News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

I receive phone calls as out of area

Started by momo1, January 26, 2019, 09:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momo1

Also my caller id says a different name for some people

drgeoff

1.  What VoIP service provider are you using?

2.  Do you mean the Caller ID Name that other people receive when you phone them?

momo1

1. Google voice
2. When i receive the phone calls it's says out of area
And when I call it's says a different name on the caller id

drgeoff

Regarding the name that others see when you call them.

Caller ID Name is not sent across the POTS network (landline or cellular), only the Number.  For such calls, any Caller ID Name that the callee receives is generated by the callee's phone service provider by doing a database lookup on the  Number.  There is no single, universal, master database.  No guarantee that the correct name will be against your number in all databases.  Not a lot you can do about that.

drgeoff

Regarding "Out of area".

Dial ***1, listen for the IP address of your OBi to be read out to you and write it down.

Put that address into a web browser.  If you have an Obi200 you will be prompted for login credentials.  Use admin and admin.  If you have an OBi202 you will get an error message in which case come back here for help.

At the left, click on Status and then on Call History.  You should see your incoming calls.  Do they show the expected numbers?

momo1

Hi
I see all the numbers
Instead of a name you see out of area

Also a lot of incoming calls are not going through

drgeoff

GoogleVoice does not provide Caller Name except for your GV contacts or business numbers.  However a read of http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=15386.20 suggests it was not working properly last November and I see no update that it has been fixed.