News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

messages saved in answer machine vs. gmail

Started by mj56gt, September 10, 2013, 07:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mj56gt

I just set up my OBI110 with my Google voice, and it works well except for one thing: some of the callers' message seem to go to the answer machine of the phone while others are directed to my gmail account. Where are the options that would allow me to direct the messages one way or the other, or both? Thanks!

Shale

To make the calls go to your answer machine, set your answer machine to pick up on fewer rings than it is now.

To make GV pick up with its voicemail, make the  answer machine to pick up on more rings than it is set for now... or turn off the answer machine.

mj56gt

Thanks a lot for the quick help! I really appreciate it...

So I would have to modify my answer machine, right? There is nothing I can do online with my OBI account?

Shale

Quote from: mj56gt on September 10, 2013, 08:50:16 AM

So I would have to modify my answer machine, right? There is nothing I can do online with my OBI account?
You are using GV. It will pick up to its voicemail at 25 seconds.

So if you wanted your OBi to transfer the call after 20 seconds of ringing to something that would pick up, the OBi could probably do that. But the OBi is not going to answer the phone for you. But yes, you could theoretically do something more complicated that involved the OBi and something else.

Modify the answer machine????  It is either a switch or a menu setting to select when the answering machine picks up.  It is probably a switch to cause the local answer machine to not pick up. Modify? Those would be a lot easier to do than what your follow-on question suggests. I guess I could suspect that you don't have access to the answer machine, and you think you will not be able to talk the person at the site of the answer machine through operating the right switch or menu on the combo phone+answering machine.

If this were actually important to you, I would suggest switching from GV to a SIP provider where you could select how long it would be before the provider's voicemail picked up. That voicemail pickup delay setting would be done via the provider's website.

mj56gt

Thanks again for your kind help!

Quote from: Shale on September 10, 2013, 09:11:29 AM
So if you wanted your OBi to transfer the call after 20 seconds of ringing to something that would pick up, the OBi could probably do that. But the OBi is not going to answer the phone for you.

No, I didn't expect OBi to answer the phone; instead I was hoping that under some specifications OBi would let the answer machine to record the message, for example; or the other way around.

But yes, you could theoretically do something more complicated that involved the OBi and something else.

That's something I need to find out. Hope someone could point me to the right direction on OBi...

Modify the answer machine????  It is either a switch or a menu setting to select when the answering machine picks up.  It is probably a switch to cause the local answer machine to not pick up. Modify? Those would be a lot easier to do than what your follow-on question suggests. I guess I could suspect that you don't have access to the answer machine, and you think you will not be able to talk the person at the site of the answer machine through operating the right switch or menu on the combo phone+answering machine.

If this were actually important to you, I would suggest switching from GV to a SIP provider where you could select how long it would be before the provider's voicemail picked up. That voicemail pickup delay setting would be done via the provider's website.

Sorry to have used the word "modify". I meant for changing some settings on the answer machine. I do have access to the answer machine, but I'm not at home right now. I'll look into the user manual later. In the meantime, do you have suggestions on SPI providers for this functionality? Thanks...

Shale

Anvio, Callcentric, and VOIP.ms are the big providers, and there are others who have happy customers too. You could probably port the existing phone number to one of those.

I use Anveo... unlimited residential incoming at $2 per month +$0.80 for 911. Alternatively could have opted for $1 per month for 40 minutes per day incoming plus roughly $0.01 per minute after that.

You can dial out via your SIP provider (about $0.01 per minute to USA), or you can dial out via GV. That could still leave you with your problem if people call the new GV number. You could have GV incoming calls to not ring your local phone, or you can just set GV to send all calls to voicemail immediately. There is even a way using Google Mail to call out via OBi without having your number displayed on the recipient's caller ID. I have not tried that.

Regarding the " theoretically do something more complicated that involved the OBi and something else" thing, I would see that as a mental exercise that might interest somebody else. I expect after researching and  describing a method, I figure you would not find that as something you would care to implement. I am not holding back something that I have thought through. It would take research. One possible answer would be the "something else" could be an Asterisk server or variation. I don't use or plan to use that.

SIP providers are generally reasonably priced. I really take advantage of some features that I did not anticipate including a method of dealing with robocalls by requiring the caller to press a touchtone key if the person is not already on your list of callers. I like checking the SIP provider logs to see what numbers tried, and to look the number up in 800notes to see what complaints were made about that number. That said, GV does a pretty good job of blocking incoming notorious spam calls.

mj56gt

Thanks a lot for kindly sharing the information! Have a nice day...