News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI or Google Voice, Who's in Charge?

Started by audioresearch, September 18, 2011, 11:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioresearch

I'm using my OBI110 with Google Voice. I set it up using the OBI setup wizard.

QUESTION: Who's "star codes" work, OBI or Google Voice?

QUESTION: The Google Voice pop-up window that used to appear when I had my Gmail page open in a browser when an incoming call came in has stopped popping up. Is that because I installed OBI?

QUESTION: I also have Verizon phone service. I was thinking of connecting it to my OBI box so I can supposedly call out to 911. If someone calls my Verizon phone number directly, rather than calling my Google Voice number, will that cause the phone handset connected to my OBI box to ring? If so, is there a way to disable anyone from ringing my OBI-connected handset by calling my Verizon phone number? I only want my OBI connected phone handset to ring when my Google Voice number is called, not when my Verizon number is called.

QUESTION: Just curious, did OBI make some sort of special arrangement with Google so that the OBI box can intercept calls I forward to Google Talk (which I do because that is what the OBI/Google Voice setup instructions told me to do) or is that feature merely part of some type of open software standard that Google Voice adheres to such that I can setup any voip service to intercept incoming calls and send them to the OBI box that will ring the phone attached to the OBI box?

RonR

Quote from: audioresearch on September 18, 2011, 11:42:37 AM
QUESTION: Who's "star codes" work, OBI or Google Voice?

I wan't aware that Google Voice supported any Star Codes.

In general, Star Codes are handled by the OBi unless explicitly routed to a provider by an appropriate DigitMap rule.

QUESTION: The Google Voice pop-up window that used to appear when I had my Gmail page open in a

I'll leave this for someone else as I don't use Google Voice/Google Chat/Google Talk from my Gmail page (I use POP with my Gmail account and rarely ever log into Google anything).

QUESTION: I also have Verizon phone service. I was thinking of connecting it to my OBI box so I can supposedly call out to 911. If someone calls my Verizon phone number directly, rather than calling my Google Voice number, will that cause the phone handset connected to my OBI box to ring? If so, is there a way to disable anyone from ringing my OBI-connected handset by calling my Verizon phone number? I only want my OBI connected phone handset to ring when my Google Voice number is called, not when my Verizon number is called.

If you connect a PSTN line to the OBi's LINE Port, 911 calls will go to the PSTN Line by default.  You can also make calls through the PSTN Line by prefixing the number with **8.  Incoming calls from the PSTN Line will ring the OBi's PHONE Port by default (with call waiting signalling if it's already in use).  If you don't want any incoming calls from the PSTN Line to ring the OBi's PHONE Port, set:

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> InboundCallRoute : {@|?:}

QUESTION: Just curious, did OBI make some sort of special arrangement with Google so that the OBI box can intercept calls I forward to Google Talk (which I do because that is what the OBI/Google Voice setup instructions told me to do) or is that feature merely part of some type of open software standard that Google Voice adheres to such that I can setup any voip service to intercept incoming calls and send them to the OBI box that will ring the phone attached to the OBI box?

The OBi makes use of the interface that Google uses with its Google Talk capability.

gtj0

Regarding the star codes...  I just got my OBi on Friday and tested this.  If you're on an incoming call, GV gets the star code so you can ring your other phones.  If not on a call, then the OBi gets them.

RonR

Quote from: gtj0 on September 18, 2011, 03:01:44 PM
Regarding the star codes...  I just got my OBi on Friday and tested this.  If you're on an incoming call, GV gets the star code so you can ring your other phones.  If not on a call, then the OBi gets them.

Pressing an * while on a Google Call isn't a Star Code.

Star Codes are used for various calling feaures, such as:

*67  ->  Block CallerId
*69  ->  Call Return
*77  ->  Block Anonymous Calls

etc.

audioresearch

Thanks, this info has been very helpful.

Please tell me what settings I can make so that all outgoing calls will automatically (without my having to dial any special key sequences to make this happen) go out through the obi110 fxo port, not just calls to 911.

I still want my incoming calls to come only from Google Voice and not from the line attached to the obi110 fxo port.

Is there anything I can read online that will tell me how to program the "expert" setting of the obi110 including digitmaps, etc, which are all new to me and are not something I know a lot about.

Thanks again very much.

RonR

Quote from: audioresearch on September 20, 2011, 12:33:10 AM
Please tell me what settings I can make so that all outgoing calls will automatically (without my having to dial any special key sequences to make this happen) go out through the obi110 fxo port, not just calls to 911.

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : PSTN Line

I still want my incoming calls to come only from Google Voice and not from the line attached to the obi110 fxo port.

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> InboundCallRoute : {@|?:}

Is there anything I can read online that will tell me how to program the "expert" setting of the obi110 including digitmaps, etc, which are all new to me and are not something I know a lot about.

OBi Device Administration Guide

Shakopee

QuoteQUESTION: The Google Voice pop-up window that used to appear when I had my Gmail page open in a browser when an incoming call came in has stopped popping up. Is that because I installed OBI?

Is is possible to pop-up in Gmail AND Ring the phone connected to obi110? Or can you at least toggle between them?