News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Revert to ObiTalk

Started by VANJ, August 10, 2012, 10:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VANJ

On the Obi Expert Configuration menu, there is a button to "Revert to ObiTalk". I thought this was to return me to the Basic version of the menu. I clicked this and said Yes. I didn't see that it changed anything in my configuration. What is the button supposed to do?

Thanks

VANJ

OK so I read the FAQ in the sticky thread at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=458.0 regarding this and not sure I understand it.

QuoteRevert to OBiTALK: When this option is selected every parameter will follow what is currently stored in the device's OBiTALK database configuration.

What I do see is that now when I make a change to the device setting using the web interface (192.168.xx.xx), and Submit and Reboot, they don't stick, they are gone after the reboot. But...when I make the change on the ObiTalk portal (Expert Configuration menu), they are sent to the device instantly.

What is going on here? What is the recommendation? Manage device settings using the 192.168 device or via the cloud portal? I don't really care either way, I am not going to need the cloud feature to make changes remotely, I just don't want to get things out of sync and lose my custom settings at some future firmware upgrade or something like that!

Also, is there a way to Export all my device settings? I didn't see a option to do that on the device web interface menu.

Thanks

QBZappy

VANJ,

Newbie 101 gotcha courtesy of OBihai

Managing Your OBi Device Configuration: OBiTALK or OBi Web Page but NOT Both
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=92.0
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

VANJ

Quoteto manage the device from the device's web UI you disable auto provisioning
system management > auto provisioning > method = disabled

QBZappy, thanks but when I go to the device menu, I see that auto-provisioning is already disabled. So I should NOT be able to push changed from the ObiTalk portal to the device but I am able to do that. i.e. changes I make on the device are overridden. I am confused.  What am I missing? Thanks

Sorry, I see there is another setting on the page for ObiTalk Provisioning and that was set to Periodically (interval was set to 86400 (seconds?) which is 1 day but I saw the changes from ObiTalk flow through instantly, oh well, whatever), hopefully changing this from Periodically to Disasbled locks down the device from remote updates. Thanks.

QBZappy

VANJ,
Quote from: VANJ on August 11, 2012, 07:02:23 AM
Sorry, I see there is another setting on the page for ObiTalk Provisioning and that was set to Periodically (interval was set to 86400 (seconds?) which is 1 day but I saw the changes from ObiTalk flow through instantly, oh well, whatever), hopefully changing this from Periodically to Disasbled locks down the device from remote updates. Thanks.

ObiTalk Provisioning is what you need to set. Everything with a reference to "OBi" like the OBi Expert, OBiAPP, OBi services, etc is controlled by the OBihai provisioning servers. ITSP Provisioning is more in the context of a voice service provider who may lock you out of the OBi unit, however they retain the ability to push changes to the configuration of the unit. Each has its own purpose. Just a side note, there are ways to use the ITSP Provisioning for self provisioning. Self provisioning might be useful maintaining far away Obis in a more direct fashion with configuration uploads without having to navigate the various OBi Expert screens. Note that this might be more effort that really needed if you only have one or two OBis to maintain, however it is possible.

The only setting that you should not want to disable unless you really want the OBi unit to loose some of the abilities unique to the "OBi brand" is the "OBiTALK Service Settings". There might be compelling reasons to disable this. The main reason that I can think of is if you absolutely want to disable OBihai pushed firmware upgrades. For most people the "OBiTALK Service" is a value added to the product which differentiates the unit from competing products along with the native ability to speak Google Voice.

Note that when you reboot the unit after making a change, it probably resets the 86400 (seconds?).
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

VANJ

Thank you very much for your help. You seem to be very knowledgeable about the OBi products. Mind jumping in with another digit map issue I am having? Here is the thread http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3833.0 Thanks