News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Assigning a static IP address

Started by foxt, February 10, 2011, 06:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxt

I noticed that the web interface appears to allow me to assign a static IP address via the system management / network settings menu.   Before I risk bricking my unit, I figured I would just verify this - to set a static IP, all I need to do is deselect the default box for IP address and enter my desired address, correct?

QBZappy

Remove check mark , change DHCP setting to static, then enter you static IP.

Good luck trying to brick it. I have not been successful doing it myself.

Have fun with it.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

T1000

Make sure you submit the changes by pressing the button in the bottom of page.
Then reboot the OBi. It should use static setting once it boots up again.

foxt

unrequited

You can also set up a static DHCP address for it if you have access to your home network router (and know how to do this). That way no matter if anything gets reset or config-wiped on your Obi, you're still on the same IP.

RonR

Quote from: unrequited on March 03, 2011, 08:48:59 PM
You can also set up a static DHCP address for it if you have access to your home network router (and know how to do this). That way no matter if anything gets reset or config-wiped on your Obi, you're still on the same IP.
I'm also a firm believer in this approach, but unfortunately, not all routers incorporate Static DHCP capability.  Third-party firmware upgrades such as Tomato and DD-WRT are a possible solution if the router is compatible with them.