News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call Obi

Started by WebNurse, July 12, 2019, 09:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WebNurse

Hello,

I am unable to get the ObiTalk site Call Obi to work. Instructions seem simple enough. Log in, click the Call Obi button, select the line, click call and enable the mic if needed. When I click call, the window flashes Starting Call for maybe a tenth of a second then Call Ended.

I have an Obi200 via WIFI to the router and an Obi202 hardwired to the router. The phone numbers are GV. Calls attempted are to / from area 727. I've tried calling selecting the softphone as well as the 200 and 202 from the speed dial. I've tried in Firefox and Chrome in both Windows 10 and Kubuntu 18.04 LTS. All have the same result. Also, the Call Obi dial pad does not work for me.

Both browsers make & receive calls in Gmail and Hangouts. Is there some browser or OS security setting I need to tweak for the Obi site? Any known issues with particular browser extensions? Point me in the right direction please.

Jesse

ShazamInForum

The "Call OBi" is not working and I don't think it's "high" priority to Poly to fix it.

If you are using Google Voice service, simply download/use Google Voice app on your smartphone.  Or, also Google Hangouts app.

if you use other VoIP services, reach out to them to see if they also have an app for smartphones.

Good luck!

drgeoff

Quote from: ShazamInForum on July 12, 2019, 10:25:31 AM
The "Call OBi" is not working and I don't think it's "high" priority to Poly to fix it.
Fixing anything, at least on the OBi consumer side, does not appear to be high priority.  :(

WebNurse

Thank you. At least it's good knowing I didn't misconfigure something.

If you are using Google Voice service, simply download/use Google Voice app on your smartphone.  Or, also Google Hangouts app.
Yes, I do use the Google Hangouts phone app in the U.S. as well as browser calling; however, some countries block Google calling or Google doesn't allow from some country...something about maintaining servers or user info in the particular country.

The purpose of calling through the browser, in the words of Obi, "From anywhere in the world, when logged in to your OBiTALK account using the Chrome or Firefox web browsers you can make calls to any number through your OBi device."

Since the call would be routed through the Obi device rather than the Gmail or Hangouts sites, a country's block of Google might be avoided and calling home is free.

Jesse