News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What is the Best Router to work with Obi and GV

Started by Blacky, September 23, 2011, 07:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

Veronica,

I use a few routers. My favorite is always anything from Asus as they are very difficult to brick when you are installing 3rd party firmware. My current main router is the Asus RT-N16. I believe that our esteemed RonR used the WNR3500. He mentioned that he was happy with it.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

giqcass

I have had the ASUS (RT-N16) Wireless-N 300 since January and I have not had any problems with it.  I have used it with the PAP2NA and the OBi202 without any hiccups.  I picked this one because it also works well with open firmware.  I have NOT liked any of the multifunction routers I owned.

I use it with Dyn-DNS so I can forward direct incoming SIP request.  Factory firmware has just about any feature you could want.  If it doesn't have the feature just add DDR-wrt or tomato and you are golden.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Ostracus

I second the Asus (RT-N66U) and the Netgear (WNDR3700 & the 3500L). The latter two easy to brick if you're not paying attention.

MurrayB

I have had great success with the Amped Wireless High Power Wireless-N  Model R10000. I also use an Amped Wireless High Power
repeater.

Rick

I use a Netgear WRN3500l with no vegetables  :D   Stock.

Veronica

Thanks a bunch to all of you guys, im sold with the Asus RT-N16  ;D  ;)

Veronica

@QB Zappy for how long do you have the ASUS router, i've been reading and some are complaining about the router being dead after a while, or parts broken. I am thinking on getting it from amazon.com as newegg.com is not that reliable for me as i've hear that they sell refurbished devices without mentioning they are.

I know sometimes its a hit or a miss with this kind of things i just want to hear about your point of view about all this.

~ V

QBZappy

Veronica,

I have 2 Asus RT-N16 units connecting my office to my house using VPN. I have been using and abusing them for the last two years without any issues. Note that this model does not have dual band wireless. The newer more expensive model has this feature. If you don't care for that then the Asus RT-N16 should do fine.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

MikeHObi

Any router should essentially work.  When I'm looking for a router today, I want one that has dual radios and can use them both at the same time.  One should be 2.4ghz and one should be 5ghz.  if possible (when i use DD-WRT it is) I limit the 2.4ghz antenna to 802.11G and 802.11N, and the 5ghz antenna has 802.11N.

Thus those devices that can connect to the 5GHZ network benefit from less noise (less 5GHZ capable wifi routers out there).

I use DD-WRT because it works on the routers I have and I use WDS mesh networking in my home across 3 routers.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

rsnyc

I ordered the asus rt-n16 based on the discussion here since I do not have 5ghz devices for dual band anyway and am experiencing call quality issues. I just want to rule out my old router as a source of eth problem. Is there a good link for setting up tomato when I get this router? Thanks, im not too experienced with flashing to routers yet.

QBZappy

Installing on Asus Routers (RT-N16 and others)
http://tomatousb.org/tut:installing-on-asus-rt-n16

Tomato Firmware/Installation and Configuration
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tomato_Firmware/Installation_and_Configuration

Note there are several Tomato firmware out there. Since that router has USD you probably want a version that supports it.

A discussion on various versions of the firmware:
http://www.xtremecoders.org/forums/f78/best-tomato-firmware-mod-829/

rsnyc

thanks so much for the links. Router should arrive soon. One question I have about the firmware...is the performance boost only good for a wireless obi to router connection or will the firmware also help if the obi is directly wired to the router. I am experiencing some choppy calls on my old modem so I am hoping this router will improve call quality.

QBZappy

rsnyc,

A wired connection is always better when available. Voip is well within wireless abilities to deliver. Let us know your results.

PS
brush up on the QOS settings. That's the first thing you will need to set up if you want to manage users internet activity over the lan. If your internet is only used for voip you may not need to set up QOS.

You might hear someone in the house complaining "ANYONE DOWNLOADING ANYTHING OFF BIT TORRENT, OR WATCHING YOU TUBE, TURN IT OFF, I'M ON THE PHONE!!!"

ipse

My 2 cents (unsolicited :) )

I have a Linksys E4200 v1 with Tomato Shibby and NEVER had any issues with VoIP suffering when I download anything...Strong QoS makes any router worth 10x its value when running Tomato, DD-WRT or similar.
While any router will do for Obi connectivity, being able to set QoS rules is a must. Most manufacturer firmwares suffer from poor QoS implementation, hence my recommendation for Open Source.
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain

Ostracus

rsnyc

Quote from: QBZappy on December 21, 2012, 07:27:12 PM
rsnyc,

PS
brush up on the QOS settings. That's the first thing you will need to set up if you want to manage users internet activity over the lan. If your internet is only used for voip you may not need to set up QOS.

You might hear someone in the house complaining "ANYONE DOWNLOADING ANYTHING OFF BIT TORRENT, OR WATCHING YOU TUBE, TURN IT OFF, I'M ON THE PHONE!!!"

thanks. I got it setup and installed with tomato but I still get choppy calls. I am having a hard time figuring out how to prioritize with QoS settings or even figuring out how to put the obi at top of priority list. Do you have a screen shot of your setup or can you tell me what I should put for the obi to make it the highest match on QoS?

QBZappy

rsnyc,

Here is a discussion using QOS with Tomato firmware:
Tomato firmware setup on a router
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1102.0

I have since changed my QOS approach. At the time of discussion I only wanted to open up voip since I don't usually download or have people view sites like Youtube. I have since setup something similar to this other site:
This gives good info on how to set up with screen shots:
How to: Manage Traffic Using Tomato and QoS
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3800416/How-to-Manage-Traffic-Using-Tomato-and-QoS.htm

Background info:
What is QoS?
http://vonage.nmhoy.net/qos.html

Easiest thing to try is to prioritize everything from the OBi using it's MAC address (all ports). Make this the first rule. I think the order in which the rules are set up is important.

Take it from there and experiment. Don't forget to do a speed test in order to determine what the 90% values you will be using.

If ever you want to download torrents you will notice that it will be extremely slow, You can remember to turn off the QOS at night while you down load. This will have the effect of opening up the router to whatever app is calling on its resources.