News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callers can't hear me well

Started by SmallCube, December 31, 2018, 07:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallCube

Recently, some callers can't hear me well. They say that I keep breaking up.

To try to diagnose the problem, I tried some test echo numbers and they don't seem to work properly:

1. Call 631-791-8378
2. Record a brief message
3. Press #
4. Press 3
5. Press *
6. Say something and it should echo back. After a while, I don't hear anything. Checking the Obihai Call Status, "Peer Clock Differential Rate" is around -200000 PPM, "Packets (10ms) Interpolated" is several thousand and "skew compensation" is several thousand ms.

I tried another test number (909-390-0003) and most of the time I don't hear anything after a few seconds of echoing. Is anyone else experiencing problems with these echo tests?

I'm using an Obi200 with Google Voice. Internet connection is stable with plenty of bandwidth. I've experimented enabling and disabling router QoS and it hasn't helped. I've used this setup for years and only recently have call quality problems showed up (I've never even tried echo numbers in the past).

Thanks.

SmallCube

The Solution:

There was plenty of download bandwidth, but I noticed that the amount of upload bandwidth was less than usual. I checked the cable modem signal page and it showed that most of the upstream channels were not working properly (probably related to recent local storms / power outages). I rebooted the cable modem and upload bandwidth and latency returned back to normal. Retrying the steps with the echo number 631-791-8378 was successful, however, the 909-390-0003 echo number still had problems.

My guess is that this will solve the issue with real callers.

Thanks.