News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

cell phone off and incoming obi+GV calls go to cell phone voicemail -- help

Started by madhatter, July 10, 2018, 09:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhatter

I have the Google Voice App loaded on my Sprint phone. I have an Obi200 running GV.

When I turn my cell phone off, incoming calls to my GV+Obi200 automatically roll over to my cell phone's Voicemail.  I might get 1 or 0 rings at the phone connected to my Obi. 

Obviously I have something setup incorrectly on GV.  Any ideas?  Thanks

A_Friend

Maybe don't do that?

Why don't you just let GV ring the 200, and use the built-in call forwarding in the 200 to forward to your cell number on no answer?  (*82)

SteveInWA

Quote from: A_Friend on July 10, 2018, 10:07:53 AM
Maybe don't do that?

Why don't you just let GV ring the 200, and use the built-in call forwarding in the 200 to forward to your cell number on no answer?  (*82)

Maybe, since you have such a bad attitude about OBiTALK and Google Voice, you should stop posting advice that doesn't reflect how Google Voice actually works.  If you are so unhappy, just use some other Internet Telephone Service Provider like voip.ms, Callcentric, circlenet, etc, and treat your OBi device like a 15-year-old Cisco ATA, provisioned only locally.

SteveInWA

Quote from: madhatter on July 10, 2018, 09:22:11 AM
I have the Google Voice App loaded on my Sprint phone. I have an Obi200 running GV.

When I turn my cell phone off, incoming calls to my GV+Obi200 automatically roll over to my cell phone's Voicemail.  I might get 1 or 0 rings at the phone connected to my Obi. 

Obviously I have something setup incorrectly on GV.  Any ideas?  Thanks

The reason this is happening takes more words to explain, than to fix.

When someone calls your Google Voice inbound telephone number, by design, GV will forward that call to all of your linked and enabled forwarding destinations.  This includes any 10-digit phone mobile or land line numbers, any OBiTALK devices, any Hangouts clients, and, if you are enrolled in the Google Voice VoIP beta, any web page or Android Google Voice client. 

The ring period is approximately 25 seconds.  Whichever destination answers first, wins the race and gets the call.  Since your Sprint phone is powered off (or unanswered), Sprint is immediately answering the call and taking the message on its own voicemail system. 

To avoid this, you need to enable conditional call forwarding on your Sprint phone number.  This is a feature supplied by Sprint, not by Google Voice nor by your OBi device.

On your Sprint phone's regular telephone keypad, you need to enter Sprint's two conditional call forwarding commands, followed by your own Google Voice number.

New CCF codes for LTE:  *73xxxxxxxxxx to enable no-answer forwarding; *730 to disable it.  *74xxxxxxxxxx to enable busy forwarding; *740 to disable it.

So, for example, if your Google Voice number is 123-456-7890, then:

Enter *731234567890 then touch send or call, and wait for the beeps, then hang up.  Repeat this procedure, but enter *741234567890.

Now, when a call is forwarded to your Sprint phone, and that number is either busy or unanswered or powered off, Sprint will send the call to your Google Voice voicemail box.

A_Friend

Google Voice works great and I've been using it for 7 years.  So does the Obi200, 202, etc.  I have an old Obi100 which is not in service at the moment, an Obi200 and two Obi202s.

I also use voip.ms and Callcentric.  And I've integrated the services to serve my needs, with 2 DIDs on Google, 3 on Callcentric, a few more on voip.ms, not to mention a few iNums.

My problem isn't with Google Voice, or with Obi devices, or with the Admin Guide, it's with the ObiTalk portal, which is user-hostile and counter-productive in several ways.  I'm happy it serves your needs, and I hope it serves most people's needs, but it has gotten in my way too many times.

As for my advice to the gent above, I must apologize.

The star code to call-forward on no-answer is *62 and to disable it is *63.  *82 is for something else, but won't break anything or interfere with these.  All the star codes are listed in the Admin Guide, and apparently nowhere else!  Why aren't they in the FAQ on this site??

Anyway, the Admin Guide is here:  https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

madhatter

things went from bad (not ringing my Obi200 when cell phone turned off) to worse.  Having done nothing on my end, now I'm not getting any incoming calls on my OBI... calls ring on my cell phone that has Voice loaded, but the Obi is not getting any incoming calls.   Very very strange.

madhatter

so I deleted the SP1 GV record and reconfigured it.  The Obi went through a number or reboots and finally configured the settings and calls are now coming into the Obi.

On top of that, with the cell phone off, I now receive calls on the Obi.

This is the second time that weirdness has occurred with the SP1 record, requiring delete/add