News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Syslog Bug: Obi202 Improperly Tagging DNS Server as "Emergency" level event

Started by Karson, June 25, 2015, 06:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karson

I'm running one release earlier than the latest firmware of 3.0.1-4738 (I will get the actual release when I get off work, if needed), and when logging to my syslog server, the Obi202 improperly tags the logged DNS server entry as an "emergency" level log entry.

Here is the actual syslog even that gets emailed to me:

There is one system log with severity emerg on DiskStation. Please check out the details on the system.

The content of the log is as follows:

SERVER: 192.168.1.1

My Obi202 is setup as a bridge, for clarity.

RFC3261

Quote from: Karson on June 25, 2015, 06:14:18 AM
I'm running one release earlier than the latest firmware of 3.0.1-4738 (I will get the actual release when I get off work, if needed), and when logging to my syslog server, the Obi202 improperly tags the logged DNS server entry as an "emergency" level log entry.
The Obi tags a bunch of things in interesting ways.  And while it would be highly desirable for Obi to add the ability to specify the facility and level in the configuration, the alternative is to use a syslog solution that allows you to retag all messages from the Obi (I seem to recall syslog-ng and rsyslog can do this).

Karson

I hear ya. It's to the point that I get email notification from my syslog enabled Synology NAS  every hour from the OBI, that I'm just going to disable offloading of its logs.  Unfortunate, because it's a useful diagnostic feature to get notifications devices having issues.

But if one device kills the syslog server's notification feature by not properly handling logs, it ruins the "OH S*** I've really got a legitimate problem" for all the other devices also going to the NAS.

I wonder if there is there a formal place to submit bugs like this? I can't imagine this was intended functionality, more of a Friday afternoon copy/paste issue.  ;)

RFC3261

Quote from: Karson on June 25, 2015, 12:52:23 PMI wonder if there is there a formal place to submit bugs like this? I can't imagine this was intended functionality, more of a Friday afternoon copy/paste issue.  ;)
Bug, or feature?  Syslog is not enabled by default, and is more likely to have been added only for (internal) debugging.  Anyway, if your device is still under support, you can certainly open an official support ticket, but I would be surprised if it gets prioritized for changes anytime soon.  Good luck.

Karson

Quote from: RFC3261 on June 25, 2015, 04:15:21 PM
Bug, or feature?  Syslog is not enabled by default, and is more likely to have been added only for (internal) debugging.  Anyway, if your device is still under support, you can certainly open an official support ticket, but I would be surprised if it gets prioritized for changes anytime soon.  Good luck.

The correct answer is both, in my opinion. They're not mutually exclusive. Almost every piece of software ever developed has bugs within features. I'm also not remembering anything I've ever administered having syslogging enabled by default. If it was, somehow the software would have to magically know where to dump the logs to.  :)

I'm not here to spar because after all, I appreciate keeping the topic alive until it (ever) gets resolved. ;D I'd be pretty surprised if Obihai relied on syslogs, in some fashion, to debug their code. There's a plethora of better mechanisms for development/bug tracking than capturing remote syslogs.

My thinking says that it's in the interface because it's easy to implement and priceless for voip/sysadmins who want centralized logging to troubleshoot issues, as opposed to hoping remote access or console access works to view logs.