News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 Loud static noise during outgoing calls

Started by RichR, December 18, 2018, 10:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichR

Hi,

I'm having an intermittent problem with a loud static noise when someone answers an outgoing call. It happens irregularly with any phone number and the noise is all I can hear. The unit is about 3 weeks old and I did update it to the latest firmware. One thing I should mention is that I received and tried to setup the unit during the Thanksgiving weekend but there was a known issue with the server. I had to wait a few days to complete the setup.

Thanks,

Rich

scott818

It could be a bad power adapter. I was having a static problem on one of my OBi202's recently. I tried everything to fix it: firmware upgrades/downgrades, factory reset, different telephone cords, etc. The problem still remained. Then I tried swapping the power adapter with one from another OBi202 and the static went away. I've since purchased a new power adapter and all is working fine again. It seems like the power adapters that are included with these devices fail after a few years or so. I remember having an issue a few years ago with buzzing/humming on the line that was caused by the power adapter.

ParadingLunatic

I'm also having this issue.  It seems to happen more often lately as well.  The second the call is connected all I hear is 100% static LOUDLY.  They can hear me just fine.  Doesn't sound like a power supply issue to me (not like a hum or a hiss in the background). 

cmbro

Quote from: ParadingLunatic on January 20, 2019, 08:05:58 PM
The second the call is connected all I hear is 100% static LOUDLY...  Doesn't sound like a power supply issue to me (not like a hum or a hiss in the background).

This loud noise is a known problem with some Obihai devices under certain circumstances. Google Voice and Obihai are allegedly working on the problem.

In my case, I have an Obihai 200 for my Google Voice line. The telephone instrument port is connected to my house telephone wiring. My Internet arrives on a Frontier DSL line through a Netgear D2200D gateway. In an effort to alleviate the problem, I recently simplified the wiring near my Obihai 200. I removed an AT&T answering machine, separated the Obihai from a nearby Raspberry Pi 1 computer and unbundled some wiring.

The noise has not returned but it was rare before so it's not conclusive. The noise sounds to me like it might be the DSL stream of data.

cmbro

casolaro

I put a check mark in the "Primary Line" default box and the static stopped.

rrr1

Quote from: casolaro on April 25, 2020, 11:53:47 AM

Now that it's been 8 months, did this change solve your noise issues? I'm having the same problem.....
thx!

Taoman

Quote from: rrr1 on December 06, 2020, 06:00:46 PM

Now that it's been 8 months, did this change solve your noise issues? I'm having the same problem.....
thx!
If you're referring to static when 3-way calling check out this post. First time I've heard of it but it wouldn't hurt to try it.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13935.msg103791#msg103791

rrr1

Quote from: Taoman on December 06, 2020, 09:08:28 PM

thx!
If you're referring to static when 3-way calling check out this post. First time I've heard of it but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Thanks for the reply, but my problem is static when I dial out.
There is 1 particular number I can call that will consistently go static. After reading about this problem I now believe that it is a codec/hw/sw mismatch issue between my 'system' (OBi+GV) and the receiving 'system' (unknown). Still looking for a solution...or a replacement for the OBi and/or GV. From what I see it looks like the OBi+GV is the only solution that has no monthly fees. I'm open to suggestions.

rrr1

Has anyone tried using the obi box with something other than GoogleVoice (Skype, Ooma, etc) to see if this fixes the 'static on calling out' issue?
Is this static issue only with certain versions of the obi box (100, 200, 202, 300,etc)? I have a 202 with the static problem....
thx

Shinelikethunder

Quote from: Taoman on December 06, 2020, 09:08:28 PM

thx!

I tried that, and it didn't fix the problem I'm having (loud static on outbound calls when callee switches to another line.)