News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Bugs, Bugs, Problems, & Aggravations

Started by A_Friend, July 07, 2018, 10:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_Friend

Yesterday, I documented the work-around restoration for my Obi200 here:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14342.msg91709#msg91709

The firmware build was 5859EX.

Today, I'm trying to do the same thing with my Obi202.  I can't stop the portal from pushing build 5898EX, and my process is not working.  I end up with the Google Voice status as:  Connect Failed: 400 Bad Request (server=64.9.243.172; retry in 19s).  Rebooting doesn't fix it.  This happens after I restore the trimmed backup file (with all the SP1 objects cut out). 

When I try to use Obi Expert to restore the trimmed backup file, it never brings back the speed dials, just writes a couple of its own.

Something in the firmware changed such that its now sensitive to something else in the backup from the prior version, which now lunches the Google Voice setup.

Can I buy a clue?

Thanks.

SteveInWA

Stop trying to battle the OBiTALK portal system.  Build 5898EX, released on Friday, fixes the one-way audio bugs.

When you keep flogging the Google Voice servers, they'll eventually block you as a security measure, for some period of time.

Just let the portal update the device and be happy.

A_Friend

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 08, 2018, 01:21:42 PM
Stop trying to battle the OBiTALK portal system.  Build 5898EX, released on Friday, fixes the one-way audio bugs.

Just let the portal update the device and be happy.

Well, that's nice.  But, what about my other settings?  The portal scrubs them, along with my 50 or so speed dials.  I'm supposed to do what?  Copy and paste each setting to a text file and then manually copy and paste them back, one by one?  Why isn't that nuts?

I have a working, set up device I've used for two and a half years.  I have all the settings I need for how I use it.  I only need one thing since the protocol switch.  Google Voice needs updating from XMPP to SIP.  Why won't the portal let me do just that without nuking everything else back to factory reset level?  And replacing my 50 speed dials with two new ones I don't even need.

If I seem to be floundering around trying to find a solution to avoid that, that's the reason.  I need to preserve my setup and the portal won't let me do that.

GPz1100

^^Because obi knows what's best for you.... At least according to some around [who fail to realize individual needs differ from that of big corporations].

A_Friend

Somehow, I've finally got it solved, although I'm not sure I could do it again.  The portal is horrible.

Here are some of the problems I noted along the way:

1) Restoring your backup file in Obi Expert does not add your other service providers to the dashboard, even after you add in your passwords and get them working.  They read unconfigured forever on the portal.

2) It also won't let you restore your speed dials.

3) If you restore your speed dials "externally" (that is, directly to the device using its "Update" or manually), it will nuke them again.

4) If you take your device offline and then put it back, the portal might make your GV stop working.

5) If your GV stops working while attached to the portal, no amount of trying to replace your credentials will work.  At best, even if you delete your SP1 and start over, you will end up with a second GV installation on SP2, which if you were planning to use for another carrier leaves you out of luck.

6) Only way I could get a clean GV installation on SP1 was after a factory reset and after deleting the device from the portal and adding it back.

To my mind, this is madness.  A properly designed portal should allow you to:
a) add a device without it making any changes to it,
b) select what changes you want to make or services you want to add,
c) let you apply a backup file to refresh or install your other service providers, and settings (including speed dials), and display their existence on the dashboard,
and
d) leave your speed dials the hell alone unless you want to change them.

Speaking as a user and as a (now retired long-time) systems designer, to my mind this is very poorly designed, user-hostile, and counter-productive.  Which is why I hate it to pieces.  How hard would it be to fix it to comply with the above?  It would make it infinitely more lovable.

By the way, using XML Notepad, I actually had to edit a speed-dial-only backup out of the earlier backup that I could restore after I got everything else working and blocked Auto Provisioning.