Trying to configure for GV

Started by sheep99dog, October 28, 2018, 09:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheep99dog

Bought the OBi200 via Amazon.  Trying to configure for Google Voice.

Plugged the unit in.  Added the unit to my Dashboard (apparently OK) although the Dashboard says the unit is "offline".  Proceeded to the GV Setup tab and got the following response.

Firmware upgrade needed.
Cannot upgrade 510660832 since it is offline. Please try again when it is online.

Checked unit status through "System Management".  Indicated I'm on

3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX)

So, my questions are:

1) How do I go "online"?
2) Does Build 5921EX support GV?

Any help appreciated.

drgeoff

5921 is the latest firmware and does support GV.

Follow exactly the instructions by SteveInWA in https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

sheep99dog

Thanks.  My bad.  It was a firewall issue.

jpiddle

I'm having the exact same issue.

I just purchased an OBi200 to replace my aged OBi100, and after adding the device and it showing online under the dashboard, it keeps saying "Firmware upgrade needed. Cannot upgrade [number] since it is offline. Please try again when it is online" when I click the "Google Voice Set-up" button.

The device is obviously online because I can go into expert mode and it has no trouble pulling the settings from the device. It is running firmware 3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX). I tried downgrading to 5859EX, and after about 7-10 minutes when it was accessible again, it was still on 5921EX. Maybe it downgraded then auto updated? If I try uploading the 5921EX firmware, it says it's the same version and refuses to upgrade.

I've also tried the steps in the linked article (although being a brand new device, it shouldn't require it), but no luck.

TimAtHome

Quote from: jpiddle on December 18, 2018, 07:33:17 PM
I'm having the exact same issue.

I just purchased an OBi200 to replace my aged OBi100, and after adding the device and it showing online under the dashboard, it keeps saying "Firmware upgrade needed. Cannot upgrade [number] since it is offline. Please try again when it is online" when I click the "Google Voice Set-up" button.

The device is obviously online because I can go into expert mode and it has no trouble pulling the settings from the device. It is running firmware 3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX). I tried downgrading to 5859EX, and after about 7-10 minutes when it was accessible again, it was still on 5921EX. Maybe it downgraded then auto updated? If I try uploading the 5921EX firmware, it says it's the same version and refuses to upgrade.

I've also tried the steps in the linked article (although being a brand new device, it shouldn't require it), but no luck.

Same exact thing is happening to me with my Obi202.

It's online. The router sees it. Obitalk sees it. When I dial ***6 it says "Software update not available."

SteveInWA

As discussed elsewhere in the forum this afternoon, unless something has changed in the past 24 hours, it's a bogus error message.  Try again tomorrow.

jpiddle

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 18, 2018, 07:52:43 PM
As discussed elsewhere in the forum this afternoon, unless something has changed in the past 24 hours, it's a bogus error message.  Try again tomorrow.

Funny enough, I eventually found a post from like 2016 where someone had the same problem, and they say it started working eventually just by waiting a few hours. I just tried it again (it's probably been about an hour since I added the device), and it finally worked. Either their system was tripping out or the device need some time to "settle" (or both).

At any rate, I'm finally all good and have an outgoing phone line again.

BobB

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 18, 2018, 07:52:43 PM
As discussed elsewhere in the forum this afternoon, unless something has changed in the past 24 hours, it's a bogus error message.  Try again tomorrow.

Link please?  It's not encouraging that 5 minutes after unboxing I'm already on the support forum chasing a cryptic error...

SteveInWA

I was referring to a duplicate question that I had already answered.  The answer was "wait until tomorrow and try again".  That's all.

Stew

What they do not tell you anywhere and this is from experience from setting eight of these up now. It can take anywhere from 10min - 24 hours for it to start working.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Stew on December 22, 2018, 11:08:27 PM
What they do not tell you anywhere and this is from experience from setting eight of these up now. It can take anywhere from 10min - 24 hours for it to start working.

They don't tell you that anywhere because it is bunkum.

Marc

Quote from: Stew on December 22, 2018, 11:08:27 PM
What they do not tell you anywhere and this is from experience from setting eight of these up now. It can take anywhere from 10min - 24 hours for it to start working.

I've setup 100's of Obi devices never experienced any such delay.
OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.