News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Issues with Google Voice Setup - Obi200

Started by Graham, April 01, 2019, 07:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

Hi all,

I have an Obi200 and set it up with 3 lines: FPL (Canada), Google Voice & a UK one.

It was working perfectly, even after the Google Voice update, until I accidentally deleted the Obi200 from the list of my incoming call devices on my Google Voice account.

I intentionally have device provisioning and the Obitalk service disabled, as I prefer to use the direct IP address and manage it from there.

So what I did was as follows:
1. Backed up all my settings via the IP login.
2. Re-enabled auto provisioning and the obitalk service
3. Deleted and re-added GV via the obitalk web portal.
4. After some time, my GV line was then working properly again.
5. Logged in via the IP address and my other two lines were not working.
6. Re-loaded my backed up settings.
7. Other two lines were now working, but GV was unable to connect now.

So ultimately when re-loading my backed up settings, it seems to somehow be killing GV.

When Google ended xmpp support last year, these steps were exactly what I did when re-enabling GV and everything worked without issue. The only difference was that I didn't delete/re-add GV when doing that (because I didn't need to), but rather just let it do the update. But it still had the same problem where I then needed to reload my backed up settings to get my other two lines working again. But when I did that, GV kept working fine.

When I login via the obitalk web portal, it just says the status of my Obi200 is offline. I'm assuming this is because I have auto provisioning, etc. turned off.

When I login with the IP address login, for the GV line, it says "Connect Failed: No Response" along with the IP address.

Any ideas here? Like I say, it appears when reloading my backed up settings, it's somehow killing GV. I'm guessing that because I had to delete and re-add it, something key has changed compared to previously, and my reload is wiping that.

Hoping someone can help please :-)

Thanks!

Taoman

Quote from: Graham on April 01, 2019, 07:56:00 AM

Hoping someone can help please :-)

What "help" do you need? You've diagnosed the problem. If you've restored from backup you'll need to re-enable OBitalk provisioning and delete your GV SP config and then remake it.

RonR just released a little program to deal with this exact problem. Suggest you download it and use it in the future. You need to delete your GV config from the backup file before doing a restore.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32343610-

Graham

Thanks!

I guess the help I needed was how to restore my backup with my other two SP's without killing GV again. Re-adding GV on the obitalk web portal wiped out my other two SPs, and then restoring my backup to get them back wiped out my GV. Was like a viscous cycle where I could see what was happening but wasn't sure how to fix it.

As per the link you sent on, it appears the best fix is to create a backup without the GV SP. That way I can restore GV from the obitalk web portal, and then load my backup to bring back my other two SPs without killing GV. This should work perfectly.

I'll download it later on when I get a chance at home, but is it fair to assume this will work regardless of which SP I have set for GV? It happens to be SP2 for me, which is intentional.

Thanks again for the help!

Taoman

Quote from: Graham on April 01, 2019, 09:47:15 AM

I'll download it later on when I get a chance at home, but is it fair to assume this will work regardless of which SP I have set for GV? It happens to be SP2 for me, which is intentional.

That could be a problem. Last time I added GV the portal didn't give me an option of which SP slot to install it on. It just installs GV in the first available SP slot and if that's SP1 that's where it will be installed.

The solution would be to add the device to the portal, configure a dummy SIP config in SP1*, and then add GV which will get added to SP2. When you later do the restore the dummy config on SP1 will be overwritten.

*I'm curious what the absolute minimum dummy configuration you would need to add to SP1 for the portal to know SP1 is in use so it then installs GV on SP2. If you experiment with this please report back here what you experienced.

Graham

Quote from: Taoman on April 01, 2019, 12:18:20 PM

That could be a problem. Last time I added GV the portal didn't give me an option of which SP slot to install it on. It just installs GV in the first available SP slot and if that's SP1 that's where it will be installed.

I didn't actually have a problem picking which SP on the obitalk portal. I just went to the obi dashboard, then clicked the settings icon next to 'Obiextras'. If you then scroll down the page to your list of service providers, you can then click the settings icon to the right of the one you want and then add GV from in there.

That seemed to let me add it where I wanted without issue.

So as long as the program you linked me to lets me pick which SP to delete from the backup (in my case, SP2), then I should be good to go, I think.

All this is theory until I test it, but I think I'm ok as long as the program lets me delete a specific SP from the backup :-)

Thanks!

Taoman

Quote from: Graham on April 01, 2019, 12:28:33 PM

I didn't actually have a problem picking which SP on the obitalk portal. I just went to the obi dashboard, then clicked the settings icon next to 'Obiextras'. If you then scroll down the page to your list of service providers, you can then click the settings icon to the right of the one you want and then add GV from in there.

Yep, it's working for me now, too. I think the portal was having "issues" the last time I tried this.

Graham

Just wanted to say thank you - this worked perfectly and was very simple.

Just for the reference of anyone else, I did the following:

1. Logged into my Obi via the IP login.
2. Took a backup of my Obi settings (including running status, inl. default value, and use OBi Version boxes.)
3. Used the tool at https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32343610-SPRemove-An-OBi-Backup-Aid to remove my GV settings (SP & corresponding ITSP boxes)
4. Enabled auto provisioning and the obitalk service
5. Logged into the Obitalk web portal
6. Deleted my GV configuration and re-added it on the SP that I'd deleted from the backup
7. After configuration was completed, tested GV and it worked again.
8. Logged into the IP login on my Obi and my other SPs weren't working
9. Reloaded the backup where I'd removed the GV settings
10. All worked perfectly!

Thanks!!