News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obitalk sending HUGE amounts of data to Callcentric server

Started by leopheard, November 25, 2018, 12:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leopheard

Hi all,

I have an Obitalk 200 with Google Voice as the first provider and the second as Callcentric for the 911 service. I recently installed a Pihole (network wide adblocker) and then looked at the traffic. I noticed 2 million DNS requests a day and saw a lot of that was from the Obitalk communicating with the Callcentric server up to hundreds of times a second - see here:

https://pastebin.com/p5MVQPdx

CC have advised to set the DNSquerydelay in the WAN settings to 5 instead of 2. Have rebooted and monitoring to see if that helps. Anyone else had a similar issue?

BGood

I have an Obi202 with 2 lines (GVand Anveo). When I installed a PiHole on the network and pointed my desktop DNS to the PiHole instead of Google or Comcast, I immediately received a SIP disconnected warning email from Anveo.  After resetting my desktop DNS to Google, I received an email from Anveo that the Obi's Anveo SIP has been restored.

I have not researched this further, but suspect that Anveo/Obi servers need to be added to the PiHole's exception list.

leopheard

Thanks, I've added _sip._udp.callcentric.com and a few variants to the whitelist. I'm assuming that's what you meant as I guess adding them to the blacklist would stop the Callcentric service from working on my GV phone?

With your example though, I'm not sure why your desktop PC pointing towards the Pihole DNS would affect the status of your VOIP phone? Unless you're running a VOIP service on your computer?

BGood

Sorry for not being more explicit, but as I recall the SIP disconnect occurs when the Obitalk config portal is accessed from the desktop.  I still have the PiHole on the network, but have reverted desktop and router DHCP configurations to NOT use the PiHole for DNS.