News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

I'm being slammed with voip calls, perhaps an error in setup on my end or theirs

Started by JeffDB, February 05, 2019, 01:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffDB

Things seemed to be going pretty well for me for awhile when I set up my Obi 1062. I had a google # on line 1, another google # on line 6 & a free incoming Callcentric # on line 3.

Then one evening I started getting call after call after call on line 3. It rang incessantly all night & into the morning. I picked it up & no one would be on the line... then it would call back almost immediately. I was getting hundreds of calls & they didn't have any legitimate phone # on the caller id. If I recall, they showed up as something like V395787965...

I checked with Callcentric but there were no numbers showing up as incoming calls. I posted a support ticket and was told that it wasn't coming through their servers. If I understood correctly, they said it might be some sort of misconfiguration in the setup on the Obihai, or that there might be a way to re-configure it to prevent that.

Then it stopped on its own & I forgot about it, but periodically it would start up again... maybe a few days or a week or two later.

Now I'm getting the four middle lines lighting up continuously... lines 2 through 5, which are unused now that Callcentric discontinued their free incoming line service.

Any help, recommendations would be appreciated.

Sheffield_Steve

How is the Obi connected to the internet?

Do you have a router/firewall between the Obi and the modem?

JeffDB

Quote from: Sheffield_Steve on February 05, 2019, 01:45:43 PM
How is the Obi connected to the internet?

Do you have a router/firewall between the Obi and the modem?

It is connected via an ethernet cable to an AT&T modem/router.

I assume it has a built in firewall.

Sheffield_Steve

It doesn't sound like it.

You probably need a router between the modem and your equipment

Check out this post do a scan of your system at the grc.com site as suggested:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=15546.msg97075#msg97075

Quote from: JeffDB on February 05, 2019, 02:04:23 PM

azrobert

These are SIP calls routed to your public IP and a port number commonly used by SIP devices.
Use OBi Expert to make the following change on each of your lines:

Voice Services -> SPx -> X_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly: Checked

JeffDB

Quote from: Sheffield_Steve on February 05, 2019, 02:09:31 PM
It doesn't sound like it.

You probably need a router between the modem and your equipment

Check out this post do a scan of your system at the grc.com site as suggested:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=15546.msg97075#msg97075

Quote from: JeffDB on February 05, 2019, 02:04:23 PM

Thank you. I will check that out tomorrow.

JeffDB

Quote from: azrobert on February 05, 2019, 02:18:00 PM
These are SIP calls routed to your public IP and a port number commonly used by SIP devices.

Thank you very much!

I will check that out tomorrow.

Luckily I have hit a little respite & hopefully can fix it before it starts up again.

Sheffield_Steve

Be aware that although this may indeed stop the calls, it's only a band-aid over a bigger problem that you may have.

The fact that your obi is getting these calls means that it's connected and open to incoming connections from the internet.  If the rest of your network (PC's, etc) are connected in the same manner you are extremely vulnerable to be being hacked or having your PC compromised in some way. 

Bad actors from around the world are constantly scanning the internet in an attempt to find networks/pc's that have zero security. Their mission is to get onto your PC and try and find your bank passwords etc.

Quote from: azrobert on February 05, 2019, 02:18:00 PM