of the new firmware, and it just went away. A few others reported the same symptoms.  What firmware build number is your OBi 200 running now?  Pick up the attached telephone and key in ***0 then 1# to hear it read out.  We just need the last four digits.

SteveInWA

Thanks.  So, your device has already been updated with the new firmware in support of Google Voice.

Have you tried deleting the device off of your OBiTALK dashboard, resetting it*, then adding it back and reconfiguring it?  This may solve the issue.

*after deleting it from the OBiTALK dashboard, wait a few minutes, then unplug the Ethernet and power cords, leaving the telephone cord plugged in.  Plug in just the power cord and wait for it to boot up.  Pick up the phone and press ***8 then 1 to restore it to factory defaults.  Let the device sit for several minutes, while the LEDs blink through the various steps in the reset process.  Then, unplug it from power again, and then plug in the Ethernet cord and the power cord again.  After it boots up, repeat the **5xxxx procedure to add it back to your OBiTALK dashboard and to configure Google Voice.  When you configure GV, look closely at the various windows and dialog boxes that appear.  Make darn sure that the Gmail address shown, when it asks you to grant OBiTALK access to your Google VoIP service is the correct address.

It may take several power-cycles and some waiting after you do all of this, for it to end up showing "Connected" status.  Be patient and let it sit a while after completing the Google Voice configuration step. 

RFC3261

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 21, 2018, 02:19:57 PM
I wish I had a firm root cause for that symptom.
I do not really have any additional clue, but my WAG (when I first converted and saw this) was that the repeated connection attempts due to all the reboots, firmware updates, resets, etc. caused GV to put my device into the deferred connection bin (which is a very common approach to repeated connection attempts when doing anomaly and attack detection; a few initial minor infractions are ignored until you reach some threshold, and then are sent to the penalty box to wait until you have cooled off).

SteveInWA

Quote from: RFC3261 on June 21, 2018, 05:23:39 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on June 21, 2018, 02:19:57 PM
I wish I had a firm root cause for that symptom.
I do not really have any additional clue, but my WAG (when I first converted and saw this) was that the repeated connection attempts due to all the reboots, firmware updates, resets, etc. caused GV to put my device into the deferred connection bin (which is a very common approach to repeated connection attempts when doing anomaly and attack detection; a few initial minor infractions are ignored until you reach some threshold, and then are sent to the penalty box to wait until you have cooled off).

Thanks for zapping the neurons that stored that factoid.  Now that I recall, that was happening during the beta.  No idea if it's this poster's issue, but just letting the thing sit overnight may cure it.

sfbphone

thanks steve i did all that, it gave message of "configuration has been updated successfully" at the top

and SP1 status was stuck on "Registration not Required"

so after 10 mins or so i decided to try to add GV to SP2. midway thru i saw SP1 switch to "Connected"... so it seems to work now

worth a try to add a second SP like that if your first one is hanging i guess