The number you dialed, has not received a response from the service provider?

Started by B0b., August 14, 2018, 09:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_Friend

Quote from: B0b. on August 20, 2018, 04:41:53 AM
I am not asking if the hotspot is causing the calls to not go through. I am asking why the hotspot is causing the calls to not go through with the OBi.

I posted the question here to try different settings to try to get the OBi to work with the hotspot, not hear "tough luck".

Forgive me if I continue with my speculations...

There's another thread, where the poster is experiencing a related problem.  His cable-connected Obi phone is dropping its GV connection, but not its other SIP carriers' connections.  The GV connection absolutely will not reconnect until he reboots the Obi, and then it's fine.  My speculation there is two-fold.  One, his cable company has been doing work on the system this last week during off-hours (like mid-day), which causes a brief interruption of service.  This results in GV losing registration, but his other SIP connections either survive that, or reconnect automatically as soon as internet is available again.  And... Two, it's the Obi Firmware -- it's not handling a reconnect/re-registration for GV because the engineers never planned on it having to, and the business with the Auth token is very different (and a bit complicated) from how other SIP registrations are done.

SteveInWA might be right, that there's nothing you can change that will delay the de-registration or keep the connection alive.  Or maybe not.  Who knows until you kibbitz around a bit and see?  And you're right that it's clearly something to do with the Obi.

My theory is that the firmware needs an update so it can handle re-registering dropped GV connections without needing a reboot.

B0b.

Quote from: A_Friend on August 20, 2018, 06:10:47 AM
Quote from: B0b. on August 20, 2018, 04:41:53 AM
I am not asking if the hotspot is causing the calls to not go through. I am asking why the hotspot is causing the calls to not go through with the OBi.

I posted the question here to try different settings to try to get the OBi to work with the hotspot, not hear "tough luck".

Forgive me if I continue with my speculations...

There's another thread, where the poster is experiencing a related problem.  His cable-connected Obi phone is dropping its GV connection, but not its other SIP carriers' connections.  The GV connection absolutely will not reconnect until he reboots the Obi, and then it's fine.  My speculation there is two-fold.  One, his cable company has been doing work on the system this last week during off-hours (like mid-day), which causes a brief interruption of service.  This results in GV losing registration, but his other SIP connections either survive that, or reconnect automatically as soon as internet is available again.  And... Two, it's the Obi Firmware -- it's not handling a reconnect/re-registration for GV because the engineers never planned on it having to, and the business with the Auth token is very different (and a bit complicated) from how other SIP registrations are done.

SteveInWA might be right, that there's nothing you can change that will delay the de-registration or keep the connection alive.  Or maybe not.  Who knows until you kibbitz around a bit and see?  And you're right that it's clearly something to do with the Obi.

My theory is that the firmware needs an update so it can handle re-registering dropped GV connections without needing a reboot.

I think you are right. Thank you for your help and reply.

SteveInWA

No, the firmware does not need an update.  OBiTALK devices will automatically re-establish both their connection to the network, and to any service provider that can handle the re-connections, including Google Voice.

However, if the device goes offline over and over again in a short period of time, the service provider may temporarily block/ban the connection attempts.

This is not speculation, as your "friendly" speculator keeps speculating.  This is a proven fact, based on my hundreds of hours spent beta testing Google Voice on OBiTALK devices, and helping thousands of users with the service.

As I believe I mentioned earlier, Google Voice has specific, non-default keep-alive settings, as long as you use the OBiTALK portal to create the SP configuration:

Via OBiTALK Expert mode:  Voice Services-->SPx-->X_CustomKeepAliveMsg = %0d%0a%0d%0a

SteveInWA

Ok, since I am such a swell guy, and you have been given so much BS advice about your issue, I discussed this with a friend who is using an LTE modem with Google Voice on his OBi.  As I pointed out earlier, your hotspot is periodically dropping the connections.  Why?  Because it's designed to save power, and to save LTE bandwidth.

By contrast, if you switch to a fixed-location, AC-powered, always-on LTE modem, your connection won't drop, as proven by my friend's testing.

This is what he's using:  https://www.netgear.com/home/products/mobile-broadband/lte-modems/LB1120.aspx

LTN1

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 21, 2018, 08:27:23 AM
Ok, since I am such a swell guy, and you have been given so much BS advice about your issue, I discussed this with a friend who is using an LTE modem with Google Voice on his OBi.  As I pointed out earlier, your hotspot is periodically dropping the connections.  Why?  Because it's designed to save power, and to save LTE bandwidth.

By contrast, if you switch to a fixed-location, AC-powered, always-on LTE modem, your connection won't drop, as proven by my friend's testing.

This is what he's using:  https://www.netgear.com/home/products/mobile-broadband/lte-modems/LB1120.aspx

Very kind of you, Steve, to contribute to an OP who seemingly would rather have people pull answers out of their asses that lead nowhere. While he may not care for more accurate answers, I do have a follow up question on these types of LTE modems. Isn't there likely a configuration in each modem where you can bypass the power saving mode and keep it awake all the time? Of course, none of this has to do with the OBi but it would be interesting to know. For example, on my cable modem (SBG6580), I used to have wireless internet dropping all the time until I went to the WMM QoS parameters and turned off WMM Support, No-Acknowledgement and Power Save Support.

SteveInWA

Quote from: LTN1 on August 22, 2018, 08:08:11 AM
Ok, since I am such a swell guy, and you have been given so much BS advice about your issue, I discussed this with a friend who is using an LTE modem with Google Voice on his OBi.  As I pointed out earlier, your hotspot is periodically dropping the connections.  Why?  Because it's designed to save power, and to save LTE bandwidth.

This is what he's using:  https://www.netgear.com/home/products/mobile-broadband/lte-modems/LB1120.aspx

Very kind of you, Steve, to contribute to an OP who seemingly would rather have people pull answers out of their asses that lead nowhere. While he may not care for more accurate answers, I do have a follow up question on these types of LTE modems. Isn't there likely a configuration in each modem where you can bypass the power saving mode and keep it awake all the time? Of course, none of this has to do with the OBi but it would be interesting to know. For example, on my cable modem (SBG6580), I used to have wireless internet dropping all the time until I went to the WMM QoS parameters and turned off WMM Support, No-Acknowledgement and Power Save Support.

Unlike the compulsive answer-bot, I don't like to guess or speculate on how things work, that I don't personally own, or I can find authoritative sources of information.

All I know is:  the battery-operated, portable hotspots are not designed for continuous connection, as required for VoIP.  If there is some setting for the device that essentially tells it to stay on all the time, that would be in the device's user guide.  By contrast, my buddy, who is also a long-time Google Voice expert, owns the Netgear device linked above, and the key difference is that it is a fixed-location, AC-powered LTE MODEM.  It is specifically designed to be working all the time.  It is a known-working solution.

dboling

I'm new here and don't own an OBI* yet. I'm looking at a obi202 or obi210, maybe both still researching and deciding.

If I was Bob, I would do the following.

As the obi200 worked as it should on a good hardwired internet connection. Take the obi200 and place it on a good hardwired connection to test it, even if he needs to go to a friend house to do it. If the obi200 works as it should, then that shows the obi200 just doesn't like the hotspot.

If it still has the same issue then there might be a problem with the obi200. If it is possible to re-flash the obi200 firmware, I might start by backing up the configs and re-flashing the obi200. But even before I re-flashed the obi200, I would check that the power supply is supplying the proper voltage and amperage to the obi200. Bad power supplies can create all kind of issues.
-Diane

B0b.

Thank you, Steve. I will order the LB1120 soon.

B0b.

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 22, 2018, 05:29:18 PM
Quote from: LTN1 on August 22, 2018, 08:08:11 AM
Ok, since I am such a swell guy, and you have been given so much BS advice about your issue, I discussed this with a friend who is using an LTE modem with Google Voice on his OBi.  As I pointed out earlier, your hotspot is periodically dropping the connections.  Why?  Because it's designed to save power, and to save LTE bandwidth.

This is what he's using:  https://www.netgear.com/home/products/mobile-broadband/lte-modems/LB1120.aspx

Unlike the compulsive answer-bot, I don't like to guess or speculate on how things work, that I don't personally own, or I can find authoritative sources of information.

All I know is:  the battery-operated, portable hotspots are not designed for continuous connection, as required for VoIP.  If there is some setting for the device that essentially tells it to stay on all the time, that would be in the device's user guide.  By contrast, my buddy, who is also a long-time Google Voice expert, owns the Netgear device linked above, and the key difference is that it is a fixed-location, AC-powered LTE MODEM.  It is specifically designed to be working all the time.  It is a known-working solution.

My OBi200 seems to work well with the Netgear LB1120. I have been using it for a week and have not received the error message since switching the modem. I noticed the Netgear modem isn't getting as strong of a signal, so the internet speed is slower, but at least the phone works consistently now.

Thank you for your help in recommending a different modem.

SteveInWA

Good news!  Thanks for circling back with the result.

RE:  signal strength, I'd try moving the box around - trying different compass orientations and sliding the box around a few inches at a time. This might enable it to pick up a stronger signal.  Otherwise, as long as it gets any stable signal at all, it should work with VoIP.

MemeL

I just tried one thing, it seemed worked. So I am suggesting you try too.

Because the message mentioned about service provider, I wanted to check my service provider, even though I knew mine is google voice.

I logged in the obitalk website, and under

"Approved Service Providers" -> "For Home",

you will see list of things to the right hand side. On top of them is "Google Voice". There is a little blue button "Setup Now" right to it. Even though I thought it should have already been setup, I clicked it anyways, and sure enough, there was something came up, and they system was running. When it's done, I tried again, the phone now works.

So my guess is some how now you need to manually select your service provider in your account now, and the whole system needs to be setup at Obitalk's system again.

For the ones with other service provider, I would suggest to follow the instruction displayed on the web (below the google Voice choice).

Good Luck!

Nodric

I am adding to this thread as I've been doing some testing.  I have been plagued by this issue since I moved house.  I have tried new wireless access points, routers, and have have also changed ISPs.  The only difference is since moving house both my ISPs have been wireless line of sight service providers as I live outside the areas covered by fixed line of fiber providers. 

My current provider has a very stable reliable service delivering 50mpbs from a nearby tower (not satellite).  Like most people when I get the hideous message I reboot the Obitalk devices (I use both a 100 and a 200) and they work fine until when they decide to act up again.  I use several GV accounts and I have the same issue on all of them.

I've tried to isolate all combinations of hardware and service configurations.  I then thought is it the DNS routing of the ISP.  I have now changed my OBI devices to a fixed IP address and configured the DNS servers to Google's public servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  My reasoning is that the OBI devices are losing connection to GV at some point and a reboot forces them to search and find the service again.  I sometimes notice a lag when requesting a webpage from a laptop and this is why I have become suspicious of the ISP DNS service.

I'll update this post over time as I see if this has fixed the issue.  Other than that I can only surmise that it is some peculiarity with using a wireless ISP service.  This seems to be the commonality with others who are having this issue.

BobB

Just to add to the collective, I occasionally have this problem with my Obihai with GV as my SP.  My Obi is hard-wired to my router through a lightly-loaded Netgear managed switch.  So at least in my case I doubt it's a local layer 2 issue here in my home.

psuPete

I've had this problem intermittantly for a few months.  My OBi200 is connected via Ethernet to a Router (Wi-Fi + 4 ports) which is connected to high speed Xfinity Blast! (250+ Mbps)

When I experience the problem w/ GV, I try the OBi test # which also fails.  I then do the ***9 + 1 and it works correctly until it does not.  As a matter of fact, it just occurred again after maybe 15 min from the last reboot.  But this time, though GV failed, OBi test as well as a CallCentric SIP succeeded.

Incoming call seemed OK.  Now outgoing GV call is OK.

I use default DNS and other network parms.

Pete

psuPete

Update:

Problem reoccurred: still can call out via CallCentric, can call in to GV, just can't call out from GV.

Reboot cleared probem.

Pete

ShazamInForum

To psuPete,

Did you update to the latest firmware version for your OBi device?  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13484.msg97742#msg97742

Sign into that Gmail inbox (same Google Voice Gmail), test outgoing calls by "Make a Call" (handset icon) at bottom-left, within your Gmail email inbox.  Call your cell phone number or someone's cell phone number.  Are you able to call out?  (Works best if you use Chrome browser on a pc).

If you can call out in your Gmail inbox then do same call out at the phone connect to your OBi device.  Are you able to call out from there?

Good luck!

psuPete

Usually I just check the OBi dashboard for the device to see if there are any action items.

Previously (and still) I have OBi configured System Mangement / Auto Provisioning with this fw:

http://www.obihai.com/firmware/OBi-latest.fw

Is "latest" something that I should not be using?

Pete

ShazamInForum

From this link I've provided http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13484.msg97742#msg97742

The firmware version should be 3.2.2 build 5921EX (http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-2-5921EX-332148940.fw)

Your link http://www.obihai.com/firmware/OBi-latest.fw gave us page with "404 Not Found!".

We suggest upgrading instead and test your calls again.

Good luck!

psuPete

Thank you

Just did so and time will tell if this intermittant situation is resolved.

wspalding

This started happening to me after I changed my gmail login password.  What was weird about it was that the problem would go away for a short period of time (a day or so) after a device reboot.  Anyhow, after updating my Google credentials on the ObiTalk website the problem went away.  I no longer have the problem.
I had read a post that said I needed to reset my Google credentials on the OBiTalk site, and when I asked "How do I do that?" I got the following reply from a Google Platinum Product Expert named Bluescat.

OBiTALK devices act as SIP VoIP clients, in the same was as the Google Voice website, and the Android and iOS Google Voice apps.  To do so, the devices need your permission to access the Google Voice SIP VoIP service.  Once you identify the correct Google/Gmail account that holds your Google Voice number, the procedure then exchanges secure authorization tokens from Google, with the device.

Describing how to set up an OBiTALK device is out of scope for this forum.  If you already set one up to use a Google account, and it is not working, or you changed Google accounts, then:

• Use a laptop or desktop computer's web browser, not a phone or tablet. If you're using Firefox, press Ctrl-Shift-P to open a private browsing window, or press Ctrl-Shift-N if you're using Google Chrome Browser or Safari.  In that private/incognito window,
  • Sign into the one, and only one Google/Gmail account that holds your Google Voice number.  Go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings
  • Confirm that you see your inbound Google Voice phone number at the top of the page.  If not, then this is either the wrong Google account, or you don't have a Google Voice number.  Find the right account.
  • Leave this browser tab open.  Press Ctrl-T to open another incognito/private tab.  In this tab, sign into your OBiTALK device configuration dashboard, here:  http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev
  • Click on your device, then click on the Service Provider (SPx) that you are using with Google Voice.
  • On the next page, click the link to the right of "Replace Google account credentials", and follow the  instructions.  When it asks your permission to use your Google account, make sure it displays the same, correct Gmail address you are using in the first browser tab.
  • Wait for the procedure to finish.  You're done.