News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 and 2 Google Voice #'s (Answered)

Started by ob2s, March 27, 2019, 02:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ob2s

Can 2 GV #'s run on one OBi202 ? Or will it require I buy 2 Obi200s ? I dropping Ooma because they drop calls and can't fix after a month.

SteveInWA

Both devices (200 and 202) have four independent Service Provider configurations SP1--SP4.  You can use each of those four SP's with any combination of Google Voice or SIP ITSP services.  So yes, one device can host two different Google Voice numbers.  The difference between the two models is that the 202 would allow you to have two separate analog telephone lines connected to the device, whereas the 202 supports only one line.

With regard to Google Voice:  it's a service, like Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Contacts, etc.  All Google services are assigned to a Google account (Gmail address).  One Google account can host one or two inbound Google Voice numbers.  When using two numbers, all inbound calls to either number will ring the same destination phone numbers or devices, and hear the same voicemail greetings.  Outbound calls will use the caller ID of the number designated as "primary".  You can switch primary/secondary roles at any time via the Google Voice settings page.   So:  the two numbers are not completely separate.

If you want two completely independent Google Voice numbers that route to two separate destinations, then you'll need to set up two separate Google accounts.  You'd configure one Google account on each SP, and you would route one SP to one physical phone jack on the back of the OBi, and the other SP to the other jack.

ob2s

Thanks. I do have 2 accounts. I'll need to transfer my existing number to the 2nd google account, but that should get me out of ooma hell.

ob2s666

I have to say that getting this device to work consistently is easily the most frustrating experience with a device I have ever had in my life. It is just one CF after another. I would never recommend this to anyone. 10 hours of  resetting, re logging in, echo server, no ability to make calls....a groundhog day of wasted time with no resolve. It worked for 3 days, but I had a power outage, now pure and utter frustration. If by some miracle I hold my mouth right and it works again, will I be put through the ringer on every power outage ?

ob2s666

Edit: After the 3rd reset it all works. I will buy a UPS for it, although there are times when the cable goes out, so I will see if the reset procedure is required then. I should qualify that when it works....I do not get long connect times and dropped calls like I did from Ooma, it works well. So I have achieved that.