News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

My line is no longer working

Started by nicnoc, July 25, 2019, 11:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicnoc

Edited: I've had a working obihai phone now for a year and a few months, using the obihai 202.
Now I can't receive or make calls.
Wow, wha hoppen? :-P
The power light is blinking green, while the last light on far right is solid.
I've restarted the obi numerous times as well as the router and modem.

Thanks for your help!

nicnoc

I puzzled over what is and how to work the DMZ setting:

"if the Echo Test call failed, please put the OBi device in the DMZ setting in your router's configuration."

drgeoff

Quote from: nicnoc on July 26, 2019, 06:22:48 AM
I puzzled over what is and how to work the DMZ setting:

"if the Echo Test call failed, please put the OBi device in the DMZ setting in your router's configuration."

Is the power LED still blinking green?  If yes it would appear that you have impaired reading and comprehension skills.

From the page I referred you to:

If the power LED is blinking GREEN, that indicates that the OBi device cannot get an IP address from your router. In other words, the OBi device cannot connect to the internet.

Verify if the ethernet cable is securely connected, and you see a link light on the router port on which your OBi device is connected to. For OBi202 users, verify you connect to the "Internet" port (blue label) and reboot your router.

Check to see if the power LED shows solid GREEN. Then try to call **9 222 222 222 to reach our echo test. If the Echo Test is successful, then the OBi device has internet access. If the Echo Test call failed, please put the OBi device in the DMZ setting in your router's configuration."

The most common reasons for the power LED of a 202 blinking green are:

1.  Ethernet cable not plugged in fully at both ends.

2.  Ethernet cable plugged into the LAN socket of the 202.

3.  Faulty ethernet cable. Try another one.

4.  Faulty port on router.  Try another one.

5.  Faulty Obi202.

Power LED flashing green will never be fixed by putting the OBi in router's DMZ.

nicnoc

Have replaced cables, ethernet didn't fix it but  replacing the other cable that connects to the obi internet port raised a solid green light.
the second light is now pulsing indicating data activity.
Hopefully one step forward, but yet to get normal phone function.

nicnoc

I didn't try the factory reset but tried dialing *** and chose 1 to hear the info, hung up, now
I have a good signal and could get a ring on my google line as usual. I gather that fixes it.
Thanks for your help and patience.

drgeoff

Quote from: nicnoc on July 26, 2019, 09:32:42 AM
Have replaced cables, ethernet didn't fix it but  replacing the other cable that connects to the obi internet port raised a solid green light.
You confirmed my initial suspicion.

What ethernet cable do you think the Obihai page and I were referring to?

nicnoc

I first swapped out the ethernet cable = which made no improvement.

Second I swapped the remaining cable and that seemed to bring up the solid power light.

drgeoff

Quote from: nicnoc on July 26, 2019, 10:54:04 AM
I first swapped out the ethernet cable = which made no improvement.

Second I swapped the remaining cable and that seemed to bring up the solid power light.
They are both ethernet cables.  Everything was telling you to focus on the cable between the OBi and your router.  That is the only one that affects the green power LED flashing or steady.

SteveInWA

Second I swapped the remaining cable

WHAT "remaining cable"?  That is what drgeoff keeps trying to point out.  What type of cable is it? Ethernet?  Power?  Telephone? What?

The OBi 202 has two Ethernet ports on the back.  One connects from a router to the OBi, and the other, optional port connects to other devices downstream, such as a computer.  The cable that would have been bad, and caused this failure, was the Ethernet cable between the router and the OBi.  The other port and its Ethernet cable could only cause this problem if THAT cable was plugged into your router AND it was defective.