News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV - Inbound Caller ID ?

Started by telljcl, February 12, 2019, 07:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

telljcl

Have been using Obi device for 5 or 6 years. Currently an Obi202.

There seems to be talk of GV now passing Caller ID info on incoming calls?

My situation is as follows:

Added a PhonePower account years ago because there used to be no Caller ID info (inbound) using only my GV account.

So I now use GV for outbound (don't want to port my GV number anywhere else), so party called sees my GV number.

I forward my incoming GV to PhonePower (in GV setup, not Obi), so incoming calls have Caller ID name / number.

Can I ditch PhonePower and expect same with only GV for incoming and outbound?

I'm looking for actual Caller ID info on incoming calls - not a lookup of google contacts (otherwise no info shows for a caller that isn't in your contacts...)

It isn't the $5 / month that PhonePower costs that bothers me, but the added complexity, and the fact that often times when I pick up a ringing incoming call, the line is dead. Caller has to call back, and sometimes that works, sometimes it is dead again. Probably occurs on 20% of incoming calls via PhonePower. Haven't found a solution...

Thanks for any insight.

SteveInWA

No, Google Voice does not do caller ID name lookups in the CNAM LIDB (the telco industry database).

telljcl

Quote from: SteveInWA on February 12, 2019, 12:45:02 PM
No, Google Voice does not do caller ID name lookups in the CNAM LIDB (the telco industry database).

Thank you for clarifying.