News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setup Voice Gateway in Inbound Call Route

Started by sumguy, June 25, 2018, 06:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sumguy

I've been searching threads all day but can't seem to put this together:

I have on my Obi200: SP1 SIP provider #1
                                 SP2 GV
                                 SP3 SIP provider #2
                                 SP4 empty

I have my Obi (Home) ring the attached phone on SP1 (SIP provider 1). When I call home from my cell I get the Auto Attendant. Anyone else calls home the Obi rings the attached phone AND my cell using SP1 SIP provider #1.

Current SP1 X_InboundCall Route = {(1234567890):aa($1)},{ph,sp1(1234567890)}

My understanding is there's a max of 2 sessions per the SP1 and if I pick up the call with my cell I will be using both.

Now that I've discovered that Voice Gateways are suited to outbound calls only it seems to make sense to set up a Voice Gateway, in place of the SP1, to call my cell. I am particularly interested in having the VG call my cell on SIP and/or iNum (I have voip.ms).

Thanks

Taoman

Quote from: sumguy on June 25, 2018, 06:38:56 PM

I have my Obi (Home) ring the attached phone on SP1 (SIP provider 1). When I call home from my cell I get the Auto Attendant. Anyone else calls home the Obi rings the attached phone AND my cell using SP1 SIP provider #1.
I'm trying to understand what you're doing. Incoming calls come in on SP1 but the call is forked and goes back out SP1 to call your cell phone. Is that correct? If so, why aren't you doing the fork to your cell phone at your SIP provider where the call originally comes in? I would think forking the way you're doing it would increase latency........especially to a cell phone.

If VoIP.ms is your SIP provider you could route calls to a hunt group (or ring group for simulring) where it rings your OBi first and then your cell phone (if desired). Doing it this way is much cleaner and more efficient than the method you're currently using.

Quote from: sumguyMy understanding is there's a max of 2 sessions per the SP1 and if I pick up the call with my cell I will be using both.

That is the default, not the max on ATAs. I think it's 4 on the IP phones. In any case, max sessions can easily be increased:
Voice Services-->SPx Service-->Calling Features-->MaxSessions

Unless I'm missing something I can't see the point of a Voice Gateway based on the scenario you posted.

Edit: Was there a reason you posted the same thing 4 times? Please remove the duplicate posts.

sumguy

Thanks Taoman I appreciate your consultative reply. I'll try to be more clear.

What I am looking to do is have incoming calls on SP1 ring my Obi (Home) and also ring my cell phone. I would like to do this by creating a Voice Gateway and adding that VG to the SP1 Inbound Call Route to ring my cell phone. Something like this?:

SP1 X_Inbound Call Route = {ph,VG1(cellphone)}

At this time I want [/u]use a Voice Gateway to connect to my cell via SIP URL[/u]. The Obi Device Guide suggests this is possible and I did see a post by RonR. But after spinning through the threads I haven't been able to make it work. I have a SIP provider on SP3 (voip.ms). I have created 2 extensions at voip.ms (1 for Home, 1 for Cell). I have the SIP client on the cell.

Here's where I'm at:

In Voice Services >> Gateways and Trunk Groups >> Voice Gateway1
Enable           check
Name                voip.ms SIP
AccessNumber   sp3(11111112@server.voip.ms)
DigitMap           (xx.)
AuthUserID        111111_2 (=voip.ms subaccount)
AuthPassword     = voip.ms subaccount pw

In Voice Services >> SP1 Service

X_InboundCallRoute     {ph,sp3(1111113@server.voip.ms)}

drgeoff

Quote from: sumguy on June 26, 2018, 01:31:18 PM
Thanks Taoman I appreciate your consultative reply. I'll try to be more clear.

What I am looking to do is have incoming calls on SP1 ring my Obi (Home) and also ring my cell phone. I would like to do this by creating a Voice Gateway and adding that VG to the SP1 Inbound Call Route to ring my cell phone. Something like this?:

SP1 X_Inbound Call Route = {ph,VG1(cellphone)}

At this time I want [/u]use a Voice Gateway to connect to my cell via SIP URL[/u]. The Obi Device Guide suggests this is possible and I did see a post by RonR. But after spinning through the threads I haven't been able to make it work. I have a SIP provider on SP3 (voip.ms). I have created 2 extensions at voip.ms (1 for Home, 1 for Cell). I have the SIP client on the cell.

Here's where I'm at:

In Voice Services >> Gateways and Trunk Groups >> Voice Gateway1
Enable           check
Name                voip.ms SIP
AccessNumber   sp3(11111112@server.voip.ms)
DigitMap           (xx.)
AuthUserID        111111_2 (=voip.ms subaccount)
AuthPassword     = voip.ms subaccount pw

In Voice Services >> SP1 Service

X_InboundCallRoute     {ph,sp3(1111113@server.voip.ms)}
1. With what you configured for the SP1 InboundCallRoute all the VG1 stuff is superfluous - it is not being used.

2.  To use a Voice Gateway to make calls via a Service Provider. that provider must allow calling without SIP registration.  Some do not.  I do not know if voip.ms does.

3.  To make a call to a SIP URL hosted on a Service Provider that Service Provider must allow that.  Some do not. voip.ms?

4.  If you dial **3 1111113 on the OBi's phone do you reach the cellphone?  If yes, the only configuration you need is to set SP1 X_InboundCallRoute to {ph,sp3(1111113)}.

Taoman

I know what you're trying to do although I didn't know you were using a SIP client on your cell phone.

But why are you trying to do it this way? Is it just an academic exercise to see if you can make it work?

The best way to do this is at VoIP.ms. Route your DID to either a ring group or hunt group. The group would have 2 members: your two subaccounts. Finished.

So are you registering to the same subaccount from both your cell phone SIP client and your OBi? If so, bad idea. You will get inconsistent results. Only one registration per subaccount.

I assume you assigned an internal extension to your subaccount to get access via SIP URI? If so, what you're trying to do won't work.

Quote from: VoIP.ms WiKiUsing your sub account internal extension
When you assign an internal extension for a sub account, it can also be used as an external SIP URI. For example, if your extension is 2, you could be reached directly via SIP from another network with a URI like this: 1000002@houston.voip.ms

Notice the subaccount SIP URI can only be used externally from another network. You are trying to route to it internally which won't work. This is why you need to route directly to the subaccount (not using SIP URI) at VoIP.ms.

Edit: I am assuming both SP1 and SP3 are VoIP.ms registered to two different subaccounts. Is that correct?

sumguy

Thanks Taoman and drgeoff, I see that this will probably become too much of an "academic exercise".

My current SP1 SIP provider (Freephoneline/FPL) does have a CF option but it wasn't working consistently, hence my search for an Obi solution. Plus I was becoming more comfortable with the Obi and wanted to explore the possibilities. I want to keep my FPL because it's free in/out across Canada and it's been reliable for years.

Adding FPL to its Inbound Call Route works consistently better than FPL's own service but uses both available sessions. Increasing the max sessions didn't play well. It seems FPL doesn't allow more than 2 sessions. I tried SP2 = GV in the Inbound Call Route and it treated the call as a Call Forward after 1 ring on home phone. Using SP3 = voip.ms in the Inbound Call Route worked as well as FPL. But I don't want to move my DID to voip.ms and/or increase my cost. After all, that was the reason for employing the Obi.

That's when I started considering how Voice Gateways might help. I just needed a gateway to call my cell/sip client. The Obi guide and voip.ms Wiki described the use of SIP URI calling which I used in the past. If this worked I could make an informed decision on solution re:"cost/benefit". But this seems to lead further down the rabbit hole (e.g. creating another - external - SIP account etc)?

azrobert

Quote from: sumguy on June 27, 2018, 09:32:25 AM
But this seems to lead further down the rabbit hole (e.g. creating another - external - SIP account etc)?

Get a free Callcentric IP Freedom account.
https://www.callcentric.com/products/

Register your cell to Callcentric.

X_InboundCallRoute     {ph,sp3(1777xxxxxxx@in.callcentric.com)}

To get callerid on your cell:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile C SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID: Checked

drgeoff

Quote from: sumguy on June 27, 2018, 09:32:25 AMUsing SP3 = voip.ms in the Inbound Call Route worked as well as FPL. But I don't want to move my DID to voip.ms and/or increase my cost.
I don't understand "move my DID to voip.ms".  You can have sp3(nnnnnn) as a destination in the SP1 X-InboundCallRoute.

I'm under the impression that calls between voip.ms sub-accounts are free.

azrobert

Quote from: drgeoff on June 27, 2018, 11:30:42 AM
I don't understand "move my DID to voip.ms".  You can have sp3(nnnnnn) as a destination in the SP1 X-InboundCallRoute.

Will you get callerid with this method?

sumguy

Quote from: azrobert on June 27, 2018, 09:58:49 AM
Quote from: sumguy on June 27, 2018, 09:32:25 AM
But this seems to lead further down the rabbit hole (e.g. creating another - external - SIP account etc)?

Get a free Callcentric IP Freedom account.
https://www.callcentric.com/products/

Register your cell to Callcentric.

X_InboundCallRoute     {ph,sp3(1777xxxxxxx@in.callcentric.com)}

To get callerid on your cell:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile C SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID: Checked

Thank you azrobert! So far, so good. Tested and came through on first ring and with Caller ID! That was worth setting up at CC!