News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice "service not configured"

Started by wjcarpenter, July 10, 2018, 09:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wjcarpenter

(I've seen some old posts like this, but I suspect those old answers won't work in the age of OBi firmware churn and GV changes.)

I put the GV config for my OBi202 back into service several days ago. It worked fine for a couple of days. Yesterday, obitalk should that SP as "service not configured". I have not been able to get it back into working condition yet. Here are things I have tried:

• make a change to the SP config (on obitalk) and save
  • remove the SP config and configure it anew for GV
  • reboot obi202
  • power cycle obi202

For the first two bullet items, obitalk shows "configuring" and a spinning circle for a couple minutes, and after that it goes back to "service not configured".

Suggestions? (I've opened a support ticket; still waiting.)

wjcarpenter

Quote(I've opened a support ticket; still waiting.)

Well, this is disappointing. The response to my ticket was "you don't have a support contract; buy one or figure it out yourself". I guess the two categories are "premium support" and "no support".  (The also told me my OBi202 was offline, which is not the case.)

I don't expect Obihai to give me unbounded support forever, but the OBi changes dealing with GV's dropping of XMPP have been kind of screwed up. I've been telling people for years to just get an OBi box and let them deal with the details. This is the first time I have been disappointed by Obihai, but I have to say that it's a *big* disappointment. Here is what I think they are telling me: "We made some mistakes recently related to GV. We're scrambling to undo the harm we've done. You are collateral damage. Pay us or go away."

I guess I'll now try to figure out why Obihai support sees my box as offline. If I can't figure that out, I'll punt the box to eBay or something.

SteveInWA

Your OBi device needs to be running the latest build of the firmware, which, as of today, is 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX).

I noticed, from your previous posts, that you've been making various configuration changes, sometimes from the local web page UI.  If you have removed your device from the OBiTALK portal, you need to add it back to properly configure Google Voice with SIP.

If you remove and re-add the device to the portal, and you have not altered the System Management-->Auto provisioning page settings, it should automatically upgrade.

If you repeatedly try rebooting the device and re-configuring Google Voice, Google Voice will block connection as potential abuse/hacking.  So, set it up, and let it sit for an hour or so, then check status again.

wjcarpenter

I appreciate (really!) that you are patiently trying to help. Thanks.

My OBi202 is running the latest firmware, pushed by the portal at some unknown time in the past. I have not manually flashed that or any other firmware version.

Although I sometimes look at settings in the local web UI (for example, to view the call history or to see if something is actually in sync with the portal), it has been many moons since I made any changes locally.

I make all changes via the OBiTALK portal. True, I do sometimes make changes using the "expert" menu, but I have not made any changes there whatsoever to the SP configured for GV. In fact, the only changes I have made to the GV SP have been done with the non-expert menu and are as I have described: I have tried making trivial changes and saving (for example, changing which physical phone rings on an incoming call), and I have deleted and reconfigured the GV SP.

I stand ready to be chagrined when some change I make shoots me in the foot, and I know there are people around who are trying random things without really knowing what they are doing. However, in my case, the "service not configured" for GV happened on its own at least 12 hours after the last time I even looked in the direction of my OBi202, and at least 12 hours after it was working as expected. It's becoming more and more clear that OBiHAI did not handle recent changes very well and is just scrambling to catch up.

As a last resort (so far), I resolved my situation ... with no help from OBiHAI ... by deleting my OBi202 device from the portal and re-adding it. GV configured correctly within a few seconds of my clicking the buttons. Why I should have to do that or why it makes a difference will probably remain forever a mystery, because it's pretty clear that OBiHAI isn't saying much about anything.

Thanks again for having taken the time to respond, to me and to others.

SteveInWA

Quote from: wjcarpenter on July 12, 2018, 05:10:23 PM
I appreciate (really!) that you are patiently trying to help. Thanks.

. . .

As a last resort (so far), I resolved my situation ... with no help from OBiHAI ... by deleting my OBi202 device from the portal and re-adding it. GV configured correctly within a few seconds of my clicking the buttons. Why I should have to do that or why it makes a difference will probably remain forever a mystery, because it's pretty clear that OBiHAI isn't saying much about anything.

Thanks again for having taken the time to respond, to me and to others.

Yes, what we've been seeing is that most users are getting converted automatically (there are a very large number of users out there, and we only see the problematic ones here).  The conversion is very complex, given that it has to kick off changes on both company's systems.  My hunch is that some devices get out of sync with the conversion process for unknown reasons, and this issue has so far always been fixed by doing the full, start over from scratch procedure.  There are other things compounding the complexity on the Google side, including their other telephony offerings and their conversion of all those offerings to the new, consolidated SIP platform.  Hopefully, things will stabilize later this year.  For now, it's like trying to change a tire on a car while it's driving down the highway.