News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unable to connect to GV

Started by RenoDave, December 09, 2018, 11:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ymcp

thank you. i dont have the option of setting the dns on the (not so) "smart router" provided by optimum

SteveInWA

1.1.1.1 should be fine. 

Big picture:  consumer internet service providers (ISPs) typically run their own DNS.  These DNS servers may be slow, and/or may be redirecting invalid addresses to some sort of annoying, unwanted website, such as one that offers to sell you the domain name, and/or they may be aggregating and selling usage information to advertisers.  They may also have weak security.

Instead, the better alternative is to use one of several free, high-performance, high-security DNS provided by third parties.  These DNS do not perform unwanted redirects, are geographically diverse, have very high performance returning queries, and typically have better security.

A few examples are:

1.1.1.1:  Cloudflare -- supposedly the fastest DNS
8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 Google public DNS
9.9.9.9 "Quad 9" DNS, operated by IBM and a consortium of security companies

Use whichever one of these you want.

SteveInWA

...and, if you can't set it on your ISP router, then set it on your devices.

madhatter

Quote from: zorlac on January 23, 2019, 01:04:51 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on January 23, 2019, 11:01:37 AM
However, ideally, the place to set your home network's DNS is in your main router, vs. on the individual devices.
I've been using 1.1.1.1 for a DNS on my router for over a year without issue and prefer to leave it that way. I'm of the opinion something's amiss with GV since I'm still getting occasional warning popups on the GV texting page that I might not be able to make calls over the internet & to check my settings even though my obi200 is working now.
This guy says the DNS fix isn't working for him, I dunno.

I tried using 1.1.1.1 about a year ago and none of my VOIPs would work ... OOMA, NetTALK and Obi

SteveInWA

Well then, don't use 1.1.1.1.  Use 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 instead.  I guarantee that it works with Google Voice (after all, Google owns the DNS).