News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 - Outgoing fine, no incoming. Device has been reset.

Started by BranS, August 07, 2019, 07:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BranS

I realize this is an old problem, but I'm stumped here, as all the steps I've seen so far here have failed me.

I have a Obi202 device that was working fine. I needed more ports, so I picked up a Obi504 which I thought would work, but it appears that device refuses to operate with Google Voice. I'm not sure why, but it never showed up in devices and did nothing (Callcentric number works fine with this unit, however...)

I decided to re-install my Obi202 device. I:

Removed all devices from my ObiTalk account.
Reset the device to factory via the local web admin settings.
Deleted all mention of devices and accounts in my GV accounts.
Re-added the device via the dashboard.
Re-added my first GV account, which is the admin account for the device. It configured fine.
Added my second GV account, it configured fine.
Added a Callcentric account, it registered ok.
Verified that the GV accounts are forwarding to the Obi device on the web (and a sip number is shown in legacy settings.)
Waited a while then rebooted everything with a hard power pull.
Dialed *79 to disable DND
Checked that **9 222 222 222 was properly giving echo.

I can make outgoing calls without issue. Incoming calls simply go to Google's voicemail. I do not see these in the call history of the device, but outgoing calls do appear here. The Callcentric number receives calls without issue (it cannot dial out, it's an old freebie number.)

Everything I've found in the forum says, more or less, just wipe everything and start over. I've done this a few times, but have no incoming calls. I'm obviously missing something - what is it?

SteveInWA

The most likely reason for this, is that you authorized your OBi device's SP1/SP2 slots to the wrong Google accounts - accounts that do not have inbound Google Voice numbers.   The other possibility, although pretty hard to get wrong, is that you have not toggled on the OBi device for inbound calls on the Google Voice settings page.

Don't use the Legacy UI.  Use the new one:  https://voice.google.com/settings

Look closely at my two screenshots below.  You must authorize the SP's to use the correct Google/Gmail account(s) that hold your Google Voice number(s).  Google allows multiple accounts to be signed into the same web browser at the same time, so go back and look at the gmail addresses you used on the OBi device configuration page for each SP.

A less-likely scenario is that you modified the Legacy "Groups" settings, and the OBi device SPs are disabled there.

BranS

Thank you for the info. The devices are "on" according to your screenshots.

What I found was it apparently just took hours for incoming signaling to register, after about 8 hours the device seems to be operational. At least, FXS2 is now routing to the alarm panel dialer. I can't verify FXS1 is working until I have physical access to the box later tonight, as it simply rings the same number my cell does.

Since this has solved itself, can you tell me if the OBi504vs is still working with google voice? When I tried to set this unit up, it would never appear in the device listings. I tried the "nuke it and reset everything" method with no luck. A callcentric number seems to work fine, however.

Would it be better to open a new topic for this?

SteveInWA

The 504/508 units no longer work with Google Voice, and it appears that Poly isn't going to update them.

Nobody should be using those units with Google Voice anyhow, since acquiring multiple Google Voice numbers for any sort of commercial use is a violation of the Acceptable Use Policy, and most business VoIP users have migrated to IP phones vs. analog. 

Now that Google has a paid, business-class version of Google Voice for G Suite customers, that offering only supports the new-ish Poly VVX x50 IP phones, and it uses a completely different system to manage the devices.

BranS

That's lovely. It still claims to be GV compatible...

My use case is some old family numbers I ported to Google Voice (grandmother's number that we've had since 1963, etc.) and some other stuff like a number that rings in to an ancient home automation controller. It's mostly just stuff I think is interesting along with some numbers I've had forever and ported in. Mostly just because there is a lot of stuff out there that is technically neat but obsolete and requires a POTS connection...no business.

At least the device will still work as a SIP bridge. I guess I'll put it aside until I get time to spin up something else.