News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OB200 is connected but does not work.

Started by Steevo1, April 24, 2019, 09:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steevo1

I have two OB200 units at two locations, both connected to the same google voice number.
They have been working fine for a couple years. Incoming and outgoing calls have worked.

One of the locations has stopped working. The OB200 says connected and it gives dialtone to the connected phone. But outgoing calls never ring. Just dead air.
Incoming calls always go to google voice voicemail and I do get the emails about missed calls and messages, but the OB200 at that location never rings.

The other location works fine in and outbound. Both OB200 units are in my Obitalk dashboard and seem to both be connected to google voice.

I looked in my google voice account and only the working OB200 is added as a device, the other one is no longer there. It was there.

I don't see a way to add the other OBI200 to google voice. Can I add the second OBI200 back as a device for the same google voice number the other one is using?  How?  I did the configure device for google voice in the Obitalk dashboard, signed into the correct google account and that all says success, but the device is missing from my google account, I have web and the other obitalk device, and that's it.

This was all working but I have signed in to the google account and tried to add the missing location from the obitalk dashboard and nothing happens.  It looks to me that only one Obitalk device can be on any google account and it didn't used to be that way. I suspect google stopped duplicate obitalk devices from being used in one google voice account.

I looked at the legacy google voice setup.
https://www.google.com/voice/b/0#phones

There is a link to add another phone. I clicked it.
There is my working Obihai200 and my web phone, (which works) but no way to add another device.

drgeoff

OBi devices are added to GV by using the Obitalk portal.  They cannot be added using via voice.google.com.

Steevo1

I've added it that way three times today and it is never there, and nothing changed.

Steevo1

I'm in my Obitalk dashboard.
Two Obi200s are there. The one that does not work says connected.
They both have the very same active google username.

Only the working one is listed on the google site.

SteveInWA

Yes, you can have multiple OBiTALK devices connected to the same Google account.  I typically have four connected to my main Google account.  The provisioning sometimes gets broken. 

The nearly universal solution to this problem is:

• Go to your OBiTALK dashboard, https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev. Click the OBiTALK device you want to use.  On the next page, click the blue "Delete Device" icon to remove it completely off of the dashboard.  Wait a few minutes while it resets and removes the device, and the LEDs have stopped blinking (except for the middle LED flickering).
  • Then, unplug the Ethernet and power cables from the device, leaving just the phone cable.  Plug back in only the power cable, and wait for it to boot up.
  • Pick up the phone and key in ***8 then 1 to confirm restore to factory defaults.  Wait for it to go through the blinking lights thing for several minutes.
  • On your browser, go here:  https://myaccount.google.com/.  In the "Apps with account access section", click the "MANAGE APPS" link, and then delete any telephony apps that have permission to use your account, including Simonics GVGW and/or Asterisk.
  • Now, plug in the Ethernet cable and go to the OBiTALK dashboard, and click the button to add a device.  Follow the instructions to press **5 xxxx to add your device.
  • After the device is successfully added back, follow the instructions to add Google Voice again.
  • When you get to the step where it will ask your permission to access your Google account, look closely at the gmail address it displays.  This address must be the same one that displays your Google Voice phone number, here:  https://voice.google.com/settings, and you must see "Google Voice number" at the top of the Google Voice settings page, with your inbound Google Voice number next to it.  If you not see a Google Voice number, then you are either looking at the wrong Google account, or you don't have a number.

Steevo1

In that apps with account access is only google voice, with obitalk in it.
Do I have to remove that? My other location is working and I can't go there and press buttons.

SteveInWA

Try skipping that one step, perform the rest of the procedure, and see what happens.  By the way, do NOT attempt to fix this using the old, "Legacy" version of the Google Voice website.

On the new Google Voice settings page, when an OBiTALK device is properly authorized to use that account, you should see a separate line item in Account-->My devices for each OBiTALK device.

https://voice.google.com/settings

Steevo1

I did the procedure skipping that step, and it all works again. I now have two Obitalk devices listed in the google voice devices.

Thanks! That was a great writeup.

I searched and found nothing like that to solve this problem.
Thanks again.

I was away from this location for four months, and it had an internet failure that I couldn't resolve remotely, so that may be why the Obitalk device timed out, it had not connected to the server in a while and they surmised it was no longer in use. That might be a decision someone made somewhere, if so they ought to rethink that.

SteveInWA

Great!  Thanks for the feedback.  I'll stencil another telephone to the side of my bomber.

Steevo1

Do you know if that timeout is intentional, either google forgets a device after a while, which is what happened, or Obihai stopped connecting my device to google when it had that internet failure?

The Obi dashboard never forgot the OBI200. But google did.

SteveInWA

It wasn't intentional and there is no "time out".  A properly-added device should just keep working indefinitely, as long as you don't mess with it on Google Voice settings or the OBiTALK portal.   For various reasons not worth investigating, sometimes the authorization of the device to use your Google account gets broken.  Removing the device off of the portal and resetting it, and then re-adding it clears the problem, because this forces the OBiTALK<-->Google provisioning system to reset the authorization.

Steevo1

Yeah, even if it has not connected in months. I may find that out again someday. Heh.
Google never forgot the other Obi unit, but it was connected.