News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi forwarding ALL CALLS to my cellphone and ipad on second ring

Started by KristinG.19, May 02, 2019, 12:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KristinG.19

So I got the Obitalk in order to have unlimited home phone service (not using my cellular minutes).  Since I set it up (with Google voice), the obi is sending every single call to my cell phone and as a Google Hangouts voice call on the second ring.  Sometimes people are trying to call someone who is at my house, and it's ringing my cellphone, and I can't tell that it's the Obi.  Or if I am at home with my cell, there are three different ringtones happening at the same time (cordless phones, cell phone, and ipad).  It's totally chaotic and overwhelming. 
I found something on "star codes" about it (*63 will cancel call forwarding after no answer) but I tried dialing *63 on my cordless phone and nothing happened.  How do the star codes work? 
Also I learned how to go into Expert Config>Voice Services> and I got to a chart where it looks like I could change settings but I am actually unable to change things.  I might want the call forwarded on the 6th ring, for instance (it is set to forward after 2 rings), but the website won't let me change the 2 to 6.  It redirects me back to the previous menu when I attempt to.   

SteveInWA

There is a known bug with Google Voice that is probably causing your issue, but it's hard to know, from your post.  The bug's symptom is:  inbound calls from certain carriers will ring once or twice, and then disconnect before it can be successfully answered.  If this is your symptom, then you can't fix it by massaging settings on your OBiTALK device.

If this bug matches your symptoms, then please post over on the Google Voice help forum instead, so you can be added to the list of users reporting the problem.  Google Voice engineering is investigating it.

Note that modifying "expert" settings can be complex, and you may cause more problems.  If you want to eliminate the OBi as the cause of your problem, then follow the steps in my linked post below, starting at the bullet list:

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

drgeoff

Although an OBi can be configured to forward incoming calls to multiple endpoints that is not the default and must be done deliberately. In other words you would be aware that you had done it and would have an inkling of how to undo it.  Clearly you do not so neither your OBi device nor Obihai's infrastructure is responsible for your chaos.

Rather you appear to be unaware of the rationale behind GV. It is part of its design that incoming calls can be forwarded simultaneously to up to 6 endpoints logged in to your account. Your OBi is one but you have others.

You can see them and choose which endpoints will ring by logging in to voice.google.com. Note that you can still make calls from endpoints that don't have incoming calls forwarded to them.