News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Complicated issue, not sure where to post this

Started by Funions, September 22, 2011, 05:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funions

Hi all,

I want to do something that seems complicated (at least to me) with my Obi 110, and I want to see if it's possible. I want to forward 2 cell phones to a number (from a VOiP) and have them ring on my landline through Obi if someone calls either number. Now , I know that if I forward a single cell phone (I have verizon) to a VOiP, it will charge me if I receive calls or call out to that cell. So, my questions are this, 1) can I forward both cells to ring on my landline through the Obi? and 2) if I receive a call / make a call, is there a way to tell which cell is being called / calling out? I saw in the Obi directions that you can manage 2 different VoiP's through Obi, would I be able to just get 2 different numbers through some VOiP service, and route both to the Obi?

As a clairification, I have purchased the Obi, and am not currentlt set up for any VOiP, so I could do/purchase whatever would be necessary to make this happen.

Any help would be appreciated.

RonR

I've re-read your post several times, but I'm not able to figure out what your real objective is.

The OBi supports two VoIP accounts, which can be any combination of SIP providers and/or Google Voice, in addition to a PSTN Line.  It also supports a proprietary OBi-to-OBi comminications channel called OBiTALK.  CallerID is supported on all services and can be used to route calls to endpoints (the PHONE Port or Auto Attendant) or to other trunks (with limitations imposed on passing the CallerID on to other trunks).

Please try again to spell out more clearly exactly what you'd like to have the OBi do for you.

Funions

Yea, when I reread my post, I'm not even sure what I was saying! Lol.

I guess very simply, I want to not use my cell phones while at home because of the radiation. But, my wife and I depend heavily on our cells, so I want to forward the 2 cell phones to another line while we are at home. My question is, can I utilize Obi to do this with both phones, so if I get a call on either one, it will ring on my corded phone attached to the Obi unit?

Dav3yDark0

Quote from: Funions on September 23, 2011, 06:04:55 AM
Yea, when I reread my post, I'm not even sure what I was saying! Lol.

I guess very simply, I want to not use my cell phones while at home because of the radiation. But, my wife and I depend heavily on our cells, so I want to forward the 2 cell phones to another line while we are at home. My question is, can I utilize Obi to do this with both phones, so if I get a call on either one, it will ring on my corded phone attached to the Obi unit?

I think that would be dependent on whether or not your cell phone provider, and plan, allows call forwarding, this would not be a "feature" the OBi could provide, it is your phone company that would allow or disallow call forwarding.

Now if you and your wife had your own Google Voice accounts, you could have both of them running on 1 OBi and then set GV to ring your cell phones so that while you are away from the house you could still receive calls, in fact the OBi at home would still ring and be answerable too. GV does allow number porting from cell phones, so you should be able to get your current numbers onto GV accounts.

Dave

Funions

Quote from: Dav3yDark0 on December 31, 1969, 04:02:11 PM

I think that would be dependent on whether
Now if you and your wife had your own Google Voice accounts, you could have both of them running on 1 OBi and then set GV to ring your cell phones so that while you are away from the house you could still receive calls, in fact the OBi at home would still ring and be answerable too. GV does allow number porting from cell phones, so you should be able to get your current numbers onto

Dave

I have Verizon, so there's no problem forwarding the calls. Also, I can't port to google voice, because im still under contract with Verizon, and I don't want to pay the hefty cancellation fee.

Suppose I signed up for 2 Skype lines, and forwarded each of my phones to 1 of the lines. Now, if my computer is on, I will receive the forwarded call on Skype. Does Obi have the capability to receive the calls from BOTH Skype lines if my computer is off?

Dav3yDark0

Quote from: Funions on September 23, 2011, 08:21:54 AM
Quote from: Dav3yDark0 on December 31, 1969, 04:02:11 PM

I think that would be dependent on whether
Now if you and your wife had your own Google Voice accounts, you could have both of them running on 1 OBi and then set GV to ring your cell phones so that while you are away from the house you could still receive calls, in fact the OBi at home would still ring and be answerable too. GV does allow number porting from cell phones, so you should be able to get your current numbers onto

Dave

I have Verizon, so there's no problem forwarding the calls. Also, I can't port to google voice, because im still under contract with Verizon, and I don't want to pay the hefty cancellation fee.

Suppose I signed up for 2 Skype lines, and forwarded each of my phones to 1 of the lines. Now, if my computer is on, I will receive the forwarded call on Skype. Does Obi have the capability to receive the calls from BOTH Skype lines if my computer is off?

You don't have to cancel your current Verizon phone to port the #, you could keep your Verizon phones with new numbers, have the current #s ported to GV and then when someone calls your new GV #s (old Verizon #s) you can have it set up to ring your the new #s that are on your Verizon accounts as well as ring the OBi device at your home.

If you can forward your calls from Verizon then just forward them to your GV # when you are home, and turn off the forwarding when you leave. The nice thing about the method I mentioned is that you don't have to forward, or un-forward, every time you leave a location.

The OBi devices do not support Skype themselves, there are some SIP2Skype products that can make it work but they require a computer to be running.

Dave

QBZappy

Funions,

If you don't mind spending some money, this is what you probably need.

http://www.myxlink.com/products.aspx

XLink BTTN

If you want to connect one or more cell phones to your regular telephones but want to keep your standard telephone service or want to use a VOIP adapter box then the BTTN model is what you need. You can connect up to THREE cell phones to the BTTN model, as well as, one regular telephone input. This input can come from a regular phone line or from a VOIP (internet telephony) box such as Vonage or MagicJack. (Edit: or OBi110)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Funions

Quote from: QBZappy on September 23, 2011, 09:32:49 AM
Funions,

If you don't mind spending some money, this is what you probably need.

http://www.myxlink.com/products.aspx

XLink BTTN

If you want to connect one or more cell phones to your regular telephones but want to keep your standard telephone service or want to use a VOIP adapter box then the BTTN model is what you need. You can connect up to THREE cell phones to the BTTN model, as well as, one regular telephone input. This input can come from a regular phone line or from a VOIP (internet telephony) box such as Vonage or MagicJack. (Edit: or OBi110)

Thanks for the info! I actually purchased a device very similar to this, and returned it, as I didn't want to be exposed to thebluetooth combined  bluetooth and cellI radiation. I am trying to find a way to get my cell phones out of the equation, and have them forwarded entirely so they can be forwarded andcall used over a radiation free corded phone.

ProfTech

If I read your 2nd post correctly, what you're looking to do shouldn't be any trick at all. Was there a particular reason you wanted to forward the cell phones to separate numbers? You can simply sign up with your favorite VOIP provider and get a number. Then forward both cell phones to that number. Any time someone calls either cell phone, your phone in the house should ring. I'm not sure what you will see on your caller ID when the phone in the house rings. Seems to me like caller ID should still work but I am not positive.

I can't see where forwarding to two separate numbers is going to buy you anything since the single phone in the house will ring either way but if you really want this all you need to do is get two separate numbers [accounts] from the voip provider. The Obi is capable of handling two accounts.

RonR

Funions,

Simply configure your OBi with two Google Voice accounts on SP1 and SP2.  Declare the number on SP1 to be yours and the number on SP2 to be your wifes.  When you're home, forward your cell phones to your respective Google Voice numbers.  Incoming calls from either cell phone/Google Voice number will ring the OBi PHONE Port (with Call Waiting if the the phone is already in use).

You can give out your Google Voice numbers to anyone you want to be able to reach you when you're home but don't want to have your cell phone number.

Outgoing calls will go out either SP1 or SP2 (your choice) by default and the other line can be used instead with a **1 or **2 override.

Funions

Quote from: RonR on September 23, 2011, 10:48:34 AM
Funions,

Simply configure your OBi with two Google Voice accounts on SP1 and SP2.  Declare the number on SP1 to be yours and the number on SP2 to be your wifes.  When you're home, forward your cell phones to your respective Google Voice numbers.  Incoming calls from either cell phone/Google Voice number will ring the OBi PHONE Port (with Call Waiting if the the phone is already in use).

You can give out your Google Voice numbers to anyone you want to be able to reach you when you're home but don't want to have your cell phone number.

Outgoing calls will go out either SP1 or SP2 (your choice) by default and the other line can be used instead with a **1 or **2 override.

Thanks for the info! That's exactly what I was looking for. I was hoping it would be this simple, it just took me a couple posts to say what I was thinking, lol! Thanks everyone for all the good info, you've given me several options, and I really appreciate your help.

jimates

And you can change the ring for one of the SP services, so that you will know which cell number the call is coming in for.

Funions

UPDATE

The Obi works great! I have both phones forwarded and different rings through GV, thanks everyone for all your help!

Quote from: Dav3yDark0 on September 23, 2011, 08:29:50 AM

You don't have to cancel your current Verizon phone to port the #, you could keep your Verizon phones with new numbers, have the current #s ported to GV and then when someone calls your new GV #s (old Verizon #s) you can have it set up to ring your the new #s that are on your Verizon accounts as well as ring the OBi device at your home.

If you can forward your calls from Verizon then just forward them to your GV # when you are home, and turn off the forwarding when you leave. The nice thing about the method I mentioned is that you don't have to forward, or un-forward, every time you leave a location.

The OBi devices do not support Skype themselves, there are some SIP2Skype products that can make it work but they require a computer to be running.

Dave

I really want to port in my current verizon lines to GV now that I see how amazing the functionality is. However, I both called the store, and went in, and 2 different people said my verizon number was associated with my account and couldn't be changed while under contract without a cancellation fee. Furthermore, any porting to GV will automatically result in the ETF, regardless of what kind of notes they make on my acount, and there is nothing I can do about it (according to the employees at the store).

I really want to port over from Verizon, but am I really stuck with them until next July when my contract ends, or does anyone have any luck bypassing the ETF and getting their number changed on their phone?