News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I access the OBI Attendant from my SIP accounts?

Started by Aaron, February 12, 2011, 05:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

I've got my OBI set up with a POTS line and a Google Voice service provider.. I've been able to test out connecting to the OBI Attendant by calling the # associated with the POTS line and connecting to Google Voice, but I would like to know if I can also do the reverse, i.e. calling my Google Voice number and being able to connect to the POTS line. That would be pretty neat if it was possible.

Thanks!

QBZappy

If you were calling at a location that is away from the Obi unit using the Google Voice number, it could be recognized in the Inbound calls route. You could then have it bridge to the POTS line to make a local call. However since Google Voice allows you to make calls throughout North America I don't see the need for it, unless you want to show your local CID in the call. Even then you would have to tweak the spoof CID setting to do what you would like to accomplish in your call strategy.

Don't forget in addition to being able to dial # to get the POTS line, you also can dial **1 or **2 to hit the POTS line or the Google voice trunks (previously defined as SP1 and SP2).

Cool none the less.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Aaron

My OBI is connected to a POTS line in a overseas country, and also to Google Voice. What I want to do is be able to call my Google Voice number from the US, get connected to the OBI Attendant, to make a new call via the POTS line in the overseas country.

Could somebody from OBI comment if the OBI Attendant can be active on the Google Voice provider to facilitate making a new call on the POTS line?

jimates

Connecting to the Obi through google is only possible within the US. Let me rephrase that. Connecting to the google chat in gmail is only possible within the US.

google voice only works in the US. Google uses IP addresses to determine if the device is outside the US. If you call your GV number the call will not be forwarded through an ip that is not in the US.

When it comes to using google with the Obi, the Obi is just an extension of your google chat in gmail.
The Obi device outside the country is the same as having your computer there trying to use google chat from gmail. It might work through a proxy with a US ip.

What you want to do is one of the key features of the Obi110. But to complete the task you will have to call the Obi110, not a google voice number. To call the Obi110 directly you have to call from another Obi device or from one of the Obion apps.

i guess there will always be a few exceptions that work outside the norm, but what I said is the way google says it should work; or not work.

***I did edit this post after Obi-Guru posted below. I added the last line and the second sentence of the first line.

OBi-Guru

Assuming your GV on OBi110 is working in the overseas country (there are several we are aware of that are working), and you are calling from a phone number that is in the trusted list of your OBi110, then yes, the OBi auto-attendant will answer, and you can press 2 to make a new call.   **8 would be the prefix to make a call on to the local land-line.

Aaron

Thanks for the replies. GV works in my country, either because the IP block is very new and Google has not tagged it just yet, or it was just overlooked... for the near future, hopefully...

OBi-Guru,

I already have my phone set up in the circle of trust, but it wouldn't trigger the OBI attendant. I changed the matching from 10 digits to the last 7 digits, and it worked. (I did not have Match turned on in both cases)

Thanks for the info about the **8 prefix.

All's well that ends well.. The OBi adapter has lived up and has well exceeded my expectations in a SIP+ adapter. I've got a stack of PAP2s waiting to be replaced...